PDA

View Full Version : Prestige Paladin and Paladin spells.

etrpgb
2012-05-17, 11:04 AM
I was wondering, how do you treat this case?

As far as I can tell the RAW states that in a world with only Prestige Paladins the Paladins spells do not exist at all.

But if you were the DM how would do it? Do not think about something insane, just something normal like Cleric/Prestige Paladin or Shugenja/Sacred Exorcist/Prestige Paladin...

grarrrg
2012-05-17, 11:52 AM
I was wondering, how do you treat this case?

As far as I can tell the RAW states that in a world with only Prestige Paladins the Paladins spells do not exist at all.

But if you were the DM how would do it? Do not think about something insane, just something normal like Cleric/Prestige Paladin or Shugenja/Sacred Exorcist/Prestige Paladin...

Add Paladin spells to current casting list based on level investment in PrC Paladin. About 1 spell level per "+1 level casting" gained from PrC-Pal should be good enough.
For example a if you had 4 levels of Cleric and 1 of Prc-Pal, you can cast 3rd level Cleric spells, but you'd only have access to 1st level Paladin-List spells. So in order to get access to 4th level Paladin spells you'd need 7 levels of PrC-Paladin. This would give some incentive to stay in the class longer than "I have Divine Grace/Mount, BYE!".

Possibly have the first +Casting be a "no-pally" level to further encourage investment in the class.
1st level PrC Paladin, no extra spells
3rd level, 1st level Paladin spells added
5th level, 2nd level Paladin spells added
9th level PrC Paladin, 4th level Paladin spells added

etrpgb
2012-05-17, 03:40 PM
Nice idea, I will probably augment the list progressively.

1 level, add the first level spells;
2 level, add the second level spells;
3 level, add the third level spells;
4 level, add the fourth level spells.

So to get all spells you need at least 4 levels.

Aeryr
2012-05-17, 03:48 PM
By raw they get the spells.

The bard, paladin, and ranger spell lists in the Player’s Handbook (as well as similar lists in other books) contain a number of spells that don’t appear on other classes’ spell lists. In general, any character who enters one of these prestige classes should gain access to spells unique to that class’s spell list from the Player’s Handbook, at the same levels indicated for the standard class.

etrpgb
2012-05-17, 04:00 PM
Oh, cool. Thanks. Then no problems.

Then the...
Kobold Child of Eberron
Warmage 7/Rainbow Servant 10/Prestige Paladin 3

Actually works... wow. Spontaneous with Druid, Cleric, Paladin spells list.

eggs
2012-05-17, 09:58 PM
Needs more questionable Archivist+Wizard+Versatile Spellcaster hijinks!

grarrrg
2012-05-17, 10:07 PM
By raw they get the spells.

Pfft. Yeah, sure. If you want to actually READ that's your problem...

hex0
2012-05-20, 08:08 PM
I thought the bigger rules problem was with Battle Blessing?

Lateral
2012-05-20, 11:19 PM
I thought the bigger rules problem was with Battle Blessing?
Yeah, that's another thing. It doesn't work RAW, but if you can get your DM to accept it, then all of your spells are quickened forever. Your DM... won't accept it, or will limit it to spells on the Paladin list, if he has half a brain.

Flickerdart
2012-05-21, 02:37 AM
Battle Blessing auto-quickens Paladin spells. It does not do anything to, say, Cleric spells cast by a Prestige Paladin. At best, you get quickened Paladin spells. At worst, you get nothing because the spells are all treated as off whatever list you have.

etrpgb
2012-05-21, 04:12 PM
By Raw it works with Paladin spells, the Prestige Paladin has no spellcasting ability of its own, so it cannot apply there.

It necessarily applies to the Paladin list that you get.
f you are a Cleric/Prestige Paladin the spells that are from the Paladin list (cast at the correct level if the spells appears in multiple lists) receive the effect of the feat. It is both RAW and RAI (or RACSD how it seems fad saying nowadays...)

I quote: ``You can cast most of your paladin spells faster than normal''