PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Mount Help

Cornelius Grim
2012-05-15, 07:48 PM
Hey, guys. I need a certain level of help deciding on which Paladin Mount I shall get.

To put it simply, I have narrowed it down to three choices. The three are Drakkensteed (although I need help locating the specific alternate class feature that allows that, but I found the monster entry), Pegasus, or Unicorn. I want the Unicorn because it has the ability to not only talk, but also to cast healing spells. I think this would greatly improve my usefulness for my party (the party consists of a monk, a rogue, a healer, and me, the paladin), but I also really wanted a mount that flies. That's why the Pegasus was another option. The Pegasus has a fly speed of 120 ft. which I think is a very useful thing to have. It also has the ability to detect evil or good, which is useful because first, I can't detect good, only evil, and second, if I am incapacitated, the Pegasus can do my job. Otherwise, the Pegasus has, not much going for it (other than the fact that I'd probably name it Rainbow Dash, but that's irrelevant).

My last choice (but I think I prefer this one rather than Pegasus, although I am not sure) is the Drakkensteed. There's a lot of reasons I want it, but mainly fluff. It's a frikken dragon horse. I think that's pretty cool. It can fly, albeit, if I recall, not as fast as a Pegasus, and it is an honorable mount that seems like it could be an incredibly awesome factor of my paladin's backstory. The basic backstory is that my Paladin had the potential to become an incredibly powerful wizard for his elven community, but he decided to become a paladin instead. However, he still practices arcane spells to buff him in order to fight evil. Personally, I think a draconic mount would compliment that given their aptitude for magic.

Anyway, I apologize for any inconveniences caused by a long post, but I thought it was important I got the point across in order to receive effective assistance. Thanks so much for any help you may be able to offer.

Doc_Pippin
2012-05-15, 08:11 PM
The Drakkensteed mount ACF is in Dragon magic

The unicorn gained from elven sub levels takes a HUGE penalty to its paladin level progression

Other cool things to look at are the Giant moose (Megaloceros) from Frostburn the Dragon Steed feat from the draconomicon (nabs you a dragonnel as a special mount and im not 100% but i think you can also gain a dragon at higher levels)

Planar sub level 6 is amazing you lose a cure disease but your steed becomes celestial... in other words TAKE THIS LEVEL

also look at
giant eagles
giant owls
hippogriffs

A favored combo for myself is the dragon steed thats immune to fire + winters mount so it is immune to both fire and cold and gains more hit points then its celestial (its like a mix of all goodness) and then when your steed gains feats because its a dragon it can get dragon aura to help boost you and your team mates... and it can fly

Cornelius Grim
2012-05-15, 08:22 PM
Cool, well, thanks for your input. Where can I find the Planar Substitution levels? I think a Celestial Dragonell would be pretty badass... :smallamused:

Invader
2012-05-15, 08:24 PM
You can look at a griffon instead of a pegasus for a flying mount and its pretty effective in combat as well.

Doc_Pippin
2012-05-15, 08:30 PM
Cool, well, thanks for your input. Where can I find the Planar Substitution levels? I think a Celestial Dragonell would be pretty badass... :smallamused:

Its in the planar handbook and if your DM denies it there is also the celestial mount feat in BoED

and the feat Winters mount gives the mount immunity to cold and +2 con along with the cold subtype you do gain vulnerablity to fire but if its immune to fire in the first place it is negated

other helpful tips is look up the Sword of the Arcane Order it lets you cast Arcane spells in your Paladin spell slots

Doc_Pippin
2012-05-15, 08:36 PM
You can look at a griffon instead of a pegasus for a flying mount and its pretty effective in combat as well.

Also very true I cant recall where in Eberon but there is a Griffon Riding Prc which is pretty sexy

Also what level are you planing to go to because there are so sexy shenanigans to be had at mid level

Invader
2012-05-15, 08:37 PM
I just saw this somewhere and had to share;

Obviously, the ultimate paladin mount is the Celestial Elephant with 5 levels of paladin, who is, in turn, also riding upon his mount, a Celestial Dragon Turtle.

