PDA

View Full Version : The Sunless Citadel PBP IC thread

Kujoe Dirte
2012-05-15, 07:03 PM
OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13236188#post13236188)

The goblin tribe infesting the the nearby ruins know as the sunless citadel ransoms a single piece of magical fruit to the highest bidder in Oakhurst once every midsummer. They've been doing this for the last twelve years. Usually, the fruit sells for around 50 gp, which is all the townspeople can bring themselves to pay a goblin. The fruit, apparently an apple of perfect hue, heals those who suffer from any disease or other ailment. They sometimes plant the seeds at the center of each fruit, hoping to engender an enchanted apple tree. When the seeds germinate in their proper season, they produce a twiggy mass of twisted sapling stems. Not too long after the saplings reach 2 feet in height, they are stolen-every time. The townsfolk assume that the jealous goblins send out thieves to ensure their monopoly of enchanted fruit.

The mystery's of the Sunless Citadel most recently brought together a band of local hero's who set out to discover the mystery behind the enchanted fruit. That group never returned and none have heard from them in over a month. Two of the members of that ill fated group were brother and sister, Talgen Hucrele and Sharwyn Hucrele. They were part of the famous Hucrele merchant family now living in Oakhurst. Kerowyn Hucrele, the matriarch of the family, heard of the adventuring group forming in town(you lot.). She offers salvage right to you and your group, if you can find and return with the two lost members of her family-or at least return the gold signet rings worn by the missing brother and sister. She offers up a reward of 500 gp per signet ring, per person if the missing Hucreles are brought back in good shape, she offers to double her reward. Before you leave she gives your group what little aid she can, a map, 3 potions of cure light, and all the thanks in world. You have received your quest and now stand outside of the Hucrele manor, you are determined to get the job done and now it is time to determine your next move...

You do not know each other well as you gathered at the tavern only a day ago. You are free to roam the town as you like and or RP among one another, or really do whatever you want though an unprepared adventurer is as good as dead.

Overland Map (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Sbq70EqPYhg/TiARE2K61tI/AAAAAAAAATM/Dw2-FRMfJFo/s320/overlandmap.jpg)

Town square Overview (http://dnd.sendric.com/adventures/core/htm/images-sc/image01.jpg)

Omeganaut
2012-05-15, 07:30 PM
Master Gonquill stood at the back of the group during the brief briefing. He decides that the inn is probably the best source of misinformation, so he goes over to the constable to ask the law officers of the town about what they know about the Goblins.
In case a roll must be made: [roll0]. All my Cha skills are the same, so it doesn't really matter.

UserClone
2012-05-15, 08:23 PM
Sencia will go and visit with Mrs. Hucrele as agreed.

SlyJohnny
2012-05-15, 08:57 PM
Wynnevaile is an elven woman with washed-out blonde hair that sometimes looks gray in the right light, making her look older than her years. She wears a full-body black coat that's grey with dust, and there are flecks of dried blood coating one of her sleeves. She's sipping from a glass of wine and has been quiet until everyone arrives.

"Well. We might not be acquainted for very long, but my name is Wynnevaile. You may call me Wynne, for brevity. I am a Pharasman cleric, and this town's undertaker. My healing powers are modest, but I will of course try to keep you all alive and well of body.

Yet, this task is dangerous. I want you to know that should you pass away, I will see to it that your remains are prepared and interred with respect, before being commended to Pharasma; that your family members and loved ones are notified of what happened to you; and that your final wishes are heard by those who will distribute your remaining possessions. I suggest you make a written record of these wishes, and the names and last known residences of those dear to you, and give me a copy of them before we set off."

She sips from her wine.

"On the job at hand... perhaps someone should inquire of any travelers passing through town if they passed the Hucrele children on the road. Someone who isn't me. I am not very good at such idle conversation. I have been told I make people uncomfortable." she says, as she stares fixedly at you with her unblinking gray eyes.

Rook.Gamer
2012-05-15, 08:59 PM
Salem looks at the group that has assembled to seek the lost heirs of the Hurcele family. Well I think we have a good chance for success with this fine band we have here, he says with a smile, looking around at his companions. As Sencia turns to head back into the manor house and Gonquill heads off toward the inn, the raven on Salem's shoulder squaks, Yeah sure, you can't even stick together long enough to catch each others' names, how're you going to watch each others backs? This is going to be a another short trip. Salem appears to adopt a well worn scowl, Poe, this won't be like the last time. They had a strong distrust of each other from the beginning and those ogre did nothing to strengthen the bonds of the group with the strange taunting we received at their cave. The bird squaks again but it sounds a lot like laughter, True and I for one didn't think their jibes were all that original, too on the nose for my tastes.

Questing Beast
2012-05-16, 06:32 AM
Duegrim

Blue eyed with a red Mohawk of hair this dwarf wears his visible hair in plaited locks. His armor is minimal for one of his race consisting of lighter materials rather than solid plates. A fine sharp axe carried in his right hand speaks of readiness for what dangers the road ahead holds. A single gauntlet on his right arm makes people think twice about brawling with him in a tavern. He sits near the hearth picking burrs from the fields crossed traveling to this town out of his boots and listening to the others speak. Grunting an agreement when Wynnevaile mentions talking to travelers and a snort of derision when Salem and his birds start talking to one another in a conversation no one but themselves could possibly follow. "Just because you and I are not pretty does not mean we cannot ask questions. Not everyone can be as beautiful as a bearded maiden swinging an axe in battle. With that said he walks over to the bartender to schmooze about the citadel while also discuss brewing and human ale's. Duegrim drops enough coin for three mugs of ale on the bar-top but only orders two drinks.

Profession (Brewer) [roll0]
Diplomacy [roll1]

Northman
2012-05-16, 09:40 AM
Cyrrack Isale

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/4084/cyrrack2.jpg

An imposing and well-armed man, Cyrrack dwarfs most people. He wears a worn, but sturdy, breastplate armor with spiked gauntlets and a large round steel shield. His several weapons include a trident spear, a well-used sword, a sturdy warhammer and a vicious-looking knife.

During the meeting with Hucrele, with whom he had done work for in the past, he had sat silent with a stern look. It wasn’t that he didn’t care for the fate of Talgen and Sharwyn – in his business it was often smart to show respect to your employer – it was simply that he was more concerned with the terms of his, and his newfound companions’, contract. To him the deal sounded simple, but would probably be tough. The fact that there might be a monetary bonus always caught Cyrrack’s attention.

When the companions gathered later, he listened to what the others had to say. The shifty one seemed to have a plan of information gathering. Te Elves, well – Cyrrack didn’t really mind what they said as long he could admire their beauty, but he had to admit the priestess was a little unsettling. The wizard and his raven was certainly a tactical relief to have on the team – of which Cyrrack probably favored the raven at the moment. The bird’s professionalism, however apparent its comment was, was admiring. And then the dwarf with the Mohawk, a man Cyrrack believed he would spend many moments in the frontlines with, also made a good point: What’s stopping the priestess, or anyone else from asking questions?

But Cyrrack put his thoughts away for a moment. ”Well, I for one agree that proper introductions should be in order. I am Cyrrack, and if I should be so unfortunate to meet my maker,” he eyed the priestess, ”and I find you to be a likeable lot, I’ll jot down a list of who I want you to stick my belongings into,” he said with a smirk. A mercenary no doubt had enemies, which came as no surprise, but Cyrrack had no intentions of elaborating on this to what he considered strangers.

”Even so,” he said, ”the Dwarf has a point: Why couldn’t you ask people, you live here after all,” but it was only a minor concern.

”But I’m sure you have your reasons. I suggest we first and foremost figure out what equipment we need for this mission. Do we need specialized weapons or tools? Extra provisions or a mule? Information about the Citadel will help, but we can still start planning.”

OOC
I’ll keep the picture out of future posts in order to be bandwidth-friendly to you all.

Also, here’s a list (Cyrrack can provide it) of Cyrrack’s equipment:
Rope with grappling hook
Lantern and oil (only for about 3 hours worth)
Flint and steel
Basic essentials (Bedroll, a little provisions, soap)

I personally have some suggestions, but figured they could all be voiced in-character once we know a little more about what we face.

