PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Dragonborn Mongrelfolk class?

GreenSerpent
2012-05-17, 02:57 PM
Greetings Playground!

I have a request to make. I am working on a Dragonborn of Bahamut Mongrelfolk (possibly with the INT penalty waved if I ask very nicely... I hope).

What I'm looking for is a class that fits his backstory. He's quite smart, but a redeemed thief - in other words, when he wasn't Dragonborn he belonged to a family of thieves and was educated by a small-time mage that travelled with them. Howver after his parents were executed the Dragonborn prison chaplain took him out, adopted him as his "son" and began to teach him how to be a better person, culminating twenty years later in the priest offering to make him a Dragonborn.

What I'm looking for is a class combination that would show off his backstory well. Game is level 5 Stats are (I think) 8, 10, 10, 14, 16, 18. Not too shabby!

Race is NOT negotiable, but I can take the Able Learner feat if needed (they should've had it available anyway).

His primary role in the party is to be a skillmonkey. In addition I'd like him to have high (18) CON if possible, as that'll mean I don't need to reroll HP.

My current idea was Totemist (but that doesn't fit the backstory), any thoughts about that? I'd like to be powerful but not obscene.

Thanks!

Snowbluff
2012-05-17, 03:01 PM
Dragonfire Adept can be Con SAd if you get Invocations with no saves.

Crusader is great with lots of con, but they are pretty hard to kill by default anyway.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-05-17, 03:28 PM
For a skillmonkey, Factotum from Dungeonscape is probably the way to go, especially if you can get the Int penalty waived. I'd go Int 18, Con 16, Dex 14, and whatever else after that. Go with the Heart aspect of Dragonborn and take the feat Entangling Exhalation, and use that as often as possible to keep opponents debuffed. Say he bested the Iron Wyrm Vault detailed in Complete Scoundrel to get the feat Tactile Trapsmith without spending a feat on it, and Factotum will add your Int bonus back into the skills it changes. Consider taking Font of Inspiration (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070606) 3+ times, and/or get EWP: Gnome Quickrazor (RoS) and use the Iaijutsu Focus skill (OA) for extra damage, use a Wand of Grease and/or use the Hidden Blade skill trick (CS) and Flick of the Wrist (CW) to make them flat-footed to enable it.

King Atticus
2012-05-17, 05:28 PM
I 2nd Factotum. Story-wise it fits perfectly. It's very easy to make into a thief-like class with nice skills, basic sneak attack and trap-finding. It also has the ability to mimic some spells that he could have picked up from the mage. The class is all about the intelligence and even has some piety related healing to indicate his redemption (should you fluff it that way).

Rubik
2012-05-17, 07:24 PM
Don't mongrelfolk meet various racial prereqs without actually needing to be of said race? If so, go factotum as stated above, and take a 1 level dip into rogue, with the changeling rogue ACF (from Races of Eberron). It'd make perfect sense for your backstory, would give you 40+ (Int x4) skill points at first level, AND give you skill mastery on a bunch of social skills.

It's like a match made in Celestia (no, not that one).

Draz74
2012-05-17, 11:06 PM
CON-based skillmonkey? Sounds like Incarnate (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870566/Incarnate_by_the_numbers) to me!

Daftendirekt
2012-05-18, 12:29 AM
Dragon Shaman (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214007)?

killianh
2012-05-18, 12:52 AM
Factotum works well from the perspective of previously being a thief, and incarnate can work well since you would have had to do a fair bit of "soul searching" (pardon the pun) in order to decide to become dragonborn. For either build though I would have to recommend at least a 1 level dip into dragonfire adept to put that con to good use.

For your stats (if you get the INT fixed) you'll end up with +6 con, -2 dex, -4 cha so your stats (depending on the build) should be layed out like this:

Factotum 4\DFA 1: STR 10, DEX 12 (14-2) CON 22 (16+6) INT 18, WIS 10, CHA 6. The focus for a build like this would be all of the factotum skill monkey glory, plus a 1d6 breath weapon (which can have the entangle feat on it for Battlefield control) and the DFA invocations. Out of those (since you only get one) I would take either Magic insight which detects magic and identifies items freely which saves a lot of down time checking items, and allows you to use what you find right off the bat.

As for Incarnate 4\DFA 1 I would say the same thing, but I don't know all that much about making an OC incarnate.

For feats if you go with the factotum build (which I'd recommend for skill monkey) take font of inspiration as many times as you can

Flickerdart
2012-05-18, 12:59 AM
Consider a Barbarian dip somewhere along the line. Fast, resilient and multi-talented (Barbarians have more ACFs than almost everyone else, so there's always gonna be something to trade stuff for), a raging Barbarian would give you even more Constitution than normal! Levels in Fist of the Forest down the road would put the Constitution to good use and reflect his spiritual growth nicely. Steadfast Determination is also an obvious pick for a feat - representing his new devotion, it will boost his Will save dramatically.

Starbuck_II
2012-05-18, 01:21 AM
Greetings Playground!

I have a request to make. I am working on a Dragonborn of Bahamut Mongrelfolk (possibly with the INT penalty waved if I ask very nicely... I hope).

What I'm looking for is a class that fits his backstory. He's quite smart, but a redeemed thief - in other words, when he wasn't Dragonborn he belonged to a family of thieves and was educated by a small-time mage that travelled with them. Howver after his parents were executed the Dragonborn prison chaplain took him out, adopted him as his "son" and began to teach him how to be a better person, culminating twenty years later in the priest offering to make him a Dragonborn.

What I'm looking for is a class combination that would show off his backstory well. Game is level 5 Stats are (I think) 8, 10, 10, 14, 16, 18. Not too shabby!

Race is NOT negotiable, but I can take the Able Learner feat if needed (they should've had it available anyway).

His primary role in the party is to be a skillmonkey. In addition I'd like him to have high (18) CON if possible, as that'll mean I don't need to reroll HP.

My current idea was Totemist (but that doesn't fit the backstory), any thoughts about that? I'd like to be powerful but not obscene.

Thanks!

Spellthief? I mean mage + thieves sounds like Spellthief.