Also you can fluff a Nightmare into a LG creature just change the special attacks to something more fitting.

Cornelius Grim
2012-05-15, 08:39 PM
Its in the planar handbook and if your DM denies it there is also the celestial mount feat in BoED

and the feat Winters mount gives the mount immunity to cold and +2 con along with the cold subtype you do gain vulnerablity to fire but if its immune to fire in the first place it is negated

other helpful tips is look up the Sword of the Arcane Order it lets you cast Arcane spells in your Paladin spell slots

Oh, don't worry about the Sword or the Arcane Order... I have it all plotted out. It's a pretty awesome feat. I already have implemented it into my character plan. I took a look at the Dragonell monster entry and the feat. I wasn't impressed. I have to be somewhere around level 9 to get it, even though I could just get the Drakkensteed at level 5. Even if it doesn't have a super good fly speed, it still flies, and I can take feats to improve both speed and maneuverability. I also took a look at the Griffon. I think it'd be a little more effective if we could get it at level 6 rather than 7, like it says in the DM's guide, but I want a mount that is effective and easy to access. I'm pretty sure I'm going with Drakkensteed.

Anyone have any ideas for how I can improve fly speed and maneuverability for it though? Or any other ways to buff my mount, aside from already suggested stuff?

Doc_Pippin
2012-05-15, 08:42 PM
Or make a redeemed undead loredrake Dragonlich White dragon spawn that is spellstitch so it can effectively blast as an 18th level sorceror and heal both itself and you as a 14 level cleric .... hell mix in the beast master/ devoted tracker/ wild plains outrider so its additionally an 18th level animal companion and 18th level paladin companion with even more HD than you and insane stat boosts

UBERMOUNT is a funny concept but if you abuse it the DM with shut you down hard

EDIT: I just noticed this may have sounded unfriendly but I swear its just a cultural/translation problem It is all in good spirits

Invader
2012-05-15, 08:45 PM
Algarondan Griffin Rider

Unapproachable East p.19

Its actually a pretty decent PrC but only if you're planning on a lot of flying mounted combat otherwise its probably not worth it.

Doc_Pippin
2012-05-15, 08:46 PM
Oh, don't worry about the Sword or the Arcane Order... I have it all plotted out. It's a pretty awesome feat. I already have implemented it into my character plan. I took a look at the Dragonell monster entry and the feat. I wasn't impressed. I have to be somewhere around level 9 to get it, even though I could just get the Drakkensteed at level 5. Even if it doesn't have a super good fly speed, it still flies, and I can take feats to improve both speed and maneuverability. I also took a look at the Griffon. I think it'd be a little more effective if we could get it at level 6 rather than 7, like it says in the DM's guide, but I want a mount that is effective and easy to access. I'm pretty sure I'm going with Drakkensteed.

Anyone have any ideas for how I can improve fly speed and maneuverability for it though? Or any other ways to buff my mount, aside from already suggested stuff?

improved wings and heavyweight wings let your drakkensteed fly whilst in heavy Barding as stated with the other dragon auras. Always remember your mount does gain feats.

Doc_Pippin
2012-05-15, 08:51 PM
Take your seventh level as beast master then take devoted traker and then become a wild planes outrider to stack many rediculous bonuses

Levels that advance mount abilities: Paly 6/(druid4/2=2) Beastmaster/ Wild plains outrider 10= 18

Levels that advance animal companion: Paly 6/(druid4) Beastmaster/ Wild plains outrider 10= 20

plus its Winter's mount, celestial, and outfitted with heavy armor and by that level the horseshoes of speed

Doc_Pippin
2012-05-15, 09:00 PM
Or make a redeemed undead loredrake Dragonlich White dragon spawn that is spellstitch so it can effectively blast as an 18th level sorceror and heal both itself and you as a 14 level cleric .... hell mix in the beast master/ devoted tracker/ wild plains outrider so its additionally an 18th level animal companion and 18th level paladin companion with even more HD than you and insane stat boosts

UBERMOUNT is a funny concept but if you abuse it the DM with shut you down hard

EDIT: I just noticed this may have sounded unfriendly but I swear its just a cultural/translation problem It is all in good spirits

Addition hilariousness

DM: Why do you have six character sheets???

