PDA

View Full Version : A quick question

Shadow Lord
2012-05-16, 11:14 AM
Is it against the forum rules to create a thread requesting for information on the current U.S.A. Presidential election? I'd rather not get an infraction, so I'd just like to make sure one way or the other.

NerfTW
2012-05-16, 11:18 AM
I'm pretty, mostly, really, positively sure that asking for information about politics counts as discussing politics.

Hbgplayer
2012-05-16, 11:31 AM
Inappropriate Topics
The following topics are always off-limits on these forums, no matter what (hence, Inappropriate Topics). Any posts including these topics will be edited, and any threads started to discuss these topics will be locked...

•Real-world politics (including political reactions to gaming)

I think this should answer your question.

Rawhide
2012-05-16, 11:49 AM
Thank you for asking, rather than just posting.

There are many topics which intersect with in unexpected ways, such as is the case with LGBTA, violent video games, and even Dungeons and Dragons itself (though less so now). Discussing those topics is not inherently against the rules, but we do request that you ask us first if there's anything that could be contentious. In the rules, we ask you to give it a very wide berth, and that is because we have discovered that some people will draw the line far too close, then end up in hot water. We want you to interpret is as wide as possible, then avoid posting if in doubt or ask a moderator. We can give you an answer on whether it is allowed or not, and warn you if it is likely do devolve and be closed, despite your best intentions. Sometimes, moderator time permitting, we will allow a thread that is borderline with close scrutiny and a moderator willing to keep nudging the thread back away from the danger zone. There are examples of this happening relatively recently and much further back. Unfortunately, many of them do end up having to be closed, at least temporarily, though some remain on topic.

However, that said, discussion about a political topic, particularly one as current as this one, is highly political, rather than just a topic that has some tangential political links. As such, discussing a current election would not be allowed, sorry.