PDA

View Full Version : evony

oblivion6
2012-05-15, 11:18 PM
so, who here has played the browser based empire building game evony? specifically age2

i have actively played on many of their 43 age2 servers but now only play one

Loki_42
2012-05-16, 02:52 PM
Isn't that the game that is secretly spyware in disguise and has all of its advertisements showing attractive women who have nothing to do with the game?

Starwulf
2012-05-16, 03:13 PM
Isn't that the game that is secretly spyware in disguise and has all of its advertisements showing attractive women who have nothing to do with the game?

I never had any such issues like that.

@TheOP: I used to play Evony, was a part of the biggest alliance on server...38? TheBrood. It was pretty fun for a while, but after a while you get bored of it, even fully picking up stakes and putting your city down into the middle of enemy territory and beat the crap out of them started to lose it's luster after a while.

oblivion6
2012-05-16, 04:40 PM
why does everyone think its spyware?

it is true about the attractive woman though

Maxios
2012-05-16, 06:41 PM
Because people discovered that it is spyware in disguise.

I played it for a little bit before it was revealed to be spyware, and didn't care for it all that much.

oblivion6
2012-05-16, 07:08 PM
well i only started playing about 2 yrs ago so i wasnt around when they found that out but i assure you it is not spyware. they have several anti virus softwares that vouch they are spy and malware free

Lea Plath
2012-05-17, 09:26 AM
It is spyware. It has been proven that it harvests infomation off your computer. It probably doesn't show up because you chose to install it rather than it sneaking onto your PC.

ShinyRocks
2012-05-17, 09:49 AM
Didn't know it was spyware (if it is), but I don't trust anything that's advertised with a lady in gauze with giant boobs saying 'My Lord, I need you right now' or whatever it is.

Psyren
2012-05-17, 09:50 AM
Shamus says it all, really (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/experienced-points/6825-Evony-Irony)

Squark
2012-05-17, 12:45 PM
Research has been done that shows it gathers a whole lot of data from your computer. Granted, Origin does similar things. So, not illegal, but I don't reccomend you let it near your computer.

oblivion6
2012-05-17, 04:49 PM
Research has been done that shows it gathers a whole lot of data from your computer. Granted, Origin does similar things. So, not illegal, but I don't reccomend you let it near your computer.
too late lol. i have been playing for almost 2 years now the damage is done

also it is not a game you install. its a free browser based game

ninja_penguin
2012-05-17, 04:57 PM
too late lol. i have been playing for almost 2 years now the damage is done

also it is not a game you install. its a free browser based game

Browsers can install things onto your hard drive. Flash games and whatnot do that all the time.

oblivion6
2012-05-17, 05:11 PM
i know they can, but i trust my security software to get rid of any malicious software. its one of the better softwares so i think it would stop any harmful files from entering my hard drive through a simple flash game

ninja_penguin
2012-05-17, 05:17 PM
information sucking off your computer doesn't mean a darn thing, especially if you're openly going to the site. Frankly, I'd seriously avoid the place like the plague. There's plenty of annoying and obnoxious things that spyware does to you that probably wouldn't flag as malicious. I mean, it's not downloading a saturday morning cartoon villain that goes "HUEHUEHUE and now to destroy everything!"

Comet
2012-05-17, 05:48 PM
I can't comment on the spyware issue, but I do have some pretty important questions in mind for those who have played the game:

1) Is the game fun?
2) How did you find the game?

2.1) How dissapointed were you once you found out there were no attractive females in the game to call you their lord?

2.1.1) Is there anyone in the game that calls you their lord? At least one part of the ads should be true, right?

Maxios
2012-05-17, 07:12 PM
I can't comment on the spyware issue, but I do have some pretty important questions in mind for those who have played the game:

1) Is the game fun? Not really.
2) How did you find the game? Crappy

2.1) How dissapointed were you once you found out there were no attractive females in the game to call you their lord? Extremely :smalltongue:

2.1.1) Is there anyone in the game that calls you their lord? At least one part of the ads should be true, right? IIRC, yes.

Overall Rating: 4/10

oblivion6
2012-05-17, 10:31 PM

1) Is the game fun?yes
2) How did you find the game?excellent

2.1) How dissapointed were you once you found out there were no attractive females in the game to call you their lord?not very disappointed. their advertisements were not why i started playing it. in fact i was playing for a month before i saw it

2.1.1) Is there anyone in the game that calls you their lord? At least one part of the ads should be true, right?yes at the beginning it gives you a series of tutorial quests led by a fairly attractive female

overall rating:9/10 it has a few issues here and there but it has kept me addicted for over 2 years and i will probably continue playing for years to come

LansXero
2012-05-17, 11:14 PM
For those looking for browser strategy games, try Shogun's Fate. Its pretty unique and fun.

hobbitkniver
2012-05-20, 11:25 AM
What you clicked for: Boobies
What you got: A boring game that revolves around waiting hours for buldings to be built

Maxios
2012-05-20, 11:59 AM
There's this other browser based game called Ikariam (or something like that). I strongly recommend playing it.

fergo
2012-05-20, 12:10 PM
Isn't it the game that stole half of its pictures and text from Age of Empires or something?

Maxios
2012-05-20, 12:24 PM
Ikariam? Nah. It's an ancient greek browser online strategy game. I play it every now and again.

The Dark Fiddler
2012-05-20, 07:44 PM
Ikariam? Nah. It's an ancient greek browser online strategy game. I play it every now and again.

I think he meant Evony, and I do believe it did steal most of the graphics.