Kujoe Dirte
2012-05-16, 03:14 PM
Gonquill:
You make your way to the constable, only yo be stopped at the entrance by two guards, "We'll need you to stop right there citizen, only the mayor and guard personnel allowed in here, unless you have other business with the jailor." You try to convince them to let you in but your skill with words is next to none they shoo you off and tell you to head to the Mayor or inn if you wish for information.

Duegrim:
The bartender gladly receives your two beers and seems to be lightened up by the extra coin, upon his return you strike up a rather hearty conversation on ale with your good share of laughs. When you bring up the Sunless Citadel however his face goes grim and his voice deep. "You mean to tell me you intend to travel to then den of fiends, what good can be found in that I ask you?" He shakes his head then continues, "You seem to be a good lad though so I'll let you in on some information, I just hope it's for the best. Last time anyone ever came to me asking about the place was some 13 years ago, a grim man he was named ah what was it now...Belak that was it he came in asking all sort's of strange question bout the place, he never came back after he left for the Citadel sure hop you don't come to the same fate. I have heard rumors but no real evidence that the Citadel once served as an Ancient Dragon Cult, there's no real evidence not that I know of anyway. If such is true then they must have been very secretive about it, my gramps told me he used to live in the shadow of the place and had never seen anyone enter or leave, about fifty year back an earthquake brought the place down and it fell down into a ravine, now it lurks deep beneath the earth, since then bandits have infested the place but some say that somehow the place is still almost fully intact. That seems impossible I know as it had crumbled long ago, I don't know if any of it is ture or not but if you plan on heading out there some lights and a rope would definitely be mighty useful."

Sencia:
As the rest of your group retires to the inn you have other plans in mind regarding your debt to the Hucrele family, which Kerowyn keeps trying to tell you not to worry yourself with. Nevertheless you head back anyway to speak with her alone. You knock on the door at first there is no answer but you wait a few moments and Kerowyn is at the door and shocked to see you, "Your back so soon Sencia don't tell me...Oh yes your here to speak with about you 'debt'. 'Sigh' what you are doing for me know is more than enough to repay ant debt you think you ow towards me Sencia, just come back alive and our debt is settled." She smiles broadly, "Now if you'll excuse me running the business on my own is hard work, and you know how customers cane be." She smirks.

Sheep Overlord
2012-05-16, 04:09 PM
Kathas returns the undertaker's unblinking stare, his professional respect for clerics warring with his general dislike for elves. Briefly overcoming his tendencies towards silence, he gruffly informs the elf that "Should I fall, elf, the only hand you shall have in my burial is that of the hearse-driver. I shall be buried according to the old customs, of which I'm sure you have forgotten."

Despite his distaste for elves, he decides that the wispy human looks the shiftiest and decides to follow him, clapping his fellow dwarf on the back on his way out the door. These people are strangers to him yet, and they would need all their strength to overcome this challenge in time. The loss of a companion so soon due to... ill restraint, would serve only to hinder their progress.

Rook.Gamer
2012-05-16, 05:26 PM
Salem follows the others heading for the inn after a moment's introduction. I appologize for my companion's rude interjection, I am Salem and my wingman here is Poe. I agree that it would be best for us to find out what information we can and then sort out what equipment and tools would serve us best in our journey.

Wynnevaile, I am honored to have you look after my final arrangements, though I do hope it doesn't come to that.

Cyrrack, friend dwarfs, can I buy you all a drink?

Questing Beast
2012-05-16, 06:04 PM
Duegrim

Downing his first drink with a few quick gulps and nodding at the words of the bartender he chuckles deeply, "Heh, I suspected the lights after hearing the name of der place. Do ye have any idea of how much rope it will be needing? I have a bit coiled and available but to little rope not only makes for a long drop going down but it also makes a hard time to get yerself back out of the hole." Hearing the words of his fellow Dwarf relieves his anxiety about other cultures a bit knowing that he will indeed be returned to his peoples arms in death. Gesturing a friendly salute with his second drink as Kathas claps his back and listening to Salem's interjection brings a smile to his face as the offer of a drink brings him around, "Certainly another drink would be fine." Swigging down his current half empty mug he plunks the mug down onto the bar for the bartender to refill. "I did not intend to be rude if that is how I sounded. I just though the conversation with your talking bird, odd. My apologies if you were offended I have been told by my elders that I tend to grate on some people occasionally." With that he happily belches loud enough to rattle the mugs on the bar looking quite pleased with himself for being so convivial. Turning to face the human warrior and gesturing in a happy manner with an open palm, "At least I know Cyrrack has good taste in women since he agrees with my point about bearded battle maidens. Looking troubled for a split second, "I hope he does not mean it to be a competition for their attention once we find some. I suspect if he had a beard he would be almost too pretty for many maidens to resist." Stroking his beard with sudden insight knowing it and his charm are the two major bits of advantage he holds over the human.

Northman
2012-05-16, 06:25 PM
Cyrrack Isale

Never a man to turn down a free drink, Cyrrack nodded. ”Well, if you are buying, how could I say no?” he said with a smile.

The dwarf warrior with the Mohawk also seemed to be of the same mindset and returned his attention once again to the rest of the party. His comment on Cyrrack’s taste in women, however, was…misplaced.

”I, uh. I’m pretty sure I didn’t say that, master Dwarf. But if you like beards…then good for you. I’m sure Dwarf women are a good lot, but for the sake of comradery,” and my own sanity, Cyrrack thought, "I’ll let you have the stub, bearded women, deal?” He offered his tankard in a toast.

”Learn anything from the bartender?”

UserClone
2012-05-16, 07:48 PM
Sencia:
As the rest of your group retires to the inn you have other plans in mind regarding your debt to the Hucrele family, which Kerowyn keeps trying to tell you not to worry yourself with. Nevertheless you head back anyway to speak with her alone. You knock on the door at first there is no answer but you wait a few moments and Kerowyn is at the door and shocked to see you, "You're back so soon Sencia don't tell me...Oh yes you're here to speak with me about your 'debt'. She sighs. What you are doing for me now is more than enough to repay any debt you think you owe towards me, Sencia, just come back alive and our debt is settled." She smiles broadly, "Now if you'll excuse me, running the business on my own is hard work, and you know how customers can be." She smirks.

"Of...of course, Madam Hucrele. I'll just take my leave, then."

Sencia arrives in the tavern moments later. She drops coin on the table for a glass (a glass, dammit, not a mug!) of the best ale this inn can muster.

Omeganaut
2012-05-16, 09:10 PM
Gonquill goes to the mayors office, reasoning he can catch up with the others before they set out. He stops the first person he can find inside, and asks them "Could you tell me more about the Goblins and where they live? I'm part of the group going after that tragic group of young heroes, so I would appreciate any help i could get"

lets roll a better diplomacy check, shall we? [roll0]

Questing Beast
2012-05-16, 09:45 PM
Duegrim

Laughing with deep earthy tones as if Cyrrack's comment about not actually saying he prefers bearded women was hilarious. Duegrim manages to catch his breath, "Ay indeed I did find out a few things. It seems that it is both underground and dark so we should take precautions such as bringing rope and light." He gestures towards his pack with an obvious coil of rope hanging around it, "What we need to find out is if we will need more and we shall also need to lay hands on more torches or such. I would guess that some of our companions while about to produce light may not have enough of it for a long journey."

Duegrim also relays the other information the bartender gave in the spoiler.

UserClone
2012-05-16, 10:17 PM
"Well I have a couple of sunrods, but to be honest, I wouldn't really be comfortable carrying more than I already am. It'll be difficult enough stumbling about in the darkness over potentially treacherous terrain without further complicating the matter with carrying too much."

You haven't really paid her much mind before, but now you wonder why you hadn't noticed her before. This elf maiden is positively beautiful by elven standards. She has deep violet eyes, and her chestnut brown hair falls in large bouncing curls, and it's tied up in a practical traveler's ponytail. The most obvious other thing about her, besides the sturdy-looking crossbow slung over her shoulder and the slender knife hanging from a strap in her chest, is the immaculate set of hand drums which hangs carelessly from her belt, as though she wants to be ready to play them at any time.

