PDA

View Full Version : Monster Minis

Pantler
2012-05-18, 02:35 AM
First of all, they are SO awesome.
Secondly, what is your favorite? The bat bomber goblin won my heart. Oh, and the racing snail. And the goblin child which is poking its tongue.
Thirdly, what would you like to see in further installments? I had really hoped for a myconid in this one, but oh well.

ChristianSt
2012-05-18, 06:21 AM
Yeah, these minis are really awesome :smallsmile:.

My favorite is the Goblin Civilian (besides Belkar, because he is a Sexy Shoeless God of War :smallbiggrin:).

For the next seasons I am hoping for more useable miniatures for PCs, there not that much in Spring.

[on an other note, i made a simple index (Name -> Page): AMFES - Index (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnKN3fwezEJHdGhWeVgzSXZJeHpiUnl3NnR1aF9WY UE#gid=0)
If something is wrong or missing, feel free to edit]

Winter
2012-05-18, 08:45 AM
The truly cute dog at the beginning is the most awesome mini...

fergo
2012-05-18, 08:49 AM
The llama. Or the snail. Or the tortoise... Eck, I can't decide :smallfrown:

t209
2012-05-18, 08:50 AM
I kinda like the pixies! They're so cute with theit little bows and arrows, and lute.
Plus Asian Ranger(looks like Mr. Larceny (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0420.html)) and Dwarven Ranger (I am a dwarf and walking in the woods).

rgrekejin
2012-05-18, 08:53 AM
I was really impressed by the Dire monsters, and the awesome take on the Shambling Mound was really cool, but my favorite was actually the small-sized goblin cleric. He's just so adorably ferocious. He's like a little chibi Redcloak or something.

For future instalments, I'd really like to see some undead, as I use those a lot as a DM. I'd especially be interested to see how Rich handles the skeleton (when it's not covered by robes like Xykon or his clones).

I'd also really like to see a Warlock or two, as they are my favorite class. Sadly, they're from the Complete Arcane, and therefore aren't open gaming license, I think. Unless the fact that they're now a core class in 4e somehow makes that the case... I really don't know how that sort of thing works. There seems to be some non-OGL stuff in this one, but I'm never sure what's fair game and what isn't.

ThePhantasm
2012-05-18, 09:31 AM
My favorite? Tough call, but I really love the Dwarf Druid (the dirty one without a weapon) and I think the Gnolls are pretty sweet too.

King of Nowhere
2012-05-18, 09:39 AM
I liked the orc dr.uid girl, with the flowers in her hair and a bird in her hand. Seeing that on an orc was a very nice inversion

Sunken Valley
2012-05-18, 10:18 AM
I noticed that neither in the Spring pack nor Draw Your Own were there Colossal Monsters or spaces to draw Colossal Monsters. Some game must have need of Colossal Monsters so I was wondering if there was a reason for their absence. Were they too big to put on paper? Could Rich not get them to stand up? Is Rich not doing them? Are we going to have them in a later pack? Anyone have answers?

Most importantly, do others want them?

PS: I complement Rich on his dexterous hands, unbitten fingernails and fern-covered backyard.

rgrekejin
2012-05-18, 10:40 AM
I'm not exactly sure, but I can't imagine a colossal thing would stand up very well, even if it did fit on a single piece of paper, which it might not.

Also, I think those ferns are just a picture of ferns being used as a background, not Rich's actual backyard.

Smolder
2012-05-18, 10:44 AM
Yukyuk!

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd411/dan_nolan1/th_Yukyuk.jpg (http://s1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd411/dan_nolan1/?action=view&current=Yukyuk.jpg)

By the way, cardstock works really well. No need for coins (unless maybe you're outside and it's windy).

Winter
2012-05-18, 12:20 PM
You can easily find out how much larger colossal is - and resize fittingly on printout. If you print it on cardbord stability should be a non-issue.

You might need to print on a larger sheet, but there's printers that can do that as well.

Whiffet
2012-05-18, 12:50 PM
I loved the bat-bomber and the kid with the goblin civilian, too. :smallbiggrin:

There's something about the gnoll shaman that I find really appealing. And of course, there's the penguin and the fearsome dire sloth.

Smolder
2012-05-18, 01:17 PM
The Gargantuan Green Dragon is the largest creature in the Spring set. It takes up almost an entire 8x11 page on it's own with only a little room on the side.

Alternatively, you could make your own:
1) Take a piece of 8x11 paper
2) Fold at 1/2 of height
3) Fold at 1/6 and 5/6 of height.
4) Cut flaps into the top and bottom segments.
5) Tape the folds made in step 3 together.

That's as big as you can get with a 8x11 sheet.

Otherwise, you could always print on larger sheets and stretch to fit.

Euodiachloris
2012-05-18, 02:09 PM
Oh, man: it's too tough to call. I... can't pick just one. It's the little details in so many that just make me laugh.

