PDA

View Full Version : Creating a character Journal/Log. Have you?

Olfgar
2012-05-16, 09:43 AM
So, i am thinking of creating a logbook or journal my character has been writing in, that has been started before the campaign (see: back story), not only as a way to help keep me IC and in my characters mindset, but to also flesh it out even more. It will have things in it like the normal stuff like important or interesting things that happened, but also my characters feeling and opinions on event and people they know, met, or are adventuring with. Im either going to be typing or writing it out, and having it as an item on my character in game as well, with the risk of other PC's getting their hands on it and finding out my secrets.

Whats your opinion on this? And have you done something like this your self?

Tyger
2012-05-16, 10:03 AM
Our entire group does this (with differing levels of participation) for all our games, and we post our journals / experiences for the rest of the group to read on our shared forums. We've found that it can really enhance the RP of the group, and really helps for everyone to get a better understanding of the motivations and moral stances of the individual characters.

There was originally some concern about metagame knowledge, but it has never been an issue - though our group is currently composed of some pretty damned fine role-players who are all good friends and are mature (both in age and in emotional states) so that is certainly a factor.

Olfgar
2012-05-16, 04:08 PM
I know since Ive brought it up with them, atleast one of the other players is liking the idea of doing the journal thing and is also starting one.

Malimar
2012-05-16, 06:07 PM
I don't normally do this, only keeping notes on things I think I think I'll have some pressing need to remember.

But I recently noticed that one of the players in a game I'm DMing is keeping a more general log of events, and it filled my black heart with joy.

So I'm all for it.

Kol Korran
2012-05-17, 08:58 AM
in a campaign i played 2-3 years ago my character kept a journal. it had short entries of life before adventuring (mostly since i didn't have quite the feel for the character yet), but quite detailed info on the happenings of the adventures, and the time between adventures later on.

(if you're interested, the following pages (http://frdnd.pbworks.com/w/page/4633878/Bruthus%27%20Journal) are the outcome of this journal, for possible structure. please avoid bad spelling or grammar. also, i'm not sure if the page loads for everyone, if it doesn't, message me and i'll put you in)

However, be aware that:
- not all DMs read campaign journals or use the info int them inside the game.
- not all players will read your journal either.
or in short: write the journal if it's something YOU like to do. if the writing gives you pleasure. (i personally found it help me connect to the character much more, and give meaning to certain occurrences). if you want something to be developed, talk about it with the DM/ players.

on the whole i find keeping a log, whether from the character's point of view, the player, or the DM (when i hold the seat. some examples in my links) are quite enjoyable. it might be quite tasking, depending on what length you go into, but you'll find what is right for you. :smallsmile:

good luck!

Badgerish
2012-05-17, 09:21 AM
I think writing an in-character journal or log is a great aid to the memory and useful for getting into the character's head.

As mentioned, don't expect it to be a work of high fiction or for others to read it intently, so do it for yourself, not for others.

Still, nothing wrong with sharing it if you wish, like this: The Dairy of Rogar Riverborn (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iKzVzs6meO_1v2oxCE15HeMzjAYlA3lCqojoeZdpWxc/edit?authkey=CIfQ_sIK)
(D&D 4ed, lvl1-6, complete, spoilers for 'The Slaying Stone')