You: Well you see It's Me, My uber Mount, My cohort, My undead Cohort, His Cohort, and His undead Cohort... Who needs a Party I have four armies two of which are already undead. All of our cohorts are inspire Bards with their own cohorts and armies. I also took improved cohort and extra follower so Im kind of an emperor.. ya sorry

Cornelius Grim
2012-05-15, 09:06 PM
Don't worry, Doc Pippin, you didn't offend anyone. Although the DM is my Dad, and he hates when we try to powergame. We're starting our first 3.5 game but he never was happy if we did too good in 4th edition...

That heavy wings feat looks useful... I am trying not to multiclass too much. One of the goals here is to see if I can run an effective paladin without having levels in twenty different classes (prestige included). I know I sound really nit-picky in this post and I do apologize for the inconveniences, but I need help with this; all my D&D buddies always play evil characters, so they're no help.

I've decided to take the Dragon Steed mount in lieu of the Drakkensteed ACF. It's faster, it's got more hp, and it's generally significantly better. Only takes one extra level too, upon closer inspection, if I am not mistaken. I can meet the requirements for the feat, and upon taking it I gain a dragonell, so I'll assume I am understanding it correctly...

Anyway, the main point of this specific reply is that I can't take, like, twenty different prestige classes to get more powerful. Also, can Paladins take levels in a prestige class without breaking the paladin's oath so he can still put levels into paladin afterwards?

EDIT: I was mistaken; upon closer inspection of the "Dragons as Special Mounts" section of the Draconomicon, I see I cannot acquire a Dragonell until level 9... back to Drakkensteed. :smallsigh:

Doc_Pippin
2012-05-15, 09:19 PM
Other good things

Cavalier from CW
Pious Templar CD
Gray Guard CS
Vigilante ?? I think its CA or CS

Paladin of freedom UA
Prc Paladin UA

For better spell casting you can go Cleric 5/ Prc Paladin X in nets you increase in cleric casting every even level and all five levels of Core Paladin in 2 levels

Edit

I like Pious Templar for Elven Cleric/ Paladins because its really good really flavorful and with the prereqs you can use Correllion Leth's Relics which IMO are by far the best the Millenium Chain !!!! amazing armor + fast healing!!! The Bow of the Wintermoon (I cant remember the cheap version MIC or CD) in less than 4000gp for a +1 drowbane frost Composite longbow that changes to any stregnth and its already set up for you

A few Other Elven Prc's arre

Champion of C.L. RotW (Dex+Str on your attacks at lvl 2+ insanely good features) Note: RoS improved weapon familiarity feat may replace EWP requirement and nets you the Light blade, Thin Blade, Court Blade, and 'usually forgotten' double bow

Beloved of Valarian (BoED) Unicorn craziness

SkyLord (BoED) Pegasis giant owl and giant eagle insanity

Arcane archer (for ranger arcane peeps DMG)

Eternal Blade (ToB) This no kidding make you Link with Navi included...

I know im missing some but honestly im more of a Kobold and Gnome guy

because Kobold are the single best and most broken race in the game with the ability to gain four free levels of sorcerer before level five making a level five Kobold Sorcerer an effective level 10 caster

and gnomes because of the two gnome killers

Cornelius Grim
2012-05-15, 09:32 PM
Other good things

Cavalier from CW
Pious Templar CD
Gray Guard CS
Vigilante ?? I think its CA or CS

Paladin of freedom UA
Prc Paladin UA

For better spell casting you can go Cleric 5/ Prc Paladin X in nets you increase in cleric casting every even level and all five levels of Core Paladin in 2 levels

Edit

I like Pious Templar for Elven Cleric/ Paladins because its really good really flavorful and with the prereqs you can use Correllion Leth's Relics which IMO are by far the best the Millenium Chain !!!! amazing armor + fast healing!!! The Bow of the Wintermoon (I cant remember the cheap version MIC or CD) in less than 4000gp for a +1 drowbane frost Composite longbow that changes to any stregnth and its already set up for you

A few Other Elven Prc's arre

Champion of C.L. RotW (Dex+Str on your attacks at lvl 2+ insanely good features)
Beloved of Valarian (BoED) Unicorn craziness
SkyLord (BoED) Pegasis giant owl and giant eagle insanity
Arcane archer (for ranger arcane peeps DMG)
Eternal Blade (ToB) This no kidding make you Link with Navi included...

The Gray Guard prestige class looked cool. It's like the bad-cop kind of character. Well, thanks for all your help. I think I've got a basic idea of what I am going to do. I really appreciate all of your input. Thanks again.

Doc_Pippin
2012-05-15, 09:38 PM
No problem at all

I do encourage you to look up the unearthed Arcana Paladin of freedom for a CG alignment it fits elves really well and it helps new players with a less restrictive code. you lose the fear immunity but gain compulsion immunity which I find for useful anyway otherwise almost identical to core pally

Cornelius Grim
2012-05-18, 04:24 PM
No problem at all

I do encourage you to look up the unearthed Arcana Paladin of freedom for a CG alignment it fits elves really well and it helps new players with a less restrictive code. you lose the fear immunity but gain compulsion immunity which I find for useful anyway otherwise almost identical to core pally

I took a look at that, as well as the Paladin of Slaughter and other similar alternate class options. I think I'd prefer to play a LG Paladin. I've never played any Lawful Character. I'm curious about what it's like.

Also, I don't know if I asked this or if it is obvious, but can a paladin take levels in a prestige class and still be able to level in Paladin? The code of conduct says you can't take levels in other classes without practically forsaking paladin levels, but does that apply to prestige classes?:smallconfused:

hamishspence
2012-05-18, 04:28 PM
It does- however, some prestige classes explicitly state "a paladin may take this PRC and continue advancing as a paladin".

There's certain feats that allow paladins to multiclass freely between paladin and another class. And in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting book- it lists deities that allow certain multiclass combinations for paladins.

Snowbluff
2012-05-18, 05:40 PM
Take your seventh level as beast master then take devoted traker and then become a wild planes outrider to stack many rediculous bonuses

Levels that advance mount abilities: Paly 6/(druid4/2=2) Beastmaster/ Wild plains outrider 10= 18

Levels that advance animal companion: Paly 6/(druid4) Beastmaster/ Wild plains outrider 10= 20

plus its Winter's mount, celestial, and outfitted with heavy armor and by that level the horseshoes of speed

Casters are really good at this too. Especially with Dragon Material. Holy Mount (Divine CL to Mount level), Theurgic Mount (Arcane CL to Mount Level), Theurgic Bond (Familiar Class Levels to Animal Companion, or vise versa), and the venerable Devoted Tracker on an Arcane Heirophant.

Knight Ranger of F is pretty good as well, with a 5 + class level Pally MOunt without having to be in a conflicting alignment with Druid.

IIRC, with good cheese, my build looks like this at 20.

Strongheart Halfling Druid3/Wizard1/ArcaneHeirophant10/KnightRanger1/MysticTheurge5

Familiar is 1 (Wizard) + 10 (ArcHeir) = 11

Animal Companion= 3 (Druid) + 10 (Arcane Heirophant) + 16 (Theurgic Bond) = 19

Special Mount = 6 (Knight Ranger) + 16 (Theurgic Mount) + 18 (Holy Mount) = 40 (You'll need the Epic rules at this point)

My Golden Wyrmling has 8 + 14 (Special Mount) + 12 (Animal Companion)= 34 HD at 20

To make it higher you could take Practiced Specaster on Wizard or Druid, Natural Bond, or use Uncanny Trickster/Legacy Champion to progress Arcane Heirophant.

Alternatively, use the Wizard ACF to get an AnC, PrC Paladin from Cleric, play a Bamboo Spiritfolk, and get Obtain Familiar for a Druid-free version of the build.