PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions needed about a certain campaign

DarkEternal
2012-05-16, 07:02 PM
Hello.

After a lot of searching, I managed to obtain the first book in the Drow War(3.5) campaign. It's an epic campaign spanning three books, and each is like 250 pages long or something. After reading through the first part, it seems like a really fun way of starting a campaign and playing through it and I'm sure my players will like it as well.

We're gonna start at it soon, and I have a few questions, starting first with the signature weapons.

Those who played it know what I'm talking about but for those that don't, it's basically a weapon, an armour or a shield that the characters feel a special bond to. IT's similar to relic weapons(I think) that it starts off as fairly weak but as the character levels up, it becomes stronger and stronger, and only the character it was destined for can use it's abilities.

The book speaks of weapons, armor and shield, but also gives variant rules for other pieces of equipment, like rings or a spell book.

What it basically does is that you get a number of points that you can assign at each level to obtain different abilities, similar to how a kensai can use his innate powers to power up his weapon. Depending on the point usage, you can give enchantment bonuses, or weapon properties to it.

Now, that is all good and fine when armor and weapons are concerned, but other stuff needs to have some of those things tweaked. One of my players will play an archivist, so he suggested a prayerbook for his preferred signature item.

The book recommends that such an item adds spells that he doesn't know, or perhaps gives abilities akin to a metamagic rod, which I can pull off. However, I have no idea what to do with a bard. He asked if he can have his instrument be a signature weapon. From a lore perspective, I don't see why not, but in mechanics terms, I could use some help. What abilities would an instrument gain, and how would it gain them? More songs? Some specific bard abilties when he uses the instrument in mid combat?

Something else?

JeminiZero
2012-05-16, 07:27 PM
Well off the top of my head, besides more songs, you could give the Bard:
-Stronger songs (Usually in the form of +X bonus to inspire courage, where X scales through the levels. You could also have +X apply to the save DC vs their fascinate)
-More spells known (You could have different price tiers: cheaper for low level spells. More expensive if the bard wants to use this to gain spells not on his class list).
-Extra spell slots
-Bonus to Bardic Knowledge

And that is besides the stuff useful for any character:
-Bonus on certain skills
-Bonus on attack rolls/damage
-Bonus to saving throws

Invader
2012-05-16, 07:59 PM
-Stronger songs (Usually in the form of +X bonus to inspire courage, where X scales through the levels. You could also have +X apply to the save DC vs their fascinate)
-More spells known (You could have different price tiers: cheaper for low level spells. More expensive if the bard wants to use this to gain spells not on his class list).
-Extra spell slots

-Bonus on certain skills
-Bonus to saving throws

I think all of this is exactly right.

Lostbutseeking
2012-05-16, 08:23 PM
You can add themed SLA's to it as well.

DarkEternal
2012-05-17, 05:41 AM
-Extra spell slots

-Bonus on certain skills
-Bonus to saving throws

That's not bad...perhaps if he uses his bardic music ability in combat, this "unlocks" certain things. So basically, if he uses it, he could get bonuses on his songs, or more spells become available as long as the effects of bardic music are heard.

Out of combat, bonuses to knowledge skill, diplomacy and stuff.