PDA

View Full Version : Communication in Wildshape [3.5]

Yoven
2012-05-17, 12:55 PM
I want my druid to stay in Wildshape for most of the day and need help to find Items that allow me to communicate with my Party whilst in Wildshape.

I'm looking for items, persistant Spells or other stuff that lets me talk/telepatically communicate for aminimal price

As we are playing mostly with core Books, Stuff from the 3 Core Books, maybe Magic Item Comp. or the complete series would be best.

Thanks

Bronk
2012-05-17, 01:09 PM
The Pearl of Speech from the Magic Item Compendium might be what you're looking for then. You activate it by putting it on your tongue (so you don't have to hold it) and it allows you to speak the language contained within, so if you acquired one for 'common' or some other language you all know your character would be all set. It is also continuous...

Kaje
2012-05-17, 03:04 PM
Could take a single level of Master of Many Forms.

TuggyNE
2012-05-17, 03:54 PM
Could take a single level of Master of Many Forms.

I have to second pearl of speech here; 600 gp (IIRC) for a slotless item is vastly cheaper than an entire character level.

As far as I know, it doesn't help with verbal components, so Natural Spell is still needed. :smallwink:

Larkas
2012-05-17, 04:19 PM
I've read elsewhere that the pearl wouldn't work for druids in animal shape, since it activates on command only, and if you can't speak, you can't activate it. I don't agree with that, though, you might want to check with your DM, since it would indeed be the best choice.

Yoven
2012-05-18, 06:28 AM
can i put wilding clasps on the pearls of speech?

What i found is the helm of telepathy, together with Clasps..=20.000

or giving a medallion of thoughts to another party member

Bronk
2012-05-18, 07:32 AM
I don't think you can put a wilding clasp on a pearl of speech... it is a pearl with nothing attached to it, and when in use it dissolves into your tongue.

However, you shouldn't need one. When you wildshape, all your equipment (unless it has the wild ability or a wilding clasp on it) melds into your body and becomes nonfunctional. However, the pearl of speech is a slotless item that is already melded with your form, so should remain functional.

If your DM should rule otherwise on that for some reason, you could still activate it in your wildshaped form. Although it takes a standard action to activate, that action only entails the act of placing it on your tongue. The item description doesn't stipulate how you get it there and doesn't require a command word.

I agree that using this wouldn't allow you to cast spells without the 'Natural Spell' feat, because verbal components aren't necessarily a language. However, if you had a magic item available that had a command word, and that word happened to be in the language of the pearl, that should work.