PDA

View Full Version : A fun low-level character, 3.5.

Cuthalion
2012-05-17, 08:20 AM
I generated a third-level character once who was an elvish fighter, with Two Weapon Fighting, Weapon Focus:Bastard Sword, and a few other nice fighting feats, and anyhow, he dualwielded bastard swords. This is actually quite powerful if you're fighting, because they have a good crit range, d10 damage, and I mean, really, you're dualwielding to gigantic swords. I thought it was worth it for at least low levels. Any thoughts?

Melnir
2012-05-17, 08:22 AM
I generated a third-level character once who was an elvish fighter, with Two Weapon Fighting, Weapon Focus:Bastard Sword, and a few other nice fighting feats, and anyhow, he dualwielded bastard swords. This is actually quite powerful if you're fighting, because they have a good crit range, d10 damage, and I mean, really, you're dualwielding to gigantic swords. I thought it was worth it for at least low levels. Any thoughts?

You need a feat to avoid penalties while longsword has the same crit. range and only delas 1 less damage/hit. It's not a good choice IMO.

Gavinfoxx
2012-05-17, 08:35 AM
That is actually not powerful at all, in any way shape or form. It's one of the weakest combinations in the game, actually. You spend a crazy amount of feats for little to no benefit whatsoever.

Let's put it this way:

Attack and Damage on a Full Attack for a level 3 character with full bab and 16 str with two weapon fighting, weapon focus bastard sword, exotic weapon proficiency bastard sword, and oversized two weapon fighting, and two normal Bastard Swords. Price: Four Feats (!).

main attack: +3 bab + 3 str -2 twf +1 weapon focus for: +5 to hit
Damage: 1d10+3 (x1 str)
average Damage on a hit: 8.5

off hand: +3 bab +3 str - 2 twf +1 weapon focus for: +5 to hit
Damage: 1d10+1 (x.5 str)
average Damage on a hit: 6.5

Compare that with a level 1 whirling frenzy barbarian with the feat Power Attack and a single Greatsword and 16 str, in a Whirling Frenzy. And this attack can be done as a standard action, not just a Full Attack Action. Price: Picking one of the best melee classes in the game for at least a dip, and one feat. Oh, and you can pick up Pounce by making this guy a Spirit Lion Totem Whirling Frenzy Barbarian as well -- to get iteratives or two weapon fighting on a charge attack.

Attack #1: +1 Bab, +5 str (16 +4 = 20) - 2 whirling frenzy for: +4 to hit
Damage: 2d6+7 (x1.5 str)
Average Damage on a hit: 14

Attack #2: +1 Bab, +5 str (16 +4 = 20) - 2 whirling frenzy for: +4 to hit

--OR--

Attack #1: +5 str (16 +4 = 20) - 2 whirling frenzy for: +3 to hit
Damage: 2d6+9 (x1.5 str, with Power Attack for full at a 1:2 ratio)
Average Damage on a Hit: 16

Attack #2: +5 str (16 +4 = 20) - 2 whirling frenzy for: +3 to hit
Damage: 2d6+9 (x1.5 str, with Power Attack for full at a 1:2 ratio)
Average Damage on a Hit: 16

So you are spending... how many feats for an inferior combat style again?

And if you wanted two weapon fighting on my guy, you could just add a Fighter level for Barbarian1/Fighter 1 for Two Weapon Fighting, which would give you this attack option on a full attack with Whirling Frenzy:

Attack #1, Greatsword: +2 Bab, +5 str (16 +4 = 20) - 2 whirling frenzy - 2 twf for: +3 to hit

Attack #2, Greatsword: +2 Bab, +5 str (16 +4 = 20) - 2 whirling frenzy - 2 twf for: +3 to hit

Attack #3, Armor Spikes: +2 Bab, +5 str (16 +4 = 20) - 2 whirling frenzy - 2 twf for: +3 to hit
Damage: 1d6+3 (x.5 str)
Average Damage on a hit: 6.5

I wouldn't suggest this, in general. The extra weapon and attack isn't generally worth it -- if you want to benefit from a -2 to hit, just use Power Attack instead. You can invest more into that, getting Leap Attack and Shock Trooper and such.

Gavinfoxx
2012-05-17, 08:50 AM
Here's a solid damage dealing character at level 6...

Human, Spirit Lion Totem, Whirling Frenzy Barbarian 6

Feats:
1. Power Attack
Hu: Battle Jump
3: Improved Bull Rush
6: Shock Trooper

Items of note: A +1 Gloryborn Valorous Greatsword (a +2-equivalent weapon).
A +2 Enhancement item of strength.

