PDA

View Full Version : Her True Form (Pathfinder Summoner Spell, PEACH)

NeoSeraphi
2012-05-17, 10:02 AM
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f75/Ancient_Death/anime/lion.jpg

Background:
Leon Hartnet is a half-elf summoner who is researching the true nature of eidolons and the plane they come from. He believes that because his eidolon is a sentient creature capable of speech and emotion that she is not truly a magical beast or an animal, but rather a humanoid outsider capable of changing her form unconsciously in order to protect her summoner. Leon claims that the fact that the eidolon's form is so easily changed based on the will of the summoner supports this theory.

Leon's research (which mostly involves questioning eidolons and comparing his notes with that of summoners who have conducted similar research on summoned creatures) has led him to believe that each eidolon has a "true" self buried beneath the outer shell that is formed with a combination of the summoner's design and the eidolon's power. His ultimate goal is to perfect a magical technique that would allow him and other summoners to call their eidolons in their true form and then have the eidolon change shape only when it was necessary to protect her summoner. This would be done both for the comfort of the eidolon and for the ease of others (two elves walking around a city would not cause nearly as much panic as one elf and his giant mythical serpent companion).

Leon's Imperfect Eidolon Transformation
Transmutation (Polymorph)
Level: Summoner 1
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Components: V, S
Range: Touch
Target: One eidolon touched
Duration: 1 hour per level (D); See Text
Saving Throw: Fortitude Negates (Harmless)
SR: Yes (Harmless)

This spell allows an eidolon to shed its outer armor and transform into its "true" self while on the Material Plane (or any plane other than its home plane). This magic requires a strong bond between the eidolon and the caster, and does not work against an eidolon that has not been called by the caster (in other words, the summoner cannot use this spell on any eidolon other than his own). If the eidolon is unwilling, it may make a Fortitude save to resist the spell with a +10 bonus, due to how incredibly difficult it is to cast this spell if the two are not of one mind.

When the spell is cast successfully, the eidolon's shape changes. It loses all of its evolutions and transforms into a shape that it identifies as its "true" self (unlike most transmutation spells, the subject determines the form it will take, not the caster). This form may be any Small or Medium humanoid creature, but the form is chosen the very first time the spell is cast on the Eidolon, and may not be changed.

The eidolon retains all of its physical and mental ability scores (though it loses all Ability Score Increase evolutions and the Large/Huge evolution if it has it, but it retains all ability score increases from increased hit dice/summoner progression), as well as its hit points, alignment, base attack bonus, base save bonuses, and etc. It loses all natural attacks, spell-like abilities, supernatural abilities, and other powers that it gained from its evolutions, and its base natural armor bonus becomes +0.

The eidolon's type and subtypes remain the same (Outsider, Extraplanar), and it does not gain any traits associated with the chosen humanoid form (an eidolon who transforms into a figure resembling an elf does not gain any traits associated with being an elf).

The eidolon appears wearing a set of clothes chosen when the spell is first cast, though the eidolon may hold and possess other outfits and may change clothes if it wishes as a normal humanoid can.

The eidolon's natural form gains many of the powers an outsider normally possesses, including proficiency with all simple and martial weapons, with light and medium armor, and with shields (but not tower shields). Just like all extraplanar outsiders, an eidolon in its true form does not need to eat, sleep or breathe.

If an eidolon possesses a feat that it would qualify for in its eidolon form but not in its true form (such as Improved Natural Attack), it does not receive the benefits of that feat for the duration of the spell, but the feat returns when the eidolon returns to its mythical form.

For the duration of this spell, the glowing symbols on the foreheads of both the eidolon and the summoner bound to it disappear. This is an exception to the normal rule that these glowing symbols may not be hidden through transformation magic.

This spell is unique in that the subject has control over both the transformation and the duration of the spell. Through sheer force of will, generally in order to protect something precious to it, an eidolon affected by this spell can shatter the transformation and return to its mythical form. By spending a standard action, the eidolon affected by this spell can automatically dispel it, transforming into her mythical form in an instant and regaining all of her original abilities and evolutions associated with it.