A few, as yet, unhighlighted: the grumpy-looking Elf druid. I wonder who started weed-whacking their own path in front of him?

Every Dwarf druid:"Stable" doesn't seem to be a middle-name for any of them. :smallbiggrin:

The Grigs. D'awwwwww... Ouch.

The Gnoll Demonic Scourge. I really, really don't want to think what's on his mind. But, I can take an educated guess. Ditto for the Cacklefiend hyena.

The Goblin alchemist: that magnifying monocle sold me. But, don't stand downwind. I have no idea what's in that flask. But, if it smells as bad as you'd expect any chemical compound to (one that flames like that, at least), I don't want near it.

His... er... mate-in-battle, the skullcleaver. Really, really likes his job. A bit too much to be entirely healthy, don't you think?

The Orc archer with the sweet little skull hair-dec. She really takes care of her image, that one.

I really could go on. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Typo-queen, that's me.

The Giant
2012-05-18, 03:11 PM
Colossal minis will require additional structural experimentation, since they wouldn't fit on one sheet of printer paper and would likely sag in the middle even if they did. Since none of the planned monsters required it—there are no Colossal land animals, and even the green dragon never makes it past Gargantuan—I put off figuring it out until next time.

The Giant
2012-05-18, 03:58 PM
I just merged the question about the Colossal minis into this thread. Let's try to keep all the discussion of A Monster for Every Season in one mega-thread, if possible. Thanks.

Cazaril
2012-05-18, 03:59 PM
Many of the mounts I thought were pretty awesome; the war elephant, the pack yak, and the camel in particular.

I was also a fan of the goblin alchemist. :D

Tobz
2012-05-18, 04:05 PM
They are awesome! I'd wish for Rich to add another OOTS- expansion for the game adding these as additional monsters. :smallbiggrin:

rgrekejin
2012-05-18, 04:45 PM
I wonder if it's acceptable to use these as forum avatars...

Obnoxious Hydra
2012-05-19, 07:57 AM
It's really hard to say which are my favourite... All of them are so nice and Order of the Stick-y. I'm really tempted to print some out and assemble them, even though I don't play DnD, just so I can set them all up in places and look at them.

I really like the dragons, especially the Rage Drake and the Wyvern.

I was very pleased with the massive amount of general animals, but especially the "special" ones, like Dire varieties, Cacklefiend Hyena, Worg, etc.

The plant mosnters were all wonderful.

Also, the many, many pages of Goblins, Orcs and Trolls were really nice.

I really hope to see some of the updated designs in the comic at some point (like the bulkier Treants, the rounder Kobold, etc.)

And, here's a question,

What do you think will the humanoids be for the other seasons?

From the sounds of things, Rich will be doing a set of humanoids for every season. If we're going with colour scheme (green humanoids for spring), I think we'll probably see Kobolds and Hobgoblins in either Summer or Autumn, because their orange colour could either be seen as "sunny", or simply Autumn-y. I think Ogres will probably be Autumn, because of the dull brown-y colour Rich usually gives them.

Reverent-One
2012-05-19, 03:02 PM
Man, these are great. I love the way mounts work especially.

I do have one regret from this set, and it's that low number of male rangers that carry a bow, not double weapons of some sort. All three male human rangers dual wield, and there's only 3 or 4 males that carry a bow for any race (a halfing, a gnome, the kobold, and I assume one of the bow elves is male).

EDIT: Huh, and the worgs on the legion sheet don't seem to have the mount lines on them.

KillianHawkeye
2012-05-19, 03:48 PM
Racing Snail FTW! :smallamused:

martianmister
2012-05-19, 05:14 PM
Yukyuk is my favourite one.

Obnoxious Hydra
2012-05-19, 05:47 PM
EDIT: Huh, and the worgs on the legion sheet don't seem to have the mount lines on them.

I think it's because the legion sheet Worgs are simply Worgs, whereas the Worg on the normal/non-legion Goblin sheet is a Large one. It's about two times as big as the legion sheet ones.

Reverent-One
2012-05-19, 07:04 PM
I think it's because the legion sheet Worgs are simply Worgs, whereas the Worg on the normal/non-legion Goblin sheet is a Large one. It's about two times as big as the legion sheet ones.

There's large Worgs on page 19, yes, but the Worg and Wolf on page 18 are medium sized and have the mount lines too. Which makes sense, since goblins are small creatures, so they can ride medium sized ones.

Though it's not like missing the mount lines is a big deal since you just need to make a small cut about halfway across. I was just pointing it out.

Red XIV
2012-05-19, 07:50 PM
Seeing Small-sized Goblins in OotS style was kind of odd, since I'm so used to them being Medium-sized.

Adoendithas
2012-05-19, 09:16 PM
Does anyone know how to assemble the Gargantuan Green Dragon? There's no solid line on the bottom, are we supposed to just tape the bottom edges together without interweaving them?

