PDA

View Full Version : Using a Nishruu

Alleran
2012-05-16, 02:47 AM
The Nishruu can be found in Lost Empires of Faerun. It's basically a magic-eating creature.

I'm thinking of putting one of these up against my group (they're all level four - two Fighters, one Barbarian and one Wizard, none of which are particularly optimised). It would be drastically weakened (i.e. I'd chop out a lot of the HD from it), to represent that it's an escaped wizard's experimental creature (he kept it damaged and weak, and was trying to see if he could replicate the magic-stealing effect for his own gain; it escaped while he was away on other business) and knock the CR down from 6 (is that even reasonable, considering what it's capable of doing to magic and magic items?) to something closer to their own level.

In addition, while they do have (or will have soon, before they actually confront it) access to some better non-magical weapons (masterwork) for fighting it, none of them really have any magic items to speak of. Only the wizard really has any, and they're just a couple of scrolls. While it might be a bit dangerous for WBL if the creature ate, say, a bunch of wands, they're not really at the level yet where they have many magic items to lose.

Anyway, does anybody have any thoughts on using a Nishruu (or Laraken, from Shining South)? I suppose it's a bit like the Rust monster, where you have to be sure that you won't get your weapons/armour destroyed, but I've honestly never used a Nishruu before.