PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Dragon Encounter

INDYSTAR188
2012-05-16, 09:42 PM
Hello Everybody!

I'm running the H2 Orcus Conversion for my players and they have just made it to the point where they are about to descend to the sea of shadows. This is a place where the world and the shadowfell meet. I plan on using the modules suggestion of a Shadow Dragon but I want to change this encounter. I want to upgrade the dragon to MM3 stats and I want to make it a harder encounter than whats listed (just the dragon - a level 5 solo) and make him a level 9 Elite Lurker instead. Additionally I want to have other monsters there but am not sure what to use. The PC's are going to be ambushed by the dragon after they are engaged in combat by whatever monsters I use while they are walking across a land-bridge over the sea of shadows.

I'm hoping to get advice on my conversion of the dragon as well as some interesting things I could add to the encounter including:
-terrain features
-monsters to augment the fight (other than the dragon)
-any other random things you think appropriate

The party consists of (all level 7, semi-optimized)
-Dwarf Tactical Warlord
-Eladrin Greatspear Fighter
-Half Elf Paladin of Khelmvor
-Half Elf Bard/Warlock
-Razor Claw Shifter Monk

Thank you for taking the time to read this and hopefully for your assistance!

Shadow Dragon Level 9 Elite:

Young Shadow Dragon
Large Shadow Magical Beast (Dragon) 800XP
HP 206; Bloodied 103 INT +12
AC 25; FORT 22, REF 22, WILL 20 PERC +9
Speed 8, Fly 8 (hover), Overland Flight 10, Swim 8
Resist: 15 Necrotic; Vulnerable: Radiant 5 (causes Globe of Darkness to Disappear)
Saves: +2, Action Point 1
Traits:
Combat Advantage: +1d6 against a target that grants it CA
Nightmare Presence (fear, psychic) * Aura 2: Any enemy that starts and ends its turn in the aura takes 10 psychic damage
Standard Actions:
Bite * At Will: Melee 2 (one creature); +14 vs AC; 2d8+8
Claw * At Will: Melee 2 (one creature); +14 vs AC; 2d6+6
Draconic Frenzy * At Will: Makes a Bite and Claw attack
Necrotic Breath * Recharge 4,5,6 (Necrotic): Close Blast 5; +12 vs FORT; 2d10+6 damage and target loses one healing surge and is weakened(save);Aftereffect: Any necrotic resistance is negated until end of encounter; Miss: half damage and doesn't lose a healing surge
Minor Actions:
Frightful Presence (encounter, fear): Close Burst 5 +12 vs WILL; target dazed until end of dragons next turn; Aftereffect: target takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls (save)
Globe of Darkness (1/round, sustain minor, At Will, zone): Area Burst 2 in 10; creates a zone of darkness that remains until end of dragons next turn. Blocks line of sight for everyone except dragon. Any creature (except dragon) inside zone is blind
Triggered Actions:
Tail Slash (Immediate Reaction when an enemy misses w/a melee attack, At Will): +14 vs AC; 2d6+6
Bloodied Breath (free when bloodied, encounter, necrotic): Breath recharges and dragon uses it immediately

Snowbody
2012-05-16, 10:02 PM
The folks who made the Orcus Conversion also posted a supplement that updates all the custom monsters to MM3 stats...here it is:

http://web.comhem.se/mwester/Shadowfell/Documents/H1-E3_Monster_Update.pdf

INDYSTAR188
2012-05-18, 09:43 PM
Thank you very much for the update! That's super helpful and I appreciate it. The update didn't include the Shadow Dragon encounter, with that in mind do you think the version of it that I have posted looks appropriate?

Snowbody
2012-05-21, 02:10 PM
What's the date on the file you downloaded? The one I just grabbed had a 2012-05-16 date, and the shadow dragon encounter is on page 41 of 117.

INDYSTAR188
2012-05-23, 09:59 AM
I found it in there actually. They have it listed as a Solo but I'm just gonna go w the dragon I put together. They have two separate shadow dragon encounters, do you think that's to many? I plan on using the one listed in the changes (level 5 solo) in the gnoll section and my dragon at the vortex of shadows section. Thanks for all your help!