Questing Beast
2012-05-17, 06:06 AM
Duegrim

Turning to have another chat with the bartender he is slightly uneasy for not having noticed the other person previously. Looking at the elf he gives her a quick once over and nods his head at her words, "I can tote the things lady but I'm also nobodies pack mule so if you all need them as long as everyone takes what load they can I will do the same."

Northman
2012-05-17, 10:09 AM
Cyrrack Isale

Cyrrack certainly didn't mind the sudden interruption by the silent female elf.

"Well, I can't promise I can carry all your stuff, either, but I'm sure I can carry a lot more than my own equipment, miss..?" he said with a smile, hoping to catch her name.

When he got his reply, he added: "But as he says," he pointed towards the barbarian, "A mule or donkey might serve us well, unless you dwarves have some better pack animals hidden away in your caves?"

UserClone
2012-05-17, 03:37 PM
Ignoring Cyrrack at first, she turns to Duegrim. She takes a wider stance, lowering her center of gravity and bringing her eye to eye with the Dwarf. In Dwarven, she says, :Ah, of course I didn't mean to make a mule of you, brother of earth. Blessed be your fathers for granting you the strong back and stour heart of a Dwarf.:

She finishes the greeting by gripping Duegrim's right forearm in standard Dwarven custom, with as much grip strength as she can muster. Her knuckles turning white from the strain, she remembers Cyrrack and calls over her shoulder, "Sencia's the name. Sencia Harbek."

Anyone familiar with Elven will probably recognize her first name as such, and those familiar with Dwarven surnames may be surprised to discover she sports one.

SlyJohnny
2012-05-18, 08:05 AM
As Kathas gets up to leave, Wynne calmly says, "I assure you I take my charge very seriously. I am familiar with a vast range of historic funerary customs, including many that are no longer practiced due to the disappearance of the cultures and tribes that created them. But perhaps that is a subject for another time. Good day, human." There's the merest tinge of annoyance in her voice; the implication that Kathas might know about some death custom that she hasn't already studied and practiced in minute detail is the first thing to get an emotional reaction out of her, so far.

She turns to Sencia, "I have a few sunrods I could add to your supply. And I can make as many light sources as we are likely to need. It is a simple orison." She demonstrates by raising her glass and murmuring a short prayer as she runs her hand up and down it, rhythmically tapping her holy symbol against it, and causing it to emit light with the brightness of a freshly-lit torch.

She finishes her wine and stands to leave. "Well. Once your have finished your drinks and made your final preparations, should we meet outside on the road and be off?"

Questing Beast
2012-05-18, 06:50 PM
Duegrim

Nodding his head at what Kathas says regarding the light and hitting the road, "It sounds like we have quite a bit but even with those rods it will eat up three a day. I suggest that each of us who can add to their load do so and that we use up cheap bulky resources first such as my rope and torches and we use the rods on an as needed basis. I'm sure we can scrounge up a few more torches from the locals." Clapping his hands together and walking to his pack and checking his belongings over before shouldering them, "Let us hit the merchant's shop on our way out of town."

UserClone
2012-05-18, 07:00 PM
"Huh. Leave it someone who can see in pitch darkness to quibble over light sources. With Wynne's magic, I don't see why we'd need torches, unless it's to set things on fire. And I have some tindertwigs for that.

In any case, you're right, Wynne, we really should be going. The sooner this is done with, the sooner we can go our separate ways."

Sencia waves her hand casually at the door, and it swings open.

Omeganaut
2012-05-18, 10:49 PM
Master Gonquill, unable to locate anyone in the mayors office who will speak to him, moves on to the Merchants building. Perhaps someone there could tell him more specifics on the goblins. He is somewhat surprised to find the rest of the party has gathered there. Ask they all seem to be talking about what more equipment they need to purchase, Gonquill takes the opportunity to speak up. "Hello fellow goblin-slayers. I should say that I do have some rope of my own, as well as some tricks for getting through their locks and finding their lairs." With his rather lengthy speech said, Gonquill stands back to let the conversation flow on without him.

Kujoe Dirte
2012-05-19, 04:25 PM
General Store: The General store is run by a man in his late thirties by the name of Trevas, long with his 14 year old boy the two of them run the only general store in Oakhurst and make quite living out of it. The general store sells all Adventuring gear, food and simple weapons at regular price.

Healer: The healer is run by a very elderly man late seventies you assume, in a small shack by the New Road. The man is kind and when/if you tell him about your work in Oakhurst he gives a modest discount of 10% on his wears. He sell's alchemical reagents, healers kit's normal and masterwork, several potions (1st level divine spells for the most part) and some magic wands, at the moment he only has three all of which are for cure light wounds, he will sell them to you for 10 gp a charge (Discount does not apply to this).

Wand 1:[roll0]
Wand 2:[roll1]
Wand 3:[roll2]

Blacksmith: Shark the town blacksmith(as he calls himself) runs a small little smithy near the edge of town, though the place might not look that nice he has a fine variety. He sells all basic weapons and armors at regular price, apart from exotic weapons which cost an extra 10% and can make any weapon masterwork for an extra 200gp, it takes him eight hours to do such.

Mayor: The Mayor is busy at this time and the guards merely shoo you away if you go near unless it is urgent or your diplomatic, you doubt you will have any chance of getting by the stubborn guards.

When you are prepared to leave give me your marching order and we shall set off!

Questing Beast
2012-05-19, 07:08 PM
Duegrim

Nodding to Sencia's comment regarding light sources and quibbling, "You are correct, feel free to run out of light since I will still be able to see in the darkness." With that he puts the silver coins he had removed from his pouch for torches onto the counter and asks the storekeeper instead for a few extra days of rations and more rope. Looking at the self professed lock-picker he shakes the mans hand while looking him in the eyes, "I am Duegrim, Axeman and warrior of clan Lehmlager." Once the shopkeeper has his goods Duegrim gathers them up and walks out to the porch of the shop to sort them into his pack and wait for the others.

Northman
2012-05-20, 07:43 PM
Cyrrack Isale

Cyrrack nodded politely when Sencia said her name.

Finishing his drink, he also agreed to head over to the merchant and pick up some more equipment. ”I have a lantern and some oil, but adding a few torches to supplement the magical light seems smart. Some extra rations and maybe another rope for me, as well, also sounds reasonable,” he says and follows the ones headed for the merchant’s.

Once at the general store, Cyrrack browses the equipment for a little while.

After Gonquill entered, and Duegrim greeted him, Cyrrack offered his hand in a greeting. ”I’m Cyrrack. I got no axe, but I’m pretty good with what I do have,” he said with a smile. The man was well-armed.

After that, Cyrrack quickly returned to the wares. When he had decided what might come in handy, he walked up to the counter and spoke. ”Greetings. I’d like some sturdy rope and five pitons and a hammer to go with it. I’d also like ten torches and four pints of oil, as well as a waterskin and five days worth of rations. A signal whistle would also be good to have, and some chalk – make it five pieces. I also noticed you have some good throwing spears over there. One of them would be nice, I don’t think my wallet would allow me two, but toss in that small keg of ale over there,” he pointed towards a keg with a gallon worth of ale – Cyrrack figured the dwarves would gladly help him cut through the one he already had, so he bought one extra just in case.

Paying up by emptying his money pouch, the warrior was left with only five copper pieces. Glancing at his comrades, he smirked and spoke ”Well, I guess we better succeed in our little expedition for me to pay my rent,” before proceeding to stuff equipment into, or strap it on, his backpack. It looked pretty stuffed by now. ”Hmm,” Cyrrack made a concerned sound. ”Perhaps someone should invest in some extra sacks or other containers, as well?”

OOC
In addition to some sacks or extra backpacks, it might not be so bad to include some firewood. The only problem is that it weights a ton (well, a lot, anyway).