Assumptions: He starts with an 18 strength and he puts his level 4 bonus to strength, and he maxxes Jump.

Here is his attack routine on a Whirling Frenzy-enabled Heedless Charge, jumping at the enemy to enable Battle Jump, with full power attack, at level 6:

Attack 1:
25 str (+7)
-2 to hit from whirling frenzy
+6 bab to hit
+1 enhancement to hit

Damage: 2d6
+1 enhancement
+10 strength (7 +3)
+1 Gloryborn
+12 Power Attack

Multiplier x3 = Battle Jump (x2) + Valorous (x2)

(So a 2d6 changes into 6d6 after the x3 multiplier)

Damage on first attack is 6d6+72

So +12/6d6+72
or an average of 93 damage.

Attack 2:
25 str (+7)
+6 bab to hit
+1 enhancement to hit

This is the same as the first attack, so +12/6d6+72
again, an average of 93 damage.

Attack 3:
25 str (+7)
+1 bab to hit
+1 enhancement to hit

+7 to hit

Damage:
2d6
+1 enhancement
+10 strength (7+3)
+1 Gloryborn
+2 power attack

So this is +7/6d6+42
An average of 63 damage.

Psyren
2012-05-17, 10:58 AM
Any thoughts?

Since you ask...

I'm not sure if your table has any houserules in place that might mitigate this, but as-written that build is not very good. Recall that, to wield a BS one-handed, you need Exotic Weapon Proficiency in it - another feat down the drain (and one you did not list.) Combine that with all the TWF feats you'll need to have a prayer of hitting with them, plus the fact that TWF requires high Dex and you have no source of bonus damage to mitigate the lower Str you'll need to focus on Dex (or the survivability you'll need if you neglect Con instead) and you have a recipe for disaster.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-05-17, 11:33 AM
On a standard level 3 strength 18 fighter...

Double bastard swords: EWP, TWF, OTWF
-2 penalty on attack rolls
2d10+6. Avg 17

Greatsword: Power Attack, Weapon Focus
-2 penalty on attack rolls
2d6+6+6. Avg 19

So, for one less feat, a THFer has either an extra +2 damage or +1 attack. For two less feats, he has the same attack and damage. He can also deal his full damage on a single, standard action attack, or a charge, meaning he's more mobile. With that extra feat, you can cover your weak save with Iron Will. With two extra feats, you can cover it with Endurance and Steadfast Determination, and pour more points into constitution since you don't need dex 15. In addition, masterwork/magic only costs half as much.

prufock
2012-05-17, 12:32 PM
Keep in mind "fun" and "powerful" are not the same thing. But to echo what others have said, dual-wielding bastard swords is not a mechanically good idea. If you want to make a lot of attack rolls, you would be better off two-weapon fighting with a longsword and shortsword, or a rapier and kukri (if you prefer higher crit range over higher base damage). Don't spend that feat on exotic weapon proficiency: bastard sword.

Also, bonus damage is important to a "many attacks" build, so drop the third fighter level and pick up one level of rogue and get used to flanking with a buddy, or pick up a level or two of ranger if you face the same enemy type very often.

Not an optimal solution, but still fits your basic concept, and does so with less feat cost, and sticks with core only.

Ashtagon
2012-05-17, 12:53 PM
Since you ask...

I'm not sure if your table has any houserules in place that might mitigate this, but as-written that build is not very good. Recall that, to wield a BS one-handed, you need Exotic Weapon Proficiency in it - another feat down the drain (and one you did not list.) Combine that with all the TWF feats you'll need to have a prayer of hitting with them, plus the fact that TWF requires high Dex and you have no source of bonus damage to mitigate the lower Str you'll need to focus on Dex (or the survivability you'll need if you neglect Con instead) and you have a recipe for disaster.

You don't need the EWP if they are halfling-sized bastard swords...

Gavinfoxx
2012-05-17, 12:54 PM
Jade Dragon, your math is flat wrong.

Here's why:

Holding a weapon in two hands = 1.5x strength to damage.

Holding a weapon in one hand = 1.0x strength to damage

Secondary Weapon when Two Weapon Fighting = 0.5x strength to damage

So, a str 18 fighter with greatsword does 2d6+6.

A str 18 fighter with one handed bastard sword does 1d10+4.

