PDA

View Full Version : Need a level 40 decked out in magic

dantiesilva
2012-05-17, 10:45 AM
I need help equipping a gestalt level 40 character I made. He is a rogue 19,Shadowbane Inquister 10 Blackguard 20/Dread necromancer 20/Ranger 5/Dead witch 5.

He is a Ruler of an undead kingdom who has hordes of undead underlings, and a dragon mount that gets bonuses from Blackguard and ranger that not only stack but also add +4 levels to get the benefits.

Please help me equip him for battle, Money is just about limitless so have fun.

dantiesilva
2012-05-17, 11:47 AM
Any one? Anyone at all?

NM020110
2012-05-17, 11:54 AM
Hmmm...it looks like there's a level missing in there...

For items, just find ones that complement your strengths and remove your weaknesses. A cowl of warding will give you freedom of movement, mind blank, and spell turning(6 levels per day), and so makes for a strong investment defensively. A ring of solar flight will give a 150'/perfect flight, allowing for quite a bit more maneuverability, and prevent you from being knocked off your dragon.

Beyond that...see about getting a mythal to turn off epic magic, and possibly a custom item to grant unholy toughness.

Sorry I can't help you more, but at such a high level combat tends to be rather imbalanced. Combatants tend not to be on the same plane, for one...

dantiesilva
2012-05-17, 12:12 PM
Any suggestions For armor or swords?

VGLordR2
2012-05-17, 12:45 PM
A Ring of Three Wishes should be all you need. At your level, it probably won't even be particularly game-breaking.

Telonius
2012-05-17, 01:11 PM
Rogue 19,Shadowbane Inquister 10 Blackguard 20/Dread necromancer 20/Ranger 5/Dead witch 5.

I think you mean Rogue10/Shadowbane Inquisitor10/Blackguard 20//Dread Necro20/Ranger5/Dread Witch5 ...?

Armor is going to be hard to figure unless we know what his Dex modifier is. If it's high enough (i.e. over +8) then he'll need Bracers of Armor rather than Padded, to maximize his AC bonus.

At level 40, weapons have stopped mattering too terribly much. It's more a matter of who has the bigger Wizard. (Epic Spellcasting is pretty much a required feat for you). Thematically, an Unholy Despoiler would probably work, but that's really up to you.

As for other items ... Ring of Universal Energy Immunity is a nice one.

Hawk7915
2012-05-17, 05:23 PM
If your dex bonus is < 6, I'd recommend the following armor set-up:

Mithral Breastplate +X with...
- Full Fortification (SRD)
- Roaring (MIC)
- Greater Agility (MIC)
- Crystal of either Greater Mind Cloaking or Greater Lifekeeping (both MIC), depending on whether you fear Death or Mind-affecting spells more.

You end up with a solid AC, full speed, no spell failure, max dex 5, immunity to critical hits and sneak attacks (that's the big thing), a +4 competence bonus on initiative, the thematically awesome ability to reflect mundane arrows, and some miscellaneous saving throw bonuses and rerolls. This can be had for as low as ~120,000, if you keep it at +2. After that it becomes an epic item, and the price sky-rockets...but if you have millions of gold to burn, why not make it a +5 or +6 Breastplate?

I fully support the idea of a Unholy Despoiler as your weapon of choice :). You might get more damage out of a +5 Keen Unholy Magebane Collision Speed Adamantine weapon, but the Despoiler is just too cool. Besides, as noted, you're unlikely to even be making attack rolls at this level.

For Belt, I can't recommend a Belt of Battle (MIC) enough. Extra actions are absolutely crucial. As per Magic Item Compendium, you can make this a Belt of Giant's Strength +6 or +8 as well, if you wish.

Most rings have been mentioned here. Universal Energy Immunity, Death Ward, Freedom of Movement, and Wishes are all really good. If for whatever reason those don't float your boat, consider Ineffable Evil (permanent Unholy Aura) or a Ring of Nine Lives (automatically heal if dropped to negatives, or automatically succeed on a failed save).