I bought:
Rope, 1gp
5 pitons, 5sp
Hammer, 5sp
10 torches, 1sp
4 pints of oil, 4sp
Waterskin, 1gp
5 days of rations, 2gp 5sp
Signal Whistle, 8sp
5 pieces of chalk (you’d be surprised how handy this can be), 5cp
Javelin, 1gp
1 gallon of ale, 2sp
Total: 8gp 5cp, leaving me with 5cp

Sheep Overlord
2012-05-21, 08:01 PM
As the human mused aloud about the possibility of extra storage, Kathas trudged up the path behind him slowly, one hand leading an unprotesting pony towards the group. In his other hand was a long spear, archaic in styling, which he seemed to be using as a walking stick. The clanking of his armor gave warning enough of his approach; he said nothing until he reached the others and came to a stop.

"Here be the solution to your problems, laddie," said the dwarf as he patted the pony almost proudly. "She's good stock, and knows well enough not to run away if there's a commotion. Getting lost in the caves of my home is far more dangerous than facing a few goblins, isn't that right, lass?" He seems to be addressing the pony with this last comment.

"Her name," he says - and fleetingly, the faintest hint of red mars his cheeks and is gone - "is Harkur. A fine dwarven name for a fine dwarven beast. She's already loaded with enough feed to last her for a while, and some firewood and empty sacks to boot. Feel free to load her up as you please, so long as she's not overburthened; she's a strong pony, and she won't run away at the first signs of trouble."

For those of you who can speak Dwarven:

Harkur is, of course, Dwarven for Tiger Lily. :P

Omeganaut
2012-05-22, 09:16 PM
Gonquill notes how the other adventurers have all procured multiple light sources, and so he does the same, purchasing a sun-rod for emergencies and about twenty torches to fill out the burden. He consults with Kathas over the best way to load up the pony, and proceeds to mess it up and have to fix it. He is, however, extremely efficient and successful the second time, and soon he is ready to set off. "Do you think this trip will be rather long? I wish to spend as much time there to take care of what needs taking care off."

Questing Beast
2012-05-25, 01:10 PM
Duegrim

Seeing a few of this "Fellowship" getting the pony ready Duegrim grunts loud enough for those in the street to hear him, "I think it be time to go. We have dawdled long enough for the trees to grow moss." With that said he starts a slow enough pace up the road for everyone to catch him with a comfortable stride.

SlyJohnny
2012-05-25, 01:24 PM
Wynne nods.

"It is good to be prepared, but we have planned as much as we can with the information we have."

So saying, she sets off after the dwarf.

UserClone
2012-05-25, 02:08 PM
Sencia sets herself to playing a lively beat on her drums, something good to march to.

[roll0]

Sheep Overlord
2012-05-25, 07:07 PM
Leading the pony, Kathas follows a good distance behind, mumbling to himself under his breath about something you can't quite catch.

Kujoe Dirte
2012-05-25, 11:02 PM
The party leaves Oakhurst and begins there trek down the Old Road in respective order. The overgrown Old Road winds through rocky downs, near stands of old-growth oak, and past two abandoned farm houses. The lonely road is empty of all travelers or animals except for you. The distance between Oakhurst and the Sunless Citadel via the Old Road is seven miles and it takes you till nightfall to finally reach the dark and looming ravine.

The Old Road passes to the east of a narrow ravine. At the roads closest approach to the cleft, several broken pillars jut from the earth where the ravine widens and opens into something more akin to a deep, but narrow, canyon. Two of the pillars stand straight, but most of them lean against the sloped earth. Others are broken, and several have apparently fallen into the darkness-shrouded depths. A few similar pillars are visible on the opposite side of the ravine. A rope noticeably hangs from one of the pillar's and down into the dark ravine.

The Ravine (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_KQD7vZRiVNo/SxW-FMlWV5I/AAAAAAAACFc/5SGzcUB3Uvc/s1600/The+Sunless+Citadel+-+Adobe+Reader.bmp)

UserClone
2012-05-25, 11:32 PM
Sencia kicks the pillar(s) to which the rope is tied. Seeming satisfied that they aren't budging, she then kneels down to inspect the rope. Does it seem old and weather beaten, or usable and sturdy?

SlyJohnny
2012-05-25, 11:49 PM
Wynne drifts over to where the rope is tied, her sword drawn, its thin blade glowing with a light spell she cast on it earlier in the march. She idly wonders what she can remember of the Citadel's history, or whether she recognizes the symbols on the pillars as having some significance. She runs her hand over the rope, testing for dampness or mildew or any sign that it's been here a while, and peers down into the chasm. "Well. I daresay goblins have the advantage in the dark, but it's unlikely to be much brighter down there during the day. Do we make camp up here, or climb down tonight?"

She removes fifty feet of rope from her pack, looking over to see who else has brought rope.

"We should use our own ropes to climb down. We are certain of their provenance."

If the group votes to climb down immediately, she will nod solemnly, and head along down with them, untying the rope already there and replacing it with her rope and that of the groups. If they vote to make camp and wait till morning, she will keep the first few watches, longbow held ready.

Knowledge: History [roll0]

Questing Beast
2012-05-26, 10:07 AM
Duegrim

Nodding at the wisdom of what Wynne suggests, "If I were to guess I would think that this rope," running his hand under the rope, "was left here by the group we are searching for. It would behoove us to at least search the area before going down to see if there are any bodies or cached supplies on the surface." Testing the sturdiness of the various posts to find a few for slinging ropes to. "I have a hundred feet of rope, if we have enough amongst us I suggest that we use two ropes for climbing down. One for the person climbing the other as a safety tied to them in case they loose grip." Duegrimm walks to the edge and peers over obviously not concerned about the drop below him, when he steps back he starts pulling up the rope currently over the edge to find out it's length and check it's quality and durability coiling it next to the pillar once he is satisfied by each part he examines. He then begins crisscrossing the area in a grid pattern around the surface to search for any clues.

How deep is the ravine? If Duegrimm cannot see the bottom in the current light he picks up a small stone and drops it in waiting for the sound of it hitting the bottom to judge the distance. I'm not sure what check you want for examining the rope so I'll go with survival for now and we can substitute the right skill if needed.

Examining Rope = Survival [roll0]
Search area = Survival [roll1]

UserClone
2012-05-26, 12:59 PM
Sencia gets really annoyed that she seems to be invisible to Wynne and Duegrim both. She strikes a sunrod and, tucking it in her belt, immediately begins climbing down the knotted rope.

[roll0]

Northman
2012-05-26, 01:16 PM
Cyrrack Isale

”That sounds good,” Cyrrack replied Duegrim. ”There should be enough rope to go around,” he said and moved over to the pole with the rope attached. He waited while people checked it.

”I gather it reaches the bottom, so by pulling it up, we’ll see how much we need – at the very least,” he explained, but in everyone’s busyness, it seemed only Duergrim heard him, and Sencia – out of impatience it seemed – started climbing.

”Oh, great,” Cyrrack said and hurriedly secured a rope of his own. ”I would’ve preferred to undon my armor, but I’m not letting anyone climb down blind or unprotected,” he said obviously thinking it a bad idea for the elf to climb down alone.

Fastening his equipment as best as he could, he produced his hammer and pitons and proceeded to climb.”I’ll secure this rope with pitons while climbing,” he informed the rest as he climbed into the darkness below.

OOC1d20+3 Climbing with armor, but without shield

Kujoe Dirte
2012-05-26, 01:18 PM
Examining the Rope that already hangs there you feel it and guarantee it is quite sturdy, to top that off you notice the rope also has been knotted for support making it easy to climb down.

The pillars are generally worn and broken and only a handful would be able to support your weight, luckily the two the rope is tied too seem to be quite stable.

Duegrim:
Looking over the edge of the Ravine you cannot see the bottom even with your darkvision. You examine the rope thorough to find it is very sturdy and is even knotted. You begin to pull up the long rope, it takes you a fair amount of time of pulling and heaving but eventually you get it up. The rope is some 80ft long and is knotted all the way down you assume that the rope was actually 100ft at least, the end of the rope is slightly damp and worn, it would appears as if something as been chewing on the end of it.

