PDA

View Full Version : (PF) Monsters as PC: Pixie

APersonAmI
2012-05-17, 08:00 AM
I'd like to find out what the Pixie's bonuses to ability scores are in Pathfinder. In addition, If a Pixie were to take PC class levels, does it's Spell Resistance scale with level, or is it static?

grarrrg
2012-05-17, 08:10 AM
I'd like to find out what the Pixie's bonuses to ability scores are in Pathfinder. In addition, If a Pixie were to take PC class levels, does it's Spell Resistance scale with level, or is it static?

If you're a player, ask your DM.
Pixie's can be extremely broken in the hands of a player, mainly due to its invisibility:

A pixie remains invisible even when it attacks. This ability is constant, but the pixie can suppress or resume it as a free action.
There's no way this can end well.

If you ARE the DM, and this is for an NPC, or you actually want to let a Player have at it...
Going by the 3.5 conversion standard (subtract scores from 10-or-11)...
Str -4
Dex +10
Con +2
Int +6
Wis +4
Cha +6

Those seem extremely high for Player mods.
Maybe chop them in half (rounding 'down' to nearest +2)
Str -2
Dex +4
Con 0
Int +2
Wis +2
Cha +2

Still overpowered compared to 'normal' races, but much more reasonable.

As for SR, it has SR 15, and 4HD, so 11+HD should work fine.

APersonAmI
2012-05-17, 08:23 AM
If you're a player, ask your DM.
Pixie's can be extremely broken in the hands of a player, mainly due to its invisibility:

There's no way this can end well.

If you ARE the DM, and this is for an NPC, or you actually want to let a Player have at it...
Going by the 3.5 conversion standard (subtract scores from 10-or-11)...
Str -4
Dex +10
Con +2
Int +6
Wis +4
Cha +6

Those seem extremely high for Player mods.
Maybe chop them in half (rounding 'down' to nearest +2)
Str -2
Dex +4
Con 0
Int +2
Wis +2
Cha +2

Still overpowered compared to 'normal' races, but much more reasonable.

As for SR, it has SR 15, and 4HD, so 11+HD should work fine.

Holy crap, those are CRAZY ability modifiers for 4 CR, those alone with a small race would be nuts, but with the Perfect Invisibility on top of that- wow.
Honestly, I didn't ask this question planning to build a Pixie character, I merely wanted to know what I was looking at if I were to consider it. Althougth, now I know this, I can't help thinking about making a Pixie Blade Bravo with permanencied Reduce Person... Anyway, thanks:smallsmile:

Bahamut Omega
2012-05-17, 09:30 AM
Does PF do Level Adjustments? I'm currently playing a pixie in a 3.5 game. She has 1 level of Wilderness Rogue and is in a party with 5th to 6th level party members. Because of her +4 LA, she has almost no hit points and low saves, but she gets extremely good ability scores (-4 Str, +8 Dex, +6 Int, +4 Wis, and +6 Cha), spell-like abilities, damage reduction, and natural invisibility.

For the most part, she's the party scout. She can do some damage since all her attacks qualify as sneak attacks, but what she excels at by far is just not getting hit. One solid hit could easily drop her. In short, there's a lot of power there, but very little durability.

APersonAmI
2012-05-17, 09:46 AM
Does PF do Level Adjustments? I'm currently playing a pixie in a 3.5 game. She has 1 level of Wilderness Rogue and is in a party with 5th to 6th level party members. Because of her +4 LA, she has almost no hit points and low saves, but she gets extremely good ability scores (-4 Str, +8 Dex, +6 Int, +4 Wis, and +6 Cha), spell-like abilities, damage reduction, and natural invisibility.

For the most part, she's the party scout. She can do some damage since all her attacks qualify as sneak attacks, but what she excels at by far is just not getting hit. One solid hit could easily drop her. In short, there's a lot of power there, but very little durability.

No. LA is gone in PF. The Pathfinder way is that your monster CR+Class Level=Character level for the purpose of APL. However, for every 2 monster CR you have, you get an extra Class Level every 3 levels, gained between 2nd and 3rd level. So a Pixie in PF would get one extra class level between her 2nd and 3rd character level, and another between 5th and 6th, meaning she would have 4 Fey HD and 8 class levels at 10th APL equivalent, and then progress like any other character.

grarrrg
2012-05-17, 10:06 AM
No. LA is gone in PF. The Pathfinder way is that your monster CR+Class Level=Character level for the purpose of APL. However, for every 2 monster CR you have, you get an extra Class Level every 3 levels, gained between 2nd and 3rd level. So a Pixie in PF would get one extra class level between her 2nd and 3rd character level, and another between 5th and 6th, meaning she would have 4 Fey HD and 8 class levels at 10th APL equivalent, and then progress like any other character.

Keep in mind that's a just a suggested ruling, not a hard rule.

Also "GMs should carefully consider any monster PCs in their groups. Some creatures are simply not suitable for play as PCs, due to their powers or role in the game. As monster characters progress, GMs should closely monitor whether such characters are disruptive or abusive to the rules and modify them as needed to improve play."
A Pixie's Permanent Invisibility is definitely in the "questionable" column.

Bahamut Omega
2012-05-18, 08:48 AM
I can say that in our 3.5 game, my character's permanent invisibility hasn't been that disruptive. She's not able to deal anywhere close to as much damage as our rampaging orc barbarian (2d4+18 with a guisarme, hits like a boss to say the least) and can't take a hit either. For the most part, her high intelligence and dex makes her an excellent skill monkey.

In combat, she often isn't very good at dealing a lot of damage, but she's an effective distraction. Because she's invisible, she can bypass a wall of enemies to take direct shots at enemy casters and archers. Given how high her touch AC is and the fact that she has evasion, she's not normally in a lot of danger when doing this.

imneuromancer
2012-05-18, 09:33 AM
We just made pixies in Pathfinder using the Advanced Race Guide Playtest (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/v5748btpy8osf)

Can't remmeber every point we allocated, but basically we had them get:
* a low-level flying that increased with level. At 1st level they could fly their base movement rate for one round, but had to "land" in a square at the end of the round. By 11th level they get "true flight"
* invisibility spell 1/day (NOT invis at will!!!!)
* pretty good stats, some skill bumps for stealth

It was actually pretty easy to make them and not have it be overpowered.