I'll list more ideas later, but the big thing is to build up as much immunity and action advantage as possible through your magic items, to ensure you can cast your epic spells or make your quadrillion damage attacks.

Suddo
2012-05-17, 05:45 PM
Assuming you're Lich you won't need Fortifaction and you won't need some of the mind affecting stuff most need.

Here's a list of things you'll want (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187851)

After that it matters what you want to do.
I don't particularly know how much gold you have at your dispossale. But one thing I'd try and do is not get too many Epic things sense a lot of those simply have a couple of zeros slapped onto them.
You'll probably want to look at this page (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm). I often like to add a slew of continous effects on my character. Divine Power is a good one (BAB = Character Level) and there are slews of others, just look up what buffs to persist 3.5 in google.

dantiesilva
2012-05-17, 10:41 PM
@Telonius

How does this =40?
Rogue10/Shadowbane Inquisitor10/Blackguard 20//Dread Necro20/Ranger5/Dread Witch5
Rog1/Pal1
Rog2/Pal2
Rog3/Pal3
Rog4/Pal4
Rog5/Pal5
Rog6/Pal5/SBI1
Rog7/Pal6/SBI1
Rog8/Pal6/SBI2
Rog9/Pal6/SBI3
Rog10/Pal6/SBI4
Rog11/Pal6/SBI5
Rog12/Pal6/SBI6
Rog13/Pal6/SBI7
Rog14/Pal6/SBI8
Rog15/Pal6/SBI9
Rog16/Pal6/SBI10 That is 16 levels
Rog17/Blackguard7/SBI10
Rog18/BG8/SBI10
Rog19/BG9/SBI10
Rog19/BG10/SBI10/DN1 That is 20
Rog19/BG10/SBI10/DN2/Ran1
Rog19/BG10/SBI10/DN3/Ran2
Rog19/BG10/SBI10/DN4/Ran3
Rog19/BG10/SBI10/DN5/Rang4
Rog19/BG10/SBI10/DN6/Ran5 That is level 25
Rog19/BG10/SBI10/DN7/Ran5/DW1
Rog19/BG10/SBI10/DN8/Ran5/DW2
Rog19/BG10/SBI10/DN9/Ran5/DW3
Rog19/BG10/SBI10/DN10/Ran5/DW4
Rog19/BG10/SBU10/DN11/Ran5/DW5 That is level 30
Rog19/BG11/SBI10/DN12/Ran5/DW5
Rog19/BG12/SBI10/DN13/Ran5/DW5
Rog19/BG13/SBI10/DN14/Ran5/DW5
Rog19/BG14/SBI10/DN15/Ran5/DW5
Rog19/BG15/SBI10/DN16/Ran5/DW5 That is level35
Rog 19/BG16/SBI10/DN17/Ran5/DW5
Rog19/BG17/SBI10/DN18/Ran5/DW5
Rog19/BG18/SBI10/DN19/Ran5/DW5
Rog19/BG19/SBI10/DN20/Ran5/DW5
Rog19/BG20/SBI10/DN20/Ran6/DW5 That is 40 levels

Suddo
2012-05-17, 11:14 PM
Rog19/BG20/SBI10/DN20/Ran6/DW5 That is 40 levels

Your original post said Ranger 5.

Telonius
2012-05-18, 10:01 AM
Inquisitor10/Blackguard 20//Dread Necro20/Ranger5/Dread Witch5 ...?

It doesn't add up to 40, that's why I put the "...?" in there. Considering the other typos, I thought the 9 might have been one as well.

It really helps the other posters if you use the usual gestalt notation. When you're talking about a gestalt character, you usually put one side of the gestalt first, then two slashes, then the other side. Otherwise it's just a big mishmash and you can't tell how high your BAB or saves are going to be.

Your character would be:

Rogue19/Dread Necromancer20/Ranger1//Blackguard20/Shadowbane Inquisitor10/Ranger5/Dread Witch5

This shows a problem. You have levels of Ranger on both sides of the Gestalt. That's normally not allowed.