After you finish with the rope you take a moment to observe your surroundings, the ground and the ravine itself. You spot old and weathered hand and footholds carved into the cliff face, however they are to small for someone of your size to use effectively, Goblin is what comes to mind. Also you spot that a small are in and around on of the pillars shows sights of countless campfires uses some of them recent some not so much. However, someone seems to have gone out of their way to to hide to conceal any signs of use.

Wynne:
You recognize the carvings on the pillars to be graffiti, written in Goblin. They warn of potential danger to trespassers and other ominous statements, you do notice however that the writing is much unlike how Goblins would normally right and is much more intelligent. You reason these were not written by goblins.

Northman
2012-05-26, 01:23 PM
OOC: Since editing doesn't allow rolls (I forgot, since I missed the post before me while writing my own), here's my climb roll: [roll0]
EDIT: OUCH

Kujoe Dirte
2012-05-26, 01:36 PM
Sencia:
You make your way down the knotted rope with ease, you climb down for a long while when you are about 30 ft down you can barely make out the features of a ledge below you continue down with steadfast determination, all is well you are only 20 ft from the ledge. You take a moment to examine it. A sandy ledge overlooks a subterranean gulf of darkness to the west. The ledge is wide but rough. Sand, rocky debris, and the bones of small animals cover it. A roughly hewn stairwell zigs and zags down the side of the ledge, descending into darkness.

You begin to take a step onto the platform when a small arrow flies out from the dark a jolt of pain runs through you and you give a shout of help to those above, the shot is followed by fell shrieks and commands of an all to memorable loud and screeching voice, Goblins!

Not long after you see the falling body of Cyrrack crash into the stone floor beside you and he falls into unconsciousness on impact. You can barely make out into the light of your sunrod as the goblin rogue peeks his head out of his hiding place on the stone stairs he spots Cyrrack lying there and looks up to the top of the ravine and begins barking commands, you here the growl of a ferocious animal follow it is similar to that of a dog.

[roll]1d4+1d6 Messed up on the roll, you take 5 points of damage.

Cyrrack:
You hurriedly secure a rope of your own the same size as the other 80ft and begin to climb down it. Without the knots to secure your decent you quickly lose you grip and the weight of your armor cause's you to plummet into the ravine. Lucky for you you had made your way down a little more than half before your grip let up but that doesn't slow you down any as your body smashes into the stone floor. You mange to look up to see Sencia with an arrow stuck in her shoulder before falling into unconsciousness, you hear the sounds of growls before all goes black.

[roll1] Almost max roll :) That should knock you to -4 if I'm correct.

It is not long before the rest of you hear Sencia's shout of pain, and the voice of an all to familiar tongue, Goblins! Short after her shout for help you hear a loud smashing noise as Cyrrack and his heavy armor smash into the floor below, at least you know that the pit has an end now. You only have split second to prepare yourselves but your allies clearly are in need of aid.

Combat Commences!

Give me a sec to get ready will have another post in a sec

Kujoe Dirte
2012-05-26, 02:28 PM
Initiative:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Sencia:[roll4]
Cyrrack:[roll5]
Salem:[roll6]
Kathas:[roll7]
Gonquil:[roll8]
Duegrim:[roll9]
Wynnevaile:[roll10]

Initiative Order:
Wynnevaile <--
Dog 3
Goblin
Dog 2
Duegrim
Sencia
Gonquil
Salem
Cyrrack
Dog 1
Kathas

Gazing into the ravine you can spot a ledge now illuminated by Sencia's sunrod. A sandy ledge overlooks a subterranean gulf of darkness to the west. The ledge is wide but rough. Sand, rocky debris, and the bones of small animals cover it. A roughly hewn stairwell zigs and zags down the side of the ledge, descending into darkness. From the cliff overlooking the Ravine you can make out below, only barely, the unconscious body of Cyrrack lieing face down on the sandy ledge, as well as Sencia who is standing at the base of the other rope clutching the arrow in her left shoulder. From here you can spot the goblin rogue crouching on the stairs to keep hidden from Sencia you do not think he knows that the rest of you lurk above. By the goblin are two Mangy dog like creatures, this dog has the same flat nose, beady eyes and protruding teeth as a rat grown grotesquely large, it is bare of fur and altogether is a grotesque animal.

the Goblin and dogs have cover at their current position, and the other of the three dogs is not visible to any one at the moment. Climbing down the rope takes two move actions(A full turn essentially), the knotted rope requires a DC 0 climb as where the other requires a DC 5 climb, only small creatures can use the handholds leading down effectively all others require a DC 10 to climb down. For calculating distance for range remember that the ledge is 80 ft down as well as actual distance.

The Ravine battle map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnnYofV3HS0jdC1aRGM3VFhSUHJ2anJfcmx1QWFsb lE&pli=1#gid=0)

Those on the surface are not necessarily standing were I placed them feel free to place yourself were you were standing.

UserClone
2012-05-26, 03:04 PM
((CHA-OS! BECAUSE IT'S LOTS-OF-FUN! CHAOS! IT'S FUN FOR EV-ERY-ONE!))

@DM:

Sencia will hit up her buddy with a cure light wounds first chance she gets.

Questing Beast
2012-05-26, 04:35 PM
Duegrim

"Petulant child of an Elf! If the human dies it be on yer head. If I fall you'll be even less happy than facing those Gobo's alone." Having no time at all but even less time if something goes disastrously wrong again Duegrim yanks the shield off of his arm (move action) and drops it to the ground then grabs the knotted rope he stands next to and swings out into the ravine going as far as he can (Standard Action 1/2 way).

Duegrim is using the knotted rope next to him.
Climb: [roll0]

SlyJohnny
2012-05-26, 06:10 PM
Wynne curses inwardly, wishing she'd offered the man a guidance spell before he clambered. Too late for that now. She drops her sword, drawing her longbow and nocking an arrow. She takes careful aim, some part of her realizing that this is the first time she's fired her bow in anger. She wonders what it's like to take a creature's life deliberately.

Wynne is holding her action to shoot the first dog or goblin that breaks cover to attack either of the people below, then go prone. Attack roll: [roll0] damage roll: [roll1]

Northman
2012-05-26, 08:23 PM
Cyrrack Isale

Cyrrack tried his very best to hurry on in as safe a manner as he could. The former knight feared some sort of ambush waiting at the bottom, but there had been no time to explain that to anyone. Instead, he figured it was better to to risk climbing down while encumbered than sending a comrade into the clutches of the enemy.

And that would be his doom, it seemed. Around halfway down, when trying to hammer in another piton, a large chunk of rock fell loose. It hit Cyrrack's foot and completely knocked him out of his grip. With no time to having knotted his rope, his feeble attempts at grabbing the rope only resulted in burn marks and letting the hammer and piton fall into the ravine - with him after. As the light from the elf's sunrod came closer and faded away, Cyrrack saw an arrow striking Sencia in her shoulder. He barely had the time to think "as I suspected" before all went black in a rather unpleasant thump when he hit the ground.

OOCNot much to do... Con check to see if I get stable, with -4 to the check because my -4 HP. [roll0]

Sheep Overlord
2012-05-26, 08:33 PM
Dropping the reins of the pony and trusting that it will not flee, Kathas curses the impetuous child and begins gesturing, calling on his god to grant Guidance to the elf's shot.

Omeganaut
2012-05-26, 08:45 PM
Gonquill had stood aside, reasoning that the goblins would not worry about maintaining a constant watch this close to the surface. That changed when he heard the shouts below. He immidiately races to the nearest rope and begins to climb down with all haste. Upon reaching the bottom, he pulls out a pair of swords, ready to meet whatever may approach.

[roll0]

Kujoe Dirte
2012-05-27, 12:28 PM
Wynne hold her shot waiting for her enemies to break their cover before making the shot. IT is not long before one of the dogs comes running out from behind cover, and towards the already wounded Sencia but, to the dogs surprise an arrow come whirling down from above and digs into his rear leg, the dog lets out a sort of whimper but he does not teary and continues towards his mark. He jumps at Sencia maw wide, the nimble elf easily ducks and rolls away from the dogs clumsy attack leaving the dog left in confusion.