A str 18 fighter with two one handed bastard swords, two weapon fighting, and oversized two weapon fighting does 1d10+4 and 1d10+2. Also, this two weapon fighting character takes penalties to hit compared to the Greatsword fighter. Also, they have to enchant TWO weapons rather than one, so their weapons are likely going to end up being worse...

Ashtagon
2012-05-17, 12:54 PM
Since you ask...

Psyren
2012-05-17, 01:11 PM

He said "d10 damage" in the OP, so I assumed they were medium size.

But even if mismatching the size saves him a feat, it also means he has an attack roll penalty on top of everything else.

Urpriest
2012-05-17, 02:13 PM
In terms of fun low-level characters, I've been impressed with the capabilities of Beguilers. Access to Undetectable Alignment at level 1 means you can spend the entire campaign with the party Paladin none the wiser.

Gavinfoxx
2012-05-17, 02:13 PM
Uh yea, you do need OWP... I think you are mixing 3.0e rules and 3.5e rules, maybe??

Hiro Protagonest
2012-05-17, 03:57 PM
Jade Dragon, your math is flat wrong.

Here's why:

Holding a weapon in two hands = 1.5x strength to damage.

Holding a weapon in one hand = 1.0x strength to damage

Secondary Weapon when Two Weapon Fighting = 0.5x strength to damage

So, a str 18 fighter with greatsword does 2d6+6.

A str 18 fighter with one handed bastard sword does 1d10+4.

A str 18 fighter with two one handed bastard swords, two weapon fighting, and oversized two weapon fighting does 1d10+4 and 1d10+2. Also, this two weapon fighting character takes penalties to hit compared to the Greatsword fighter. Also, they have to enchant TWO weapons rather than one, so their weapons are likely going to end up being worse...

Er, that math included a Power Attack for -3, +6, which with Weapon Focus means the same attack bonus as the TWFer...

I'm not sure what I got wrong on the TWFer math. 1d10+4+1d10+2=2d10+6.

I also acknowledged the masterwork/magic thing.

Metahuman1
2012-05-17, 04:14 PM
If you want to make a good TWF character, a swift hunter with a one level dip in Cleric for travel devotion + Turn undead and either a one level dip in Spirit Lion totem Barbarian or access to Spinxe Claws Soul Meld for pounce.

Charge in, getting a +2 that off sets the -2 from twf, and movement gains them skirmish on all the attacks they make. Then Full attack with all those extra attacks form twf that get extra damage from Skirmish. Then use travel devotion to swift action move away from your opponent and make him have to come to you to attack you on his turn, or if he doesn't elect to do that, setting you up to do the same thing next round, starting form the charge.

Metahuman1
2012-05-17, 04:24 PM
Edit: Please disregard double post, it was not intentional. I hit a service error when I tried to put up the first post, and it did it when I hit the refresh button.

Gavinfoxx
2012-05-17, 04:29 PM
Okay, let's do a level 3 character with full bab, power attacking in those scenarios. One full bab l3 character with 18 str and power attack, one full bab l3 character with 18 str, power attack, two weapon fighting, oversized two weapon fighting, and exotic weapon proficiency bastard sword.

+1 Greatsword:

To hit: +4 str, +1 enhancement, +3 bab, -3 power attackfor +5

Damage: +6 str, +1 enhancement, +6 power attack

2d6+13.

avg 20

So +5/2d6+13

Compare to two weapon fighting with two +1 bastard sword:

To Hit #1: +4 str, +1 enhancement, +3 bab, -3 power attack, -2 two weapon fighting

Damage: +4 str +1 enhancement +3 power attack

For: +3/1d10+8

avg 13.5

To Hit #2: +4 str, +1 enhancement, +3 bab, -3 power attack, -2 two weapon fighting

Damage: +2 str, +1 enhancement, +3 power attack

For: +3/1d10+6.

avg 11.5

Result: Pay three more feats, an extra 2000 gp, for two attacks that are at a lower to hit, which are less likely to overcome damage reduction, and IF they both hit a target without DR, might deal more total damage. However, the two handed fighting character could have spent even just one feat to dramatically multiply damage well above and beyond the two weapon fighting character on a charge, for example. Further, the two weapon fighting character is locked in to basically standing still, rather than being mobile. This is an extremely, extremely heavy investment for little to no benefit.

Togo
2012-05-17, 07:05 PM
Rogue, two weapon fighting, dual weild hand crossbows. That was good fun.

I also quite enjoyed the wis 6 half-orc monk. Strong, fast, actually quite effective, all the grace and elegence of a bull in a suit. Couldn't understand why the other monks didn't respect him.