PDA

View Full Version : (PF) Inquisitor

Duncan_Ruadrik
2012-05-17, 12:17 PM
Created this build about a year ago, just after the APG came out. Wondering if this can be made any better, or something. Had fun with my mate, he played a ranged Paladin, while i played this Inquisitor.

20 point buy, Human Inquisitor 12

STR 14
DEX 15 (17)
CON 13
INT 12
WIS 14
CHA 8

1 Point Blank Shot
1 Rapid Shot
3 Precise Shot
5 Deadly Aim
7 Weapon Focus:Longbow
9 Manyshot
11 Extra Bane??

Teamwork Feats
3 Duck and Cover
6 Swap Places
9 Target of Opportunity???
12 Lookout???

Domain: Travel

I only played this character up until level 8, so all the feat choices after that point are pulled out of the PFSRD in the last ten minutes.

Basically, I ran around with a spiked gauntlet, shortsword, buckler, and composite Longbow. I bought a mithril breastplate as soon as I could afford it. I put every point into DEX, and invested in a Belt of STR, as high as I could afford.

First thing I bought though was a rod of extend, lesser. every morning, I would cast Magic Vestment on my buckler and armor, and Greater Magic Weapon on my bow. A couple pearls of power help in that regard as well.

In combat I would use the Justice Judgement, for +1 to hit, +1/ 5 levels. at level 8 when I could use two Judgements at once, I would use the Destruction Judgement as well for extra damage, +1, +1/3 levels.

by level 8, not including magic enhancements, I was doing 1d8+2(STR) +3(Judgement)+2d6+2(Bane)+4(Deadly Aim)+2(Magic Vestment). 1d8+2d6+13 damage/arrow. My BAB would be +12/+12/+7, including rapid shot, deadly aim, Bane, and Judgement.

by level 12 damage would be 1d8+2d6+18, and I would have Manyshot as well.

IS this build still good, or does it need a brush up?

thanks guys!

RndmNumGen
2012-05-17, 02:59 PM
It's not bad, certainly. I would change the following though:

- Take the Preacher archetype to trade out the Solo Tactics and the Teamwork Feats for the Determination ability. While neat, there aren't any real good TW feats for ranged inquisitors aside from Target of Opportunity, but I've found that only comes up in actual play very rarely.

- Consider cutting STR to 12 and Con to 10, then raising Dex to 19. You're very unlikely to be hit in combat as an archer-inquisitor, and having a better accuracy and initiative will probably serve you better than +1 damage.

- Get Judgement Surge instead of Weapon Focus. That will allow you to use Judgement an extra time per day, and increase the power of it when you do use it.

- If you can afford it, and don't have a Bard in the party, buy some Bracers of Archery.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2012-05-17, 11:54 PM
STR 12, sure, but CON 10?? ooh, no. can't sorry, haha. too paranoid. Lowest CON I will roll with is 12.

the rest of your advice is quite sound though, I will be looking into that after I get back from work. Thanks!

deuxhero
2012-05-18, 01:27 AM
You could dip cleric 1 at level 1 and pick up Guided Hand to remove any need for dex beyond 13, plus you can grab a second domain.

MukkTB
2012-05-18, 05:21 AM
The cleric thing is nice - but I'd stick straight inquisitor. Bane is really really nice. And yeah, consider trading out your teamwork feats for something. They don't really help for ranged combat so much.

Blisstake
2012-05-18, 06:32 AM
There aren't really many good teamwork feats for ranged attackers. The only one I can think of (which seems to be made entirely for ranged inquisitors) is Enfilading Fire. Consider taking an archetype that swaps these out.

I'd consider swapping Deadly Aim for something else. It isn't a bad feat for full BAB ranged attackers (especially fighters), but as an inquisitor, you have a suite of bonuses to damage (judgement, bane, and divine buffs) that get added to every attack. Therefore, you want as many attacks with as high of a bonus to hit as possible. When your level is high enough, consider taking Clustered Shots (level 11), then Improved Critical (level 13). Your least feats can be pretty much anything, but I'm partial to Snap Shot, Improved Snap Shot, and Combat Reflexes as the last three.

Keep in mind that this build doesn't really pick up until level 5. Then again, that's true for nearly every inquisitor.

The problem with taking a level of cleric is that it delays your BAB, bane, and judgements, but also takes up two feats (Channel Smite leading into Guided Hand). Ranged attackers are feat starved enough as it is.