[roll0]
[roll1]

The Goblin takes the opening to peak his head out from cover, he searches frantically for the archer that shot his dog though he is unable to see her after she fell prone. He does however spot Salem standing by the ledge he assumes this to be the foul archer and spits a curse in Goblin before letting loose an arrow at him. Salem only sees the arrow coming for him at the last minute and is not swift enough to dodge the blow, though it only nicks his shoulder. The goblin then ducks back under cover and barks more order to the other two dogs

[roll2]
[roll3] Salem takes a measly 1 point of damage.

The second of the vermin hounds rushes out of it's cover towards Sencia, drool oozes freely from it's disgusting maw as it runs. Using the same tactics as the other it leaps up maw wide and attempts to bite at a less armored part of her, it sinks it's teeth into her unprotected flesh with ease he shakes and pulls at her flesh sending unbearable pain up her arm and through her body, but still she holds on to consciousness even if it is only barely.

[roll4]
[roll5] Sencia takes another 4 points of damage and must make a fort check versus disease. Sencia is at 0 and Disabled.

Duegrim quickly drops his shield and hurriedly begins to climb down the knotted rope to aid his two injured allies, he is not exactly good with climbing but the knotted rope makes it a lot easier, he manages to climb down half way in his action.

Initiative Order:
Wynnevaile
Dog 3
Goblin
Dog 2
Duegrim
Sencia <--
Gonquil
Salem
Cyrrack
Dog 1
Kathas

Ravine Battle Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnnYofV3HS0jdC1aRGM3VFhSUHJ2anJfcmx1QWFsb lE&pli=1#gid=0)

UserClone
2012-05-28, 11:52 AM
((Wow, I really feel like the original wasn't this difficult at the beginning, so I guess you must have changed some stuff. Or you're just rolling way better than I did. Anyway...))

I'll go with Total Defense, in the corner.

SlyJohnny
2012-05-28, 01:29 PM
Wynne feels a whisper in the back of her mind, guiding her aim, as she trains her bow on a dog-rat below. She spares a moment to give the dwarf a quick, appreciative nod, and then watches as her stricken comrade is swarmed by the creatures below. She fires down at them as soon as her arrow is readied and her shot is clear.

[roll0] to hit including Guidance bonus, [roll1] damage

Questing Beast
2012-05-28, 03:42 PM
Duegrimm

Duegrimm roars out a battle cry trying to draw attention to himself. As he nears the end of the rope (last 10') the dwarf pushes out along the wall horizontally in order to drop down behind the dog thing next to the wall. Drawing his axe as his hand leaves the rope he hits the ground badly grunting as he feels something pop in his leg. Attempting to deal a blow to the wounding beast he swings. "Disgusting beasts and Goblin scum ye shall taste Dwarven steel before I finish with you!"

Climb:[roll0]
Moving down rope, Drawing axe as a part of the fall (move) then attacking.

Post 60 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13303486&postcount=60)in the OOC thread has the updated roles.

I posted a new set of actions since the ones I had here didn't work per the PF rules. Duegrimm roars out a battle cry trying to draw attention to himself. As he nears the end of the rope the dwarf pushes out along the wall horizontally in order to drop down behind the dog thing next to the wall. Whipping out his axe as he lands he takes in the situation and prepares his to deal a blow to the beast. "Disgusting beasts and Goblin scum ye shall taste Dwarven steel before I finish with you!"

Kujoe Dirte
2012-06-02, 12:23 PM
I'm back :)

Sencia holds at the bleeding wound on her arm and holds onto consciousness, staying in the corner she attempts to protect herself as best she can.

Gonquil is alerted to danger from the cry's below he hurriedly makes for the closest rope(The unknotted one) and easily makes his way to the platform below, looking below him he finds the dieing body of Cyrrack just below his feet.

Salem is caught surprised by the current situation and spends a turn to recollect his thoughts.

Cyrrack continues to bleed out on the cold stone floor.

The last of the dogs is a little slow to catch on, but the sent of fresh blood leads him out from behind the stairs. He looks towards the closest target, Gonquil and charges. Gonquil easily dodges the poor attempt at an attack and the dog looks at him with a surprised look, he appears to have overlooked the fact that even those with light armor are not easy targets.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Kathas calls upon divine magic to aid Wynnes next shot.

Wynne feels a whisper in the back of her mind, guiding her aim, as she trains her bow on a dog-rat below. She spares a moment to give the dwarf a quick, appreciative nod, and then watches as her stricken comrade is swarmed by the creatures below. She fires down at them as soon as her arrow is readied and her shot is clear. She finds the target of her last arrow and releases hoping this one will do the trick, the sound of a thud echoes up the ravine as the arrow hits into the dogs flank leaving it limping and whimpering, however it still stands.

Initiative Order:
Wynnevaile
Dog 3
Goblin
Dog 2
Duegrim
Sencia
Gonquil
Salem
Cyrrack
Dog 1
Kathas

Kujoe Dirte
2012-06-02, 12:46 PM
The wounded dog whimpers and attempts to flee from his position, not quite sure what keeps striking him he seems to thin it is Sencia and flees in the opposite direction of her, Sencia is defenseless to make a strike at the fleeing hound as he walks up towards Gonquil and bites at his ankle, Gonquil raises his leg away from the dogs futile attack with ease and the dog gives a low growl.

[roll0]
[roll1]

The other dog continues to strike at Sencia he dives fr her ankle in an attempt to bring her down, despite her horrible state she does mange to deflect the attack.

[roll2]
[roll3]

The goblin peaks up his head once more and smiles at the sight of battle, he brings his bow up once more and fires at Salem who takes another arrow, this one in the knee.

[roll4]
[roll5]

Duegrim continues to scurry down the rope, and then leaps from the wall towards the dog still threatening Sencia, he pulls out his axe as he fall and with all his might brings the axe upon the dogs head crushing it in an instant, but Duegrim takes a toll himself from the short fall and feels a sharp pain in his legs.

Initiative Order:
Wynnevaile
Dog 3
Goblin
Dog 2
Duegrim
Sencia<--
Gonquil
Salem
Cyrrack
Dog 1
Kathas

UserClone
2012-06-02, 06:59 PM
Sencia casts [roll0] on herself, before she too becomes a casualty, then moves towards Cyrrack, taking a 5-foot step only if it is necessary to avoid an AoO, otherwise, moving to stand over him.

Kujoe Dirte
2012-06-02, 09:17 PM
Without any opponents by her Sencia takes the opportunity to heal herself, but her concentration is not great in this wounded state and she only musters a small amount of healing power. It is enough however to knock her back into working condition, she then steps forward effectively flanking the dog in front of her with Gonquil.

Duegrim falling damage:[roll0]

Initiative Order:
Wynnevaile
Dog 3
Goblin
Dog 2
Duegrim
Sencia
Gonquil<--
Salem
Cyrrack
Dog 1
Kathas

Updated battle map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnnYofV3HS0jdC1aRGM3VFhSUHJ2anJfcmx1QWFsb lE&pli=1#gid=0)

Omeganaut
2012-06-02, 11:44 PM
Sorry it took so long

Gonquill lashes out at the dog directly in front of him, aiming to protect the man at his feet, as well as trusting in both the fellow adventurers above him and the others that have arrived down to defeat the other dog.

[roll0][roll1]
[roll2][roll3]

Kujoe Dirte
2012-06-03, 03:20 PM
Gonquil lashes out at the dog in front of him with his twin blades, leaving two long slash mark on either side of the the dogs ribcage however it does not fall although it does appear to be on the very edge of consciousness.

Salem delay his action.

Cyrrack continues to bleed out on the floor but luckily has not come to any further harm from the dogs surrounding him thanks to Gonquil.

The dying dog struggles to his feet and in one final attempt leaps up at Gonquil with an enraged bloodthirsty look in his eyes, Gonquil batters the dog away with the pummel of his blade and it falls to the floor dead.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Initiative Order:
Wynnevaile
Goblin
Dog 2
Duegrim
Sencia
Gonquil
Salem
Cyrrack
Kathas<--

Sheep Overlord
2012-06-03, 09:20 PM
Cursing his inability to provide much support from above - and desiring strongly to get his feet planted firmly underground where they belong - Kathas follows suit in climbing down the knotted ropes, holding on as best he can.

