PDA

View Full Version : Iterative diplomacy?

Gwendol
2012-05-16, 06:28 AM
Quick question:
How do you handle iterative diplomacy checks (to influence NPC attitudes)?

Example: Player manages to change NPC from Hostile to Indifferent
A little later, the conversation has changed and the player gives the NPC a proposition. The ensuing diplomacy check changes the attitude from Indifferent to Helpful, if that is allowed/supported?

In other words: do you keep the baseline attitude or does it also change with every diplomacy check?

chomskola
2012-05-16, 06:40 AM
ID also be interested in how DMs integrate diplomacy rolls with RP ??

Ashtagon
2012-05-16, 06:56 AM
RAW says no if you failed any previous attempt, or "GM call" if you have made every previous Diplomacy check.

Incidentally, RAW is broken for that skill. But I repeat myself.

Gwendol
2012-05-16, 07:02 AM
I know what the SRD says about the skill, I'm interested in continued (successful) useage of the skill.

And yes, the fixed DC's are rather amusing.

Kol Korran
2012-05-16, 07:14 AM
Rich has fixed the diplomacy rule quite nicely. i have used it for quite awhile and it works wonderfully.

look at the side bar, under gaming at the last line "looking for the gaming articles". it's in the second post or something like that.

it's a VERY good rule, though it takes a little bit to get used to. served my group well.

LordBlades
2012-05-16, 07:29 AM
ID also be interested in how DMs integrate diplomacy rolls with RP ??

The way we do in in my group: RP consist in giving the outline of what you want to get from the people you're trying Diplomacy on, the Diplomacy roll represents how well you put those ideas into practice.

Elfinor
2012-05-16, 09:22 AM
It all depends on the initial attitude by RAW. So if you improve an Unfriendly character's attitude to Friendly (DC 25) it still takes a DC 40 check (based off their initial Unfriendly attitude, not a DC 20 check based on the new Friendly attitude) to improve the relationship to Helpful.

I also echo general thread sentiment on Diplomacy's brokenness, you're probably sick of hearing it now:smallyuk: