PDA

View Full Version : Antagonist for a Rakshasa

Hohat
2012-05-16, 12:46 PM
My 3.5 campaign features an LE Rakshasa representing the aspect of Law.

He is a 9th Level Sorc (Actual Level 16, ECL 23) and regularly poses as a human.

I am trying to find a good aspect of Chaos to oppose him, both in Race and Class.

For the Race, I'm hoping (but have had little luck so far) to find an Outsider race which also benefits from caster/manifester/whatever levels for each level of Outsider, has the ability to turn into a humanoid (not really necessary, but would be nice), and is Chaotic Good or Chaotic Neutral.

The only thing I've found close is a Couatl- it's almost perfect, except that it's always lawful. Bummer.

Can anyone help me out? All 3.5 books are allowed. Thanks!

Larkas
2012-05-16, 12:51 PM
Hmmmm, if it weren't for the "nonevil" restriction, I'd propose a succubus :smallfrown:

You could, however, use a slaad. IIRC, the grey ones are casters, nonevil and the very personification of chaos.

Telonius
2012-05-16, 12:51 PM
Ghaele Eladrin. Bonus antagonism points if it turns into a ball of colors, and the Rakshasa tries to pounce on it.

hamishspence
2012-05-16, 12:52 PM
What about Valkyries from Tome of Battle? chaotic, humanoid, lots of martial manuevers?

Downysole
2012-05-16, 03:05 PM
I agree regarding the Gray or Green Slaad. With LA 6 and 7 respectively, that gives you a good amount of firepower to work up over the levels.

Of course, if you want to go with a completely different class from the Rakshasa, you might want to go with one of the more brutish Slaad (blue / red) and go for a class that lets you shift into a human since those monsters don't let you control your shape.

Dragons are always fun too.

Hohat
2012-05-16, 04:11 PM
Huh, a Grey Slaad might actually work quite well.

Ghaele Eladrin seem so serious, and I guess I pictured the character as playful, but I really shouldn't let that affect my decision. They would also work well.

I had been considering Wilder to oppose Sorcerer, but if I'm going with a Slaad maybe a caster is the best thing to counter a caster.

Just curious, now that I've looked closer- does anyone know why Grey Slaad have a lower LA than Green?

Larkas
2012-05-16, 04:28 PM
Probably has something to do with the green being large and the gray being medium. The gray has an extra RHD, however.

Feralventas
2012-05-16, 04:32 PM
Huh, a Grey Slaad might actually work quite well.

Ghaele Eladrin seem so serious, and I guess I pictured the character as playful, but I really shouldn't let that affect my decision. They would also work well.

I had been considering Wilder to oppose Sorcerer, but if I'm going with a Slaad maybe a caster is the best thing to counter a caster.

Just curious, now that I've looked closer- does anyone know why Grey Slaad have a lower LA than Green?

The green has a higher LA, but 1 fewer Hit-Die, so they wind up at the same starting point ECL-wise at least as far as the initial level gains go. The Grey still seems more powerful with the DR, though the Size modifiers have negatives as well as positives...

I'd also like to suggest a Pixie-Fairy (MM1 LA+4) No HD to worry about so the class levels stack up pretty quickly, so Sorcerer/Warblade into Jade Phoenix Mage (Dual progression arcane/martial). Put that high int to work along with Weapon Finesse, maybe go Swordsage for Setting Sun maneuvers to deal with the size difference and be a happy-go-lucky little bunch of pixie-dust and POWER.

Hohat
2012-05-16, 05:59 PM
I'd also like to suggest a Pixie-Fairy (MM1 LA+4) No HD to worry about so the class levels stack up pretty quickly, so Sorcerer/Warblade into Jade Phoenix Mage (Dual progression arcane/martial). Put that high int to work along with Weapon Finesse, maybe go Swordsage for Setting Sun maneuvers to deal with the size difference and be a happy-go-lucky little bunch of pixie-dust and POWER.

Pixies are incredible. I had no idea.
Alright, I'm sure lots of you are going to be all "WTF?" but I think this is what I'm doing:

CG Pixie Beg5/Wild Mage6/Anarchic Initiate5 (took Overchannel to qualify).

Needs some tweaking, but I like the flavor, and my players will be all sorts of confused. Possibly literally if their Will Save is low.