Double-move down the ropes if necessary; if he can make it down in one move, he'll use his action to ready his longspear.

Climb checks:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Presumably we'll be underground for the rest of the adventure, in which case Kathas will get +2 on future initiative checks (mentioning it now to avoid a needless extra OOC post)

SlyJohnny
2012-06-03, 11:41 PM
Wynne aims for the goblin, holding her shot until it jumps up to shoot at them.

She calls down to it, croaking in it's native language, "Goblin. You fired first. We were not paid to come here to attack your home, but for another purpose. Call off your dogs, and my friends will hold their blades. We will spare your life and release you after we've parleyed."

Holding shot in the hopes that the goblin will bargain with me, but readying to shoot it if it jumps up to shoot again. [roll0] to hit [roll1] damage

Concealment miss chance, if needed: [roll2]

Kujoe Dirte
2012-06-07, 05:43 PM
Sorry for my slow posting rate as of late, you can blame my unreliable internet source for that. Which hopefully we will get fixed soon.

Initiative Order:
Wynnevaile
Dog 2
Duegrim<--
Sencia
Gonquil
Salem
Cyrrack
Kathas

Kathas hurriedly scurry's down the knotted rope, the knots making the climb much easier, he reaches the bottom in a matter of a few seconds.

Wynne calls out an offer to the goblin below, readying an arrow to shoot at him shoot he return fire but, unexpectedly there is no recall no goblin pokes up his head and when you listen carefully you can barely make out the sound of small scurrying feet which slowly become quieter and quieter. Reasoning the goblin fled she turns to the last standing dog and releases her arrow, putting an arrow right in it's neck, however, it does not fall.

The dog growls some more and leaps again at Gonquil, Its attack is once again futile.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Ravine map updated (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnnYofV3HS0jdC1aRGM3VFhSUHJ2anJfcmx1QWFsb lE&pli=1#gid=0)

Questing Beast
2012-06-07, 06:19 PM
Duegrim

Annoyed at the archer that keeps poking it's head out Duegrims eyes flare with anger. He cuts behind the dog slashing at it with his axe."The snotling attacked first, I shall give it and it's pet no leeway since it isn't smart enough to surrender."

Rage on
Att:[roll0]
Dmg:[roll1]
Crit Confirm (Dmgx3):[roll2]

Kujoe Dirte
2012-06-07, 07:22 PM
@Duegrim: Sorry to burst your bubble but I had forgot to move the goblin on the map so he is actually at the bottom of the stairs(Out of your sight.). So could you change your action(You can keep your rolls if you still attack).

SlyJohnny
2012-06-08, 12:29 AM
What if he made a Charge action down the stairs? He might outdistance the goblin, if he;s used rage?

Questing Beast
2012-06-08, 07:09 AM
So could you change your action(You can keep your rolls if you still attack). I did, originally I had attacked the goblin then I reread the text and realized that you forgot to move it so I redirected to the dog. I just forgot to move the Icon on the map. :smallfrown:

Kujoe Dirte
2012-06-08, 11:44 AM
Duegrim comes up behind the last ravenous dog and cleaves the unsuspecting creature in two sending blood up through the air.

With the last of the hounds down and the goblin safe far below combat is effectively over.
170xp's each!

But that does not completely remove the current crisis, Cyrrack is still down and many of you are injured, and the goblin archer awaits you deeper in the ravine.

Injuries:
Cyrrack -6/13
Sencia 2/9
Duegrim 15/16
Salem 5/8

Sencia make a fort check.

Now that the immediate threat has been taken care of you have some time to look around the platform on which you stand. This platform is mostly bare save for the three now dead dog corpses, and a pile of filth in the corner, it is impossible to make out any tracks on the rock floor and the darkness does little to help that. The stone staircase case is only 3 feet wide and does not appear stable. For medium creature or larger moving down these stone steps at a regular speed requires a DC 5 acrobatics check to avoid slipping and falling to your immanent death a slow pace of 1/4 normal speed allows you to safely make your way down no check required. You cannot see the bottom of the staircase from the top it goes down at least another 70ft.

Note to players: The ravine is PITCH black low light vision therefor has no effect only the dwarves can even see a thing without any source of light be it spell torch etc. Torches burn for two hour before they are done please keep track of any torches you burn out or that are blown out.

SlyJohnny
2012-06-08, 04:16 PM
Wynne sets down her bow and immediately begins climbing down, as fast as she safely can.

"That goblin goes to raise an alarm, no doubt. Drag Cyrrack to the bottom of this rope, and all the wounded gather with him."

When she reaches within 10 ft of the bottom, she leaps off the rope and lands on the ground with a roll and an unladylike grunt. She stands next to Cyrrack and channels a wave of positive energy, beseeching Pharasma to spare Cyrrack, that it is not yet his time to be judged. She does this twice, energy pulsing out from her and closing the wounds of everyone clustered around her.

Think I can take 10 on the climb check and make it. Is it two or three rounds to get within 10 ft of the bottom?

Healing:
[roll0]

SlyJohnny
2012-06-08, 04:21 PM
DC 15 Acrobatics check to avoid damage: [roll0]

Damage to self from fall: [roll1]

Questing Beast
2012-06-08, 04:30 PM
Duegrim

The redness around his face dies off a bit and he moves to the edge of the stairs and noticing their instability makes sure to pass the word, "Ware the staircase it is not very well built at all, not Dwarf crafted for sure." Calling up to anyone still remaining on the top of the cliff, "Lower our gear and needed equipment down before you come yourselves. Start the first batch with my shield and hurry in case that goblin is bringing back friends." Duegrim then checks the rest of the area around the platform making sure that no easy way up such as handholds for the goblins exists. He stations himself near the top of the stairs to cover the rest of the group from an attack.

Does Dwarven Stability or Stonecunning apply to the stairs DC?
Ending rage and taking the time to recover so -1 Rnd of Rage.

UserClone
2012-06-09, 09:06 AM
[roll0]

I'll just go 1/4 speed.

Kujoe Dirte
2012-06-09, 01:04 PM
Injuries Updated:
Cyrrack -3/13 stabilized
Sencia 5/9

Whos going down first?

UserClone
2012-06-09, 02:07 PM
Sencia casts another [roll0] cure light wounds on Cyrrack.

EDIT: SONOFABITCH!

Sheep Overlord
2012-06-09, 02:29 PM
Kathas also moves close to the injured and begins channeling positive energy.

[roll0]

That's two uses, so I have 4 left for the day.

Omeganaut
2012-06-10, 08:37 PM
Gonquill steps away from the ropes in order to let the healers try to save the poor injured souls who did not have the foresight to think ahead. Instead, Gonquill looks around the chamber, taking care to stay away from the stairs in order to avoid an unpleasant surprise from the darkness. He only gets as near as he needs to ascertain that the pile of filth is indeed just that. Barring any surprises, he speaks up. "Is everyone going to survive? Can we get them all up to fight?"

"Alright, so when we want to continue, its obviously pitch black ahead, so we will need a torch. Why don't we light it and throw it down first to see if there are any surprises ahead. If it looks safe, the dwarf should go first in case the light missed something, and I probably should go right after in case of a trap of some sort. You all would sort yourselves out behind us, melee fighters first and spellweavers near the end. Good?"

UserClone
2012-06-10, 09:20 PM
"Here, throw this instead. A torch might go out just being flung through the air." Sencia hands Gonquill her lit sunrod.

SlyJohnny
2012-06-11, 04:11 AM
Wynnevaile nods to Gonquil.

"Yes; their final judgement awaits them still. I yet have healing energies to spare."

She heads over to one of the odd rat-like dogs, laying a hand upon it's bleeding side. Though she gives no outward sign of it, a rush of information floods her mind, as if she'd just read a large grimoire about the habits and peculiarities of this species.

