PDA

View Full Version : Seeing things in magical darkness. [3.5]

JediMimeTricks
2012-05-15, 11:28 PM
What are my best options for being able to see through magical darkness? My character is a Beguiler with the Dark template.

Curmudgeon
2012-05-15, 11:34 PM
Use Magic Device and a wand of Ebon Eyes (Spell Compendium, page 77) will let you see normally through magical darkness.

Fyermind
2012-05-15, 11:36 PM
A continuous item of Ebon Eyes (SpC) a level 1 wizard spell.

Edit: Swordsaged

JediMimeTricks
2012-05-15, 11:47 PM
That was fast. Thanks. I might even spring for a eternal want of Ebon Eyes. Or just go with a continuous item, that would put me back about 2000 gp for a lantern or something? 4000 gp for a slotless item?

deuxhero
2012-05-16, 01:15 AM
You can skip UMD (though you should have it, but it may be hard to use realibly early on) and make it an Eternal Wand, which you can use without it on your class list (and really, it should be anyways, but whatever) because you are an Arcane Caster.

You could also UMD a Runestaff with the spell and cast it using your own slots (UMDed Runestaffs are great for Beguilers in general, though you can only attune to one at a time)

Darrin
2012-05-16, 05:44 AM
Planar Touchstone -> Catalogues of Enlightenment will let you pick up the Baator domain power. Lets you see in any darkness, magical or otherwise, unlimited range.

Lactantius
2012-05-16, 04:46 PM
I recommend using the 3.0 darkness rule where dark is the real thing (aka pitch black).

As a second option, I could even go so far to allow seeing in magical darkness with darkvision (as spell or racial ability).

I find it ridicuolous that all those dark-dwellers (underdark races, demons, devils and so on) cannot apply the pitch black darkness (or their own racial SLA, like drows or tieflings) in combination with magical darkness.

On the other hand, darkvision is only a black-white sense while low light vision shows the true colors as if you would see them in daylight.
So, both visions have their places.