Leon's Perfect Eidolon Transformation
Transmutation (Polymorph)
Level: Summoner 3

This spell functions exactly like Leon's imperfect eidolon transformation, except that the eidolon, while in its true form, retains some of its evolutions and powers, but only if its true form still meets the prerequisites for the evolution. For instance, if the humanoid form the eidolon assumes has hands, it may retain its use of the Claws evolution. The same is true for the Basic Magic, Bite, Climb, Improved Damage, Low-Light Vision, Magic Attacks, Scent, Skilled, Slam, Unnatural Aura, Ability Increase, Channel Resistance, Grab, Keen Scent, Rend, Tremorsense, Undead Appearance, Blindsense, Damage Reduction, See in Darkness, Blindsight, Breath Weapon, Dimension Door, Fast Healing, Frightful Presence, Spell Resistance, and Ultimate Magic.

Cieyrin
2012-05-17, 10:42 AM
It sounds very similar to what I'm doing with my Summoner/Eidolon, in that it's' a Humanoid type with Skilled(Disguise) to look like a half-elf, specifically to look like my summoner so that they look like twins. It helps that we both wear masks and use the same weapons.

My thought on this is that for how much you give up for the facade, it's rather short duration. I think you could probably make it last an hour/level without inflating its power while making it actually last long enough that you could use it in town without causing a panic, though you'd probably want to invest in a Lesser Metamagic Rod of Extend regardless to keep it going. Also a Runestone of Power (1st) but that's just my personal feeling on it.

NeoSeraphi
2012-05-17, 10:44 AM
It sounds very similar to what I'm doing with my Summoner/Eidolon, in that it's' a Humanoid type with Skilled(Disguise) to look like a half-elf, specifically to look like my summoner so that they look like twins. It helps that we both wear masks and use the same weapons.

My thought on this is that for how much you give up for the facade, it's rather short duration. I think you could probably make it last an hour/level without inflating its power while making it actually last long enough that you could use it in town without causing a panic, though you'd probably want to invest in a Lesser Metamagic Rod of Extend regardless to keep it going. Also a Runestone of Power (1st) but that's just my personal feeling on it.

Hmm...that's true. Okay then I'll change the duration.

Edit: Changed the duration to 1 hour per level, and also changed it to allow the eidolon to use its own action to dispel the effect, essentially granting it full control over the transformation.

Cieyrin
2012-05-17, 11:02 AM
Hmm...that's true. Okay then I'll change the duration.

Edit: Changed the duration to 1 hour per level, and also changed it to allow the eidolon to use its own action to dispel the effect, essentially granting it full control over the transformation.

Ooo, good idea. That is a good point, as well.

NeoSeraphi
2012-05-17, 11:17 AM
Ooo, good idea. That is a good point, as well.

Ah, thank you. :smallsmile:

NeoSeraphi
2012-05-17, 07:56 PM
Alright, updated with a perfected version at level 3 that is a little more combat-friendly and actually allows the eidolon to retain some of the evolutions that it would make sense for it to retain (like Skilled, Magic and Low-Light Vision).

Larkas
2012-05-17, 08:43 PM
I really liked these. Just one thing: the assumption behind this spell is that the eidolon is the summoner's protector, and will go to great lengths to defend it's master, right? Then I think that an immediate action to dispel the effect might be what this spell needs. I can totally see a polymorphed eidolon reacting before an attack can land on his master, blocking it by his sheer original size.

That might, or might not, make the second spell useless, though.

On a side note, I always imagined the eidolon as a spirit, maybe some exemplary outsider, an elemental or even an ancestral ghost. Don't know if that resonates with you, but if it does, you might want to allow more forms. Maybe animals?

NeoSeraphi
2012-05-17, 08:57 PM
I really liked these. Just one thing: the assumption behind this spell is that the eidolon is the summoner's protector, and will go to great lengths to defend it's master, right? Then I think that an immediate action to dispel the effect might be what this spell needs. I can totally see a polymorphed eidolon reacting before an attack can land on his master, blocking it by his sheer original size.

That might, or might not, make the second spell useless, though.

That's too powerful for a 1st level spell, in my opinion. I chose a standard action because that's how, in 3.5, shapeshifters can return to their true form if they are affected by a transmutation spell. A standard action is a heavy investment, but it's a pretty even trade. An immediate action, for a creature that cannot have class levels and therefore will never have a different use for its immediate actions, is just too strong.

On a side note, I always imagined the eidolon as a spirit, maybe some exemplary outsider, an elemental or even an ancestral ghost. Don't know if that resonates with you, but if it does, you might want to allow more forms. Maybe animals?

Two of the three types of eidolons (Quadruped and Serpentine) are largely animalistic, with a few exceptions (such as lamias, centaurs, and chimeras). Only bipeds are ever creatures like ghosts, angels, devils, etc. So that's why I figured the "true" form would be more like a humanoid creature.