Rising, she turns to the stairs. "We must move together in future. The goblin has likely raised the alarm, and if we get split up like that again, it'll be the Boneyard for all of us." She picks up a rock, murmurs a prayer, and the rock begins to glow like a hot coal. She kicks it down the stairs, and then makes ready to follow the group.

Light on a rock, kicked down the stairs. Lore Keeper touch on the dead rat-dog: effective check result of 20 on the appropriate knowledge skill.

Questing Beast
2012-06-11, 08:40 AM
Duegrim

Looking at the sun rod Sencia holds out, "Keep that to light our path, we can afford to loose a torch or two but if the goblins take your alchemy light we're out a more effective source of light." Watching as the 'light' rock tumbles down the stairway as he pulls flint & steel as well as a torch from his gear. Lighting it he drops it from the side adding as much lit area to what the rock creates as possible. Glancing at Gonquill, "I am willing to go first but not without my shield on my arm. What you say for organizing our group makes sense but I would not want anyone sneaking up behind us either.

Sheep Overlord
2012-06-11, 12:52 PM
"I believe he meant me, laddie," says Kathas as he moves from his position near the ropes to the front of the group. "I've some experience fighting in tunnels like these, and I'm old enough an' wise enough not to be reckless. I'll move ahead o' the torches, see if I can't catch some goblins unawares. Come with me, iff'n it please ye, or stay with the others. It matters little."

Before taking point, Kathas takes a moment to peer over the edge into the illuminated areas as well as to look as far as he can see with his darkvision (perception: [roll0]). He also cranks the winch on his crossbow, and checks to make sure his pack is secure.

Taking a ready position, he waits for the rest of the group to form up, assuming that the other dwarf won't leave without his shield - and won't be rude enough to leave the pony untethered when he goes up to retrieve it.

Heavy Crossbow is equipped, longspear is within reach, +2 on initiative checks (total +3) since we're now underground. Does Kathas's dwarven stonecunning tell him anything about the chasm we've entered?

Omeganaut
2012-06-12, 06:57 AM
Gonquill is glad his plan worked, and his face moves about a centimeter towards happiness. He replies "You two would know better. I figured Sencia would want to watch our rear as she wants to be able to get out again in case of our demise. *slight chuckle* Plus she apparently can create magical light, so her lack of darksight should not be a problem. It doesn't matter much to me either way. Let us be off!" With that Gonquil turns to go, behind the dwarves, walking carefully down the steps for now. He pulls out a pair of knives instead of his swords, ready to throw them in case of attack or fight in the close quarters.

Kujoe Dirte
2012-06-12, 03:38 PM
Wynne kicks a stone radiating a bright light, down the stairs, you watch it as it slowly illuminates the staircase leading down, after a good 80 or more feet of rolling it stops as it lands on another platform, this one significantly smaller than the one you know stand on. The light from the rock is more than enough to illuminate the platform, you take a moment to examine it. this small platform appears to be entirely covered in rubble and other debris, the wall of the ravine beside it appears to have caved in ages ago leaving the platform a total mess, you do not see the goblin down here.

With no sign of the the goblin the party continues down to the rocky ledge and, they walk the stairs slowly and safely so no one is harmed. Upon reaching the platform all that is noticeable is another stone staircase leading further downwards, amidst the quiet night you hear the familiar sound of the goblin voice below.

Same rules apply to the stairs as before.

Perception DC 15 and goblin language
You hear the goblin speak with great clarity he shouts, Intruders come, above they is but be here any minute, knock them from the ledge theys will never see it coming. The stupid goblin shouts his commands based on the way he said it, it would appear he is talking to one his dog pets and not another goblin.

Wynne:
Loathed by men and beasts alike, goblin dogs are ugly, stinking, craven, and foul-tempered. It's no surprise that goblins find kindred spirits in these shunned, disgusting beasts. Constantly itching, afflicted with a species-wide mange exacerbated by prolific dander, even the healthiest goblin dog looks sickly and starved.

Despite its name, the goblin dog is in fact a species of rodent grown monstrously large. Their long-legged shape and proclivity to hunt and run in packs earned them their popular name, a name that many goblins take issue with, as it galls the average goblin to consider these, their favored mounts, having anything at all to do with actual dogs. Of course, being goblins, they haven't bothered to come up with alternate names for goblin dogs. Perhaps they don't realize they can.

Contact with a goblin dog's infested, mangy hide causes most other creatures to break out into hives, a condition known as “goblin rash.” Goblinoids seem to be immune to this affliction, and are fond of keeping goblin dogs as guardians and mounts.

Despite their skin conditions and disorders, goblin dogs are highly resistant to disease. Their favored food is carrion—the riper, the better. That many goblin tribes let their goblin dogs run free in their lairs is the single reason most goblin dens aren't filthier than they actually are; constantly hungry, a goblin dog eats anything it can chew that it finds left behind by other, more discerning palates.

A goblin dog is 5 feet long but weighs only 75 pounds.

Kathas:
Your knowledge of the earth tells you that this chasm was not made by natural causes, but something else entirely. The most logical explanation is powerful wizardry.

Questing Beast
2012-06-12, 05:37 PM
Duegrim

Shaking his head at the old dwarf moving ahead, "Aye feel free to be first down oh ancient one, just be sure the creaking of yer bones does nay warn the goblins we are on the move." Watching as the others organize themselves and wondering why not one of the few up top bothered to bring his shield down Duegrimclimbs the rope ties off the pony straps the shield on his back and makes his way back down to the others to find they have only reached the second landing. Putting his eyes and nose out over the edge of that landing cautiously he tries to make out what the goblins are saying.

Perception DC15: [roll0]

"We are expected it seems, watch-out for more rat-dog things attacking us on the stairs. Don't fall off."

Omeganaut
2012-06-12, 08:36 PM
Gonquill strains to hear anything further down the stairway. "Be ready for combat this time."

[roll0]

SlyJohnny
2012-06-12, 11:22 PM
Wynne moves forward, shield out, sword drawn, listening.

[roll0] Perception. Did the goblin dogs ding as Evil to my lore keepers touch, or are they just animals?

"It plans to have it's dogs knock us from the ledge. Be cautious." she whispers.

Sheep Overlord
2012-06-15, 10:55 AM
Seeing that the others are as ready as they can be, Kathas moves cautiously down the stone steps. His eyes strain against the darkness for any hint of movement, and he readies his crossbow to shoot at the first goblin or dog that he sees.

One move action and a readied action to fire each round. He continues to move like this until he spots something to shoot at or he reaches the bottom of the stairs, whichever comes first.

Kujoe Dirte
2012-06-17, 11:36 AM
Kathas begins down the Stone steps, with his crossbow drawn and at the ready, he only moves down about 10ft when the stupid dog breaks from it's cover and begins to charge up the stairs. Your darkvision allows you to see it and you instantly fire the crossbow

[roll0]
[roll1]

SlyJohnny
2012-06-17, 12:06 PM
Wynne surges forward towards the dog as soon as it attempts to lock it's jaws against Kathas. She raises her shield and hops, taking the stairs two at a time and attempting to ward it off as she rushes down, intent on reaching the goblin.

Initiative: [roll0]
Untrained Acrobatics to tumble past dog and not provoke AoO: [roll1]

Kujoe Dirte
2012-06-17, 02:09 PM
Kathas shot is way off and it clatters off of the stone wall and falls into the ravine, the crazed dog continues to charge forward but can not make it up to Kathas in this round.

Init
Sencia:[roll0]
Cyrrack:[roll1]
Salem:[roll2]
Kathas:[roll3]
Gonquil:[roll4]
Duegrim:[roll5]
Wynnevaile:[roll6]
Dog:[roll7]

Ravine map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnnYofV3HS0jdC1aRGM3VFhSUHJ2anJfcmx1QWFsb lE&pli=1#gid=0)

Questing Beast
2012-06-19, 09:17 PM
Duegrim

Seeing his fellow about to be attacked by the slavering dog thing Duegrim rushes past him and swings at the creature with his axe, "I wonder how you will taste boiled in stew with ale?"

Acrobatics Check for stair: [roll0]
Att:[roll1]
Dmg:[roll2]
Crit Confirm:[roll3]