There's also a *big* problem in the progression you've listed - you've traded your Paladin levels for Blackguard at level 17. The problem is that characters only get to trade Paladin levels for Blackguard levels if the character has 11 or more levels in Fallen Paladin. At that point, your character only has 7 Fallen Paladin levels. The highest number of Blackguard levels you can get, pre-Epic, is 10.

If you're going to Fall like that, usually the best thing to do is go Paladin10->Shadowbane Inquisitor10 -> one more level of Paladin (at level 21). Then, Blackguard at 22, and turn in all 11 of your Paladin levels for Blackguard. Otherwise, you'll be stuck with one level of Fallen Paladin you can't get rid of.

Unfortunately, there is a big problem with that approach. On the other side of the Gestalt, you've started taking Dread Necromancer (which requires nongood alignment) at level 20. So either you have to "Fall" at level 20, in which case you'll be stuck with a level of Fallen Paladin you can't get rid of and only nine levels of Shadowbane Inquisitor; or you need to delay taking Dread Necromancer for a couple of levels, in which case you're losing caster levels.

dantiesilva
2012-05-18, 12:14 PM
Shadowbane inqusiter and paladin stack for the black guard, thus I have 16. I trade in the 6 paladin that makes a 7 blackguard.

Read page 70 of CAdv. under fallen Inquisters 1st paragraph.

So thus I fall at level 15, turn all 6 levels I had into blackguard, because of true conviction I keep all Inquister abilities even when evil. Making me a 7th level blackguard with all the abilities of a 10th level fallen paladin added on from shadowbane inquister.

Dread Necromance comes in when blackguard meets level 10? So I'm really confused by what you are saying. If you are saying get rid of Inquister levels your crazy. 4d6 damage every turn to everything within 60ft. of me. Bonuses to Hide, move silently, and a few other kills I believe, and all the bonuses to smite sneak attack, undead componaion and attack/damage bonuses it gives that would just be stupid to trade for what 3 bonus epic feats and having your smite and sneak attack greatly weakened. On my build it deals 20d6+40 damage for a smiting sneak attack that dazes. So anywhere between 60 to 160 damage a hit. Add in the 4d6 which is anywhere from 4 to 24 damage. Now Improved aura of despair for -4 on all their saves. Then you got your actual weapon damage with modifiers to it from ranger and Inquister. You are just about 1 hitting everything you attack. Thats not even going into feats, Str/ or Dex modifier, All the aura's they have to get by to get within range of you even with a bow without taken penalties.

Telonius
2012-05-18, 02:24 PM
Ah, missed that bit. (Working away from my books, with an old CrystalKeep file at the moment...) If the classes didn't stack, you'd have needed to do some fancy rearranging, but as is, it's okay then.

Ranger on both sides of the Gestalt is still a problem, though. All that last level gets you is a feat that only works when you're wearing light armor. Some other class with front-loaded features could be substituted for it (Binder, maybe, for Naberius? Cleric, for a Domain? ... Master of Masks, for proficiency in everything?)

Thump
2012-05-18, 04:32 PM
I need help equipping a gestalt level 40 character I made. He is a rogue 19,Shadowbane Inquister 10 Blackguard 20/Dread necromancer 20/Ranger 5/Dead witch 5.

He is a Ruler of an undead kingdom who has hordes of undead underlings, and a dragon mount that gets bonuses from Blackguard and ranger that not only stack but also add +4 levels to get the benefits.

Please help me equip him for battle, Money is just about limitless so have fun.

Probably two stupid questions.

A: What does gestalt mean?

B: That's 79 PC class levels, not 40. Why so many levels?

White_Drake
2012-05-18, 10:50 PM
Gestalt means leveling in two separate classes simultaneously, hence the 79 levels (although it should have been 80 (typo)).

dantiesilva
2012-05-19, 11:51 AM
Yea when that was pointed out I thought about that and decided that Crusader paladin of tyranny or cleric would be better served. Then again If I take one more blackguard I get another smite, sneak attack and feat.