Anyway, every (polymorph) spell in Pathfinder has very narrow restrictions on what forms you can turn into, and only allows for more choices at higher levels. So a 1st level (polymorph) spell should only allow you to choose from one type of creature (I mean, beast shape I only lets you choose from animals, and it's a 3rd level spell).

I appreciate your comments though. But this spell is supposed to be balanced against 1st level spells like disguise self and cure light wounds, and it's already pretty good because of the long duration.

Larkas
2012-05-17, 09:14 PM
Aw, shoot, of course you're right. I totally missed the part of this being a 1st level spell, and didn't really think about the implications of this being a Pathfinder polymorph spell. This is perfectly fine as it is then.

Let me just add a piece of advice that can actually be useful then: Do you think it would be reasonable for the spell to give a +10 to Disguise checks to pass off as a member of the chosen form's race? The eidolon could never impersonate anyone, of course, but this might come into play and be relevant.

NeoSeraphi
2012-05-17, 09:18 PM
Aw, shoot, of course you're right. I totally missed the part of this being a 1st level spell, and didn't really think about the implications of this being a Pathfinder polymorph spell. This is perfectly fine as it is then.

No big deal. It's pretty wordy, not surprised you missed the level. :smalltongue:

Let me just add a piece of advice that can actually be useful then: Do you think it would be reasonable for the spell to give a +10 to Disguise checks to pass off as a member of the chosen form's race? The eidolon could never impersonate anyone, of course, but this might come into play and be relevant.

I agree completely, though I already did that. It's part of the (polymorph) subschool. Here, from the PFSRD:

Polymorph: a polymorph spell transforms your physical body to take on the shape of another creature. While these spells make you appear to be the creature, granting you a +10 bonus on Disguise skill checks, they do not grant you all of the abilities and powers of the creature.

Emphasis mine. Source (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic#TOC-Transmutation-Polymorph).

Larkas
2012-05-18, 07:17 AM
Would you look at that... :smallfrown: Well, no matter how I try, I can't really add anything, so I can only say that I really, really liked this. Thanks for the spell and the enlightening ruling! :smallsmile:

On my defense, though, Disguise Self (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/disguiseSelf.html#_disguise-self) is verbose on this and declares this explicitly, but don't worry with that; as you pointed out, it's not necessary.

NeoSeraphi
2012-05-18, 09:10 AM
Would you look at that... :smallfrown: Well, no matter how I try, I can't really add anything, so I can only say that I really, really liked this. Thanks for the spell and the enlightening ruling! :smallsmile:

On my defense, though, Disguise Self (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/disguiseSelf.html#_disguise-self) is verbose on this and declares this explicitly, but don't worry with that; as you pointed out, it's not necessary.

That would be because Disguise Self is not a (polymorph) spell, if you look closely at the link you just provided, you would see it's an Illusion (Glamer) spell instead. :smallsmile:

I appreciate your help though!

NeoSeraphi
2012-05-22, 10:31 PM
Update. I added a line of text that hides the glowing symbols on the foreheads' of both the eidolon and the summoner for the duration of the spell, in order to help the blending in aspect.

Cieyrin
2012-05-23, 03:32 PM
Update. I added a line of text that hides the glowing symbols on the foreheads' of both the eidolon and the summoner for the duration of the spell, in order to help the blending in aspect.

So, we're ignoring this line?

While this rune can be hidden through mundane means, it cannot be concealed through magic that changes appearance, such as alter self or polymorph.

I'd perhaps add a note saying that it's an exception to the general rule, just to cover that bit or maybe add an expensive focus to physically cover the rune or change its location.

NeoSeraphi
2012-05-23, 03:41 PM
So, we're ignoring this line?

I'd perhaps add a note saying that it's an exception to the general rule, just to cover that bit or maybe add an expensive focus to physically cover the rune or change its location.

Yes, we are ignoring that rule. :smallbiggrin:

I'll mention that it's an exception to the general rule.

King Tius
2012-05-23, 03:48 PM
Ooh, I forgot that line was there. Why not just wear a bandanna?

NeoSeraphi
2012-05-23, 03:51 PM
Ooh, I forgot that line was there. Why not just wear a bandanna?

Because that wouldn't hide Leon's as well. This spell takes away a whole lot of power (basically everything that makes an Eidolon a class feature) and gives almost nothing back in return. So a small override to help accomplish its actual goal (hiding the eidolon) should be allowed, yes?

King Tius
2012-05-24, 07:21 AM
Yeah it's fine