PDA

View Full Version : He's so pedantic I want to punch him

Greyfeld85
2012-05-17, 05:51 PM
I have a player in my group who always has a comeback for everything. He always has to "fix" anything you say with technical accuracy, and instead of just answering simple yes or no questions with simple yes or no answers, he'll give you a story about why your question is slapdash and should be reconsidered.

I honestly want to punch him in his stupid face.

Have you dealt with this sort of player (or GM) before? How did you handle it?

VGLordR2
2012-05-17, 06:16 PM
Spencer? Is that you?

Joking aside, I have been almost exactly the kind of player that you described. I didn't really do it to be a jerk, I was trying to be funny and precise. I didn't even realize that I was being so annoying. After a few sessions, my DM pulled me aside to discuss it. He told me that I was taking away from everyone's gaming experience, and that no one likes a know-it-all. After that, I stopped doing it, and everything is going fine. In the case of your player, he may think almost exactly the way I did. I don't think he knows just how annoying he is. So do what my DM did to me, and he will likely stop what he's doing.

prufock
2012-05-17, 06:40 PM
If that suggestion doesn't work, I find that "OH my god shut up nobody cares" works most of the time. Interrupting each explanation with more and more nonsensical questions is good for a laugh, but probably won't do much to solve the problem.

Autopsibiofeeder
2012-05-17, 06:48 PM
Spencer? Is that you?

Joking aside, I have been almost exactly the kind of player that you described. I didn't really do it to be a jerk, I was trying to be funny and precise. I didn't even realize that I was being so annoying. After a few sessions, my DM pulled me aside to discuss it. He told me that I was taking away from everyone's gaming experience, and that no one likes a know-it-all. After that, I stopped doing it, and everything is going fine. In the case of your player, he may think almost exactly the way I did. I don't think he knows just how annoying he is. So do what my DM did to me, and he will likely stop what he's doing.

I agree. You can try to outwit and/or outsmart him, but that is going to derail the game even more. Punching him will have similar detrimental effects.

Chances are he won't be as big a sport as the poster I am quoting. He might take it personal and feel offended, but you still have to do it. Just be honest and make sure to get across that you want to improve not just your game, the game of the other players but also his game.

What also really works is just not allowing him to get under your skin. I don't know you, or your table situation, but often these things are the result of a witty 'bidding war'. Don't enter the discussion he is raising, be a firm and decided DM (I am assuming you are the DM) and keep the focus on the game.

D@rK-SePHiRoTH-
2012-05-17, 07:07 PM
I know two reasons why people are pedantic:

1- perfectionism. they really love precision and will always consider important to fix even the smallest flaw.
In this case, you may gently ask the guy to be a little more easy, because being a DM is a difficult task mistakes can happen, just tell him you are trying to do your best and he will understand

2- they are trying to look smart by pointing out other people's mistakes, because they are actually insecure and are looking for validation of their worth.
In this case the situation is more severe, depending on the maturity of the player he may or may not understand. Sometimes people like this are unable to change their attitude. Try to tell him straightforward that he does not need to demonstrate anything.

Togo
2012-05-17, 07:33 PM
I ask all players to keep corrections and technical points to the end of the game session. No matter what the point is, I will not consider it or any kind of change or correction, until the end of the session. Be pedantic about this point.

"That interesting, but I asked for such points to be raised at the end of the session. This isn't the end of the session. Yes, yes, I hear you, but this still isn't the end of the session. No, I'm not going to make a note of it, you need to raise it at the end of the session."

That will work with some people, but not others. It depends what kind of pedant you have.

danzibr
2012-05-17, 08:18 PM
I ask all players to keep corrections and technical points to the end of the game session. No matter what the point is, I will not consider it or any kind of change or correction, until the end of the session. Be pedantic about this point.

"That interesting, but I asked for such points to be raised at the end of the session. This isn't the end of the session. Yes, yes, I hear you, but this still isn't the end of the session. No, I'm not going to make a note of it, you need to raise it at the end of the session."

