PDA

View Full Version : Hitting 106 CA with a stone...

etrpgb
2012-05-17, 03:21 PM
To defeat the prismatic great wyrm your party created
this:

Centaur Half Minotaur
Huge Monstrous Humanoid
Str +20, Dex +2, Cos +10, Int -4, Wis +2

The party trained him as...

1 -
2 -
3 -
4 Centaur (Power Attack)
5 Centaur
6 Centaur (Cleave)
7 Centaur
8 Barbarian
9 War Hulk (Brutal Throw)
10 War Hulk
11 War Hulk
12 War Hulk (Point Blank Shot)
13 War Hulk
14 War Hulk
15 War Hulk (Weapon Focus)
16 Hulking hurler
17 Hulking hurler
18 War Hulk (Natural Heavyweight)
19 War Hulk
20 War Hulk

Its strength is ...
18 (Base) + 20 (Race) + 3 (Levels) + 4 (Fury) + 20 (War Hulk) = 65

Spells, tomes, items... +10. Total: 75.

If it were medium sized it would carry (medium load)
533 * 4 * 4 * 4 * 4 * 4 = 545792

But it it a quadruped, and it is huge.
545792 * 6 = 3274752

The feat Natural Heavyweight means another x2...
3274752 * 2 = 6549504

So the stone it throws damages...
(max medium load)

((6549504-400)/200 + 5) d6 = 32750d6

114657 in average.

Now, when the prismatic great wyrm will arrive how
can you ensure he will hit CA 106?

(I made calculation in hurry, there might be some mistake
but the point is hitting)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-05-17, 03:36 PM
Half-Minotuar only increases your size if you're small or medium. A Half-Minotaur Centaur is Large size, not Huge.

You don't need to hit its AC, Hulking Hurler gets an ability called Area Attack. You just need an attack bonus of +60, so it takes full damage if it rolls less than 20 on its Reflex save.

Telonius
2012-05-17, 03:38 PM
Too bad you can't work 5 levels of Master Thrower in there, you could turn your Thrown Weapon attacks into Ranged Touch attacks (through Weak Spot). You wouldn't be applying your strength, but really, at that point Strength damage is just gravy. You'll still have to dispel the Scintillating Scales the dragon's (almost certainly) going to have up, but that's the Wizard's problem.

etrpgb
2012-05-17, 03:48 PM
Half-Minotuar only increases your size if you're small or medium. A Half-Minotaur Centaur is Large size, not Huge.

Really? I did not know...Thanks!
well, there is plenty of damage anyway.

You don't need to hit its AC, Hulking Hurler gets an ability called Area Attack. You just need an attack bonus of +60, so it takes full damage if it rolls less than 20 on its Reflex save.

His saving throw are +68 +41 +68... you cannot expect it to fail a 20.

Kazyan
2012-05-17, 04:29 PM
Get a single casting of Limited Wish. You can autohit with your next attack as one of the safe requests.

Randomguy
2012-05-17, 04:31 PM
I think you mean AC, not CA.

If you take the Area Attack two handed hurl trick, the dragon needs to make a reflex saving throw, instead of the hurler needing to make an attack roll, and the dragon's reflex save is much worse than it's AC.

If you make it so that the centaur's first level is in wizard (and that he has at least 12 int) (sorcerer would work too, but you don't get the bonus feat) and take the precocious apprentice feat, he'll be able to cast Wraithstrike to make his attack a touch attack, against an AC of 19. Take the ACF that swaps scribe scroll for a fighter bonus feat and see if you can use LA buyoff to get rid of a point of LA, so you can keep all your other levels.
A custom magic item of wraithstrike, if permited, would do the same thing.

That will only work if the dragon doesn't play to his intelligence score, or to your level of optimization, and doesn't cast scintilating scales every so often. Or just persist it.

You've got about +39 to hit right now.
A magic item of Divine Power (or a potion, if you can buy one from a Master Alchemist cleric) would raise your BAB from +7 to +20. (up to +52)
If you did take a level in wizard, you could cast True strike, for another +20. (up to +72).
Greater magic weapon cast on the boulder/mountain you were throwing for another +5 (up to +77)
Curse of Impending blades cast against the dragon to bring it's AC down to 104 (You could use enlarge spell to increase range and have it be cast as a supernatural ability by a dweomkeeper).
If you were lawful I'd say take Law devotion for another +7, but you can't be lawful and a barbarian. You could take chaos devotion, but that would give you a chance of getting a bonus to AC instead. If you dumped the level of barbarian for this, you'd go up to +82.
A magic item of Divine at maximum CL is another +6 (up to +83 without law devotion or +88 with it)
Enchant the boulder/mountain you're throwing to be a +1 magebane mountain, for another +2. I think this stacks with greater magic weapon, if it doesn't use a +5 magebane boulder. against the dragon (total +85 without law devotion or +90 with it).

(I'm assuming you've got some spellcaster support to buff the centaur)

If the dragon is played to maximum capcity, then this whole strategy is basically doomed, since you're really up against a level 38 sorcerer. The whole "dragon" thing is just a bonus. Even if you could "hit", you need to be able to foil wings of cover, mirror image, blur, blink, greater blur, greater blink, or invisibility.

D@rK-SePHiRoTH-
2012-05-17, 04:57 PM
His saving throw are +68 +41 +68... you cannot expect it to fail a 20.I'm afraid you misunderstood... he didn't say the difficulty class was 20, he said the dragon should have to roll a natural 20 to avoid damage. Just go and read "area attack" from the hulking hurler entry, and you will realize how this is possible.