PDA

View Full Version : My Own 3e (Work in Progress)

Scowling Dragon
2012-05-16, 04:35 AM
Anyway, Im making my own 3e thing and I was wondering what your thoughts where and I was just thinking what the public thought of my idea of a perfect DD game:

Ability scores:
0 is the standard ability score and it gives 0 bonus. -1 is -1 and +1 is +1. Its determined by point buy.

There are five ability scores:

Strength
Dexterity
Constitution
Clarity
Charisma

Clarity represents your clearness of mind and soundness of thought. It gives bonuses to knowledge skills and determines skill points (As the clearer of thought you are the easier it is to learn new things)

No INT score as we already have skills to represent how knowledgable you are.

There are five defenses:

Reflex
Stability
Fortitude
Penatrability
Will

Stability is determined by your STR and shows how well you are at absorbing blows. How well you can resist strong winds or unavoidable attacks. Fortitude is only against poisons

Penetrability is how well your minds defenses hold up. Like against madnes based effects or the like.

Will is based on Charisma and its using your force of personality to defense against Psychic damaging or controlling attacks attacks.

There is some overlap in the saves but thats intentional, as some spells give either the caster or the defender the choice of what save to use. Also some abilities allow you to substitute one for another. Like always using stability (So your slow like a rock but you can withstand anything). They advance differently depending on class and max out at +15 at level 30 (Yes 30, not 20)

There are five classes:

Monk

Ranger

Barbarian

Fighter

And mage. The mage has his own variations for who likes Priests and elemntal casters, and necromancers and stuff.

I got rid of rouges mostly because they just depend on things that are earned by RPing or circumstance. Rangers can be more backstaby and stealthy. Rouges are just kinda stuck as rouges.

Actions:

Instead of just using the standard action array, how much you can do per round is determined by your Action dice.

You use your dice to move, attack, defend, counterattack, or make more accurate of either of these.

On attacking:

Lets say I have 4 action dice. I use one to move my standard speed (30Ft) and then I can use another one to attack with me sword. Or instead I can use two dice when I attack with my sword. When I do that I roll both the dice and then pick the one with the highest number.

On Defending:

Then I have 1 action die remaining. When I get attacked back I use my reflex against the opponents sword.

I use my base save + my weapons defense modifier +10+ Dexterity (Or I can roll it instead if i wish) if I have an extra action die remaining this round (That I wish to expend). If I don't then I instead use base save+ Weapon modifier + Dexterity +6.

Thus it is usually a better idea to save some dice for attacking and defending.

Counter:

If my opponents unmodified d20 roll is within 1 or less of my unmodified d20 roll then I can immediately counterstrike. Usually this means (If as a defender I decide to stick to a static +10 instead of rolling) If my oponent rolls 9, 10 or 11 I can counterstrike him.

I can counterstrike if I have any Dice remaining in my action dice pool (AD). I can even counterstrike if I have been hit.

Ranges:

There are 3 melee combat Ranges:

Distance
Melee
and Close.

Distance is when you can attack you opponent with a distance weapon like a halberd. It uses its own bonus to attack modifier.

Melee is the sword swipes and such. It has its own modifier.

Close is for punches, grapples, bites (Depending on how far they reach the attack can reach from a different distance as well).

If you have a reach weapon and attack from 1 square away of your opponent it takes 2 action dice to do so per attack. But it risks no chance of a counterstrike if my opponent is not also wielding a reach weapon.

To move melee and close distances you must expend 1 action dice or you take an attack of opportunity to the head (If your opponent has the action dice). Some abilities like pounce allow you to ignore it.

Weapons:

Weapons have different modifiers. Some can trip, some do more damage. Your weapon also gives you a bonus to defense (Which is applied to both stability and Reflex).

Your weapon also gives a bonus to specific melee distances:

A spear may give a large bonus to attack rolls to distance attacks yet might give a much smaller bonus with melee attacks and none to close.

This increased amount of variables for melee attacks allows for more variables in the different attacks given to martial characters

Il post of the rest of my redesign in progress later.

Note:

Some of this stuff is taken from Codex Martialis and Thieves world Sorcery Rules.

edit:

Skills:

I modeled my skills after the idea of the 1-10 ability ranking:

0: No Skill/ Auto Poor Skill
1: Basics
2: A bit of Practice
3: Average
4: Fairly Competent
5: Good!
6: VERY good
7: A Master
8: Renown Master
9: Master of masters
10: God dam batman.