That will work with some people, but not others. It depends what kind of pedant you have.
I actually was going to suggest this before I read it. I would change one thing though. If its a big mistake that screws the party or the bad guys I'd ask to be called out. For instance if the BBEG is an Elf and you think he'll be paralyzed and it's long before he's supposed to die.

ericgrau
2012-05-17, 09:05 PM
It helps to look underneath the bs and focus on the point. Say "We're doing X", where X is something that everyone knows makes perfect sense and everything the person is bringing up just isn't the point. Responding to the subject of the bs implies that it makes sense, which is what you don't want to do. Focus on the main point. It's not that the bs is even wrong (though its questionability might be part of the trap) it's that it's pointless.

Saying "Nobody cares" like prufock said is one way, ya. With rules-lawyering thie issue is that it's disrupting game time over something that might be too small to be worth it.

Particle_Man
2012-05-17, 10:26 PM
I have a player in my group who always has a comeback for everything. He always has to "fix" anything you say with technical accuracy, and instead of just answering simple yes or no questions with simple yes or no answers, he'll give you a story about why your question is slapdash and should be reconsidered.

If the first letter of the first word starts in the first half of the alphabet, consider that a "yes", otherwise consider that a "no". Let him know that you will be using this as your rule for his responses. :smallbiggrin:

Andreaz
2012-05-17, 10:33 PM
Pedantry may be healthy, if moderated. I'm a pedant, and after a couple sessions I asked my group how they felt about it. They say that as long as I don't interrupt anyone's turn I'm doing fine.

These days they just turn to look at me when an obscure rule appears, and when I feel the need to fix, I just write it down and pass it to the relevant people as their turns end.

I am glad, for they bear no ill will and know I use no malice.

Worira
2012-05-17, 10:37 PM
He always has to "fix" anything you say with technical accuracy, and instead of just answering simple yes or no questions with simple yes or no answers, he'll give you a story about why your question is slapdash and should be reconsidered.

Have you stopped beating your wife yet?

Greyfeld85
2012-05-17, 10:51 PM

Only on days that end with "Y".

Worira
2012-05-17, 10:56 PM
Well played, sir.

EDIT: Wait no that still implies you used to beat her on days that end with y

Passably played, sir.

VGLordR2
2012-05-17, 11:02 PM

The correct answer is mu.

demigodus
2012-05-17, 11:24 PM
If the first letter of the first word starts in the first half of the alphabet, consider that a "yes", otherwise consider that a "no". Let him know that you will be using this as your rule for his responses. :smallbiggrin:

DM: -question-
player: Yes
DM: okay, so "no" then? Got it

Shadowknight12
2012-05-18, 12:23 AM
1- perfectionism. they really love precision and will always consider important to fix even the smallest flaw.
In this case, you may gently ask the guy to be a little more easy, because being a DM is a difficult task mistakes can happen, just tell him you are trying to do your best and he will understand

This is me, basically. If it will make you feel better, my rationale for doing so is this: I will correct you on what you're saying not because I want to make you feel bad or detract from your fun, but because I genuinely think the way you're phrasing your question is going to get you into trouble (mainly in the form of misunderstandings and wasted time, or unnecessary fights), and you could avoid those problems if you just learnt to be more precise. When I correct you, I'm trying to help you.

Having said that, it took me a while to realise that it's not the end of the world if someone isn't perfect, so a good tactic is to tell this player that you understand his good will, but that you're okay with screwing things up, and that such screw ups won't detract from the game's fun or be a big deal at all.

danzibr
2012-05-18, 06:07 AM
This is me, basically. If it will make you feel better, my rationale for doing so is this: I will correct you on what you're saying not because I want to make you feel bad or detract from your fun, but because I genuinely think the way you're phrasing your question is going to get you into trouble (mainly in the form of misunderstandings and wasted time, or unnecessary fights), and you could avoid those problems if you just learnt to be more precise. When I correct you, I'm trying to help you.

Having said that, it took me a while to realise that it's not the end of the world if someone isn't perfect, so a good tactic is to tell this player that you understand his good will, but that you're okay with screwing things up, and that such screw ups won't detract from the game's fun or be a big deal at all.
I still support the save-it-till-the-end idea.