After I reach a specific amount of skill points my standard skill gets upgraded.

So lets say to reach each rank I must get 5 per rank (So to reach Very good I must have 30 skill points).

Once I reach a specific rank the power gets upgraded:

Example with Jump and Intimidate:

0: No Skill/ Auto Poor Skill
1: Basics

Jumping:
Jump over a small pit
Intimidate: Make people Uncomfortable

2: A bit of Practice
No upgrade

3: Average
No upgrade

4: Fairly Competent
No Upgrade

5: Good!

Jump a Building
Make a group uncomfortable

6: VERY good

Jump a block
Terrify a large group

7: A Master

Jump a couple of blocks
Make an army uncomfortable and those nearby scared

8: Renown Master

Jump through city
Scare an Army

9: Master of masters
Jump distance between two cities
Majorly Scare an Army

10: God dam batman
Jump a continent
Intimidate an army into a mad fear frenzy.

So until I reach 25 skill points in jump it works like normal. But once I do I begin to measure my jumps in much larger amounts.

So for example at 25 ranks I stop measuring my jumps in feet but in 25 feet at a time.

Ashtagon
2012-05-16, 04:50 AM
I see you got rid of the rouge. What will the mimes wear in your rules system? Or have you removed those too?

Scowling Dragon
2012-05-16, 05:08 AM
Uh..... The same Black and white clown getup?

GnomeGninjas
2012-05-16, 05:47 AM
I don't think that your class choice was very good.
1) An underpowered martial artist.
2) A warrior guy.
3) A warrior guy who gets angry and if you go by the fluff has to be a tribal savage.
4) A warrior guy with more skills and some okay powers who sadly has to 2WF or use Archery
5) A magic guy which can have a whole lot of flexibility in what he class means exacly.

Why did you choose them exactly? I don't think you need Fighter at all because the bonus feats aren't to great and if you are using them just to take the feats needed to use an underpowered combat style like archery or 2WF you can just be ranger and if you are using 2HF you might as well be a barbarian with out the fluff for it and get a few class features and a battle trance you can use a few times per day. I think that including rogue (not rouge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rouge)) would be good because they have a lot of skills that aren't just naturey , trap finding and sneak attack which lets the fact that in there fluff the sneak around and stab people give some meaningful benefit.

Invader
2012-05-16, 05:53 AM
It doesn't look bad. It seems like you're taking a lot of "core" mechanics and changing them enough that they're actually different but not so much that people will be confused.

I like that some things look quite a bit more simplified but not simple, if that makes sense lol.

The only thing that looks really unappealing to me is that all the melee classes (minus monk) just seem like variations of a fighter but I suppose that's more personal taste than anything.

Scowling Dragon
2012-05-16, 05:54 AM
I don't think that your class choice was very good.

Im not finished changing them. I decided to arrange the classes from most offensive - most defensive. They will be radically different from the core.

I plan to give classes allot more flexibility in their attacks. Monks capable of leaping onto opponents, and then leaping off them, jumping onto another opponent whilst knocking the person they jumped off to the ground.

Eldariel
2012-05-16, 05:58 AM
Uhh...Homebrew forum, much?

Scowling Dragon
2012-05-16, 06:03 AM
Sorry. Also posted up my skills Idea.

GnomeGninjas
2012-05-16, 04:05 PM
Im not finished changing them. I decided to arrange the classes from most offensive - most defensive. They will be radically different from the core.

I plan to give classes allot more flexibility in their attacks. Monks capable of leaping onto opponents, and then leaping off them, jumping onto another opponent whilst knocking the person they jumped off to the ground.

Oh, if you had specified that or called them something like
unarmed fight
spell caster
nature's warrior
etc. it would have been a lot easier.

KillianHawkeye
2012-05-16, 08:43 PM
This could end up being a pretty interesting system, but it doesn't seem to be based on D&D at all anymore.

Scowling Dragon
2012-05-17, 02:39 AM
Well its got a COUPLE of elements of DnD. Like Dr, HP, saves, BAB and spell resistance

Scowling Dragon
2012-05-17, 05:02 AM
Anyway the current organization system is a mess. Im just spamming my thoughts here. To see what people think.