Other than that problem, I love the minis. Beautiful job. My favorite is...let's see...all of the medium/small/tiny dragons and drakes.

Smolder
2012-05-19, 11:26 PM
Does anyone know how to assemble the Colossal Green Dragon? There's no solid line on the bottom, are we supposed to just tape the bottom edges together without interweaving them?

Other than that problem, I love the minis. Beautiful job. My favorite is...let's see...all of the medium/small/tiny dragons and drakes.

I assume you mean Gargantuan. I just lined up the 4 coin shadows and taped the flaps together.

squidbreath
2012-05-20, 10:26 AM

^ I'd love to too.

NerfTW
2012-05-20, 04:30 PM

Probably most likely no, as that would be redistributing them outside what is allowed by the copyright notice on the PDF.

Also, since the rules prohibit using images from the actual comics as avatars, one would reasonably assume that the same rule would apply to any other artwork.

rgrekejin
2012-05-20, 04:55 PM
Probably most likely no, as that would be redistributing them outside what is allowed by the copyright notice on the PDF.

Also, since the rules prohibit using images from the actual comics as avatars, one would reasonably assume that the same rule would apply to any other artwork.

Ah. Okay, that makes sense.

SillySymphonies
2012-05-21, 07:23 AM
[Crossposting this from here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13256233#post13256233).]

I employed my regular players to help put all the minis together:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/Theris264/AMonsterForEverySeason.jpg
detail: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/Theris264/AMonsterForEverySeason_detail.jpg
Only four (Roy Greenhilt, an elf druid, a ranger and the warforged ranger) are missing, every single other one (including those from the legion sheets) is there. Impressive collection, innit?
And to think that'll actually be only a fourth of the total once Mr. Burlew gets around to making the other four seasons...

toughluck
2012-05-21, 08:30 AM
The PDF is awesome!

As for Colossal creatures: Think 3D!

Print one sheet per side (front and back could be half a sheet) on card stock, join the four sides (front, port, rear, starboard) together, join sides or front-back with another piece of card stock for the bottom (add coins as fit), join the other two sides on the top and voilà, instant monster.

Depending on price of card board, this could get costly soon, but the alternatives are just as expensive, if not more, and require more work:
1. Print on cardboard (A4/A3 or Legal/Ledger) and break it or glue together at the top side.
2. Print on card stock and glue another piece of card stock to the back while bending it gently outward -- that way, it will become springy and won't sag

Printing on Ledger or A3 size gets expensive very quickly, I doubt many people have an 11-inch wide printer at home, but there is a workaround: use cardboard, print each side on two separate pieces of paper (doesn't need to be card stock, even), and glue them to the cardboard.

Winter
2012-05-21, 10:56 AM
Cardboard should work with two sides, just as the other ones. Just normal printer paper won't do it.

Murray
2012-05-22, 07:01 AM
I can't say I have a favorite, but I might be particularly fond of the Gnolls. The claw fighter has such great energy to him. :smallsmile:

I'm expecting undead in one of the next sets, which will be cool. Maybe even some Blackguard! :B It'll also be cool to see more player classes in the future sets, and I'm secretly pleased that Druids got into the first set.

Alton_Utrich
2012-05-22, 02:35 PM
I've been cutting these out and putting them together in whatever spare time I have this last week, it feels so rewarding finishing and having an army stare back at you. These are excellent, especially because Gnolls are going to feature heavily in my Summer campaign.

http://i1257.photobucket.com/albums/ii503/Alton_Utrich/IMG_1400.jpg?t=1337714120

Behold, the Conquerors of the Varnished Plateau!

t209
2012-05-23, 02:23 AM
After seeing asian ranger and Orc druid, I think we found another speculation on Therkla's parents.

Palthera
2012-05-23, 04:46 AM
After seeing asian ranger and Orc druid, I think we found another speculation on Therkla's parents.

What sort of speculation, we've seen who they were already... http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0555.html

Smolder
2012-05-23, 10:43 AM
Is it wrong that I turned the Lamia (3e) into a mount for the Lamia (4e)?

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd411/dan_nolan1/th_Lamias.jpg (http://s1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd411/dan_nolan1/?action=view&current=Lamias.jpg)

I haven't played table-top D&D since 3e, so I didn't even know they revamped the Lamia. I have to say, still partial to the 3e version.

t209
2012-05-23, 01:04 PM
What sort of speculation, we've seen who they were already... http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0555.html

as in how they met and married. Therkla's dad might be a ranger and saved an orc village. He won the trust of orc chief and give him his daughter. Then they moved into azure city, had therkla and probably got lynched by racist azurites.
Human blood law is the policy of immigration in azure city.

NerfTW
2012-05-23, 01:43 PM
as in how they met and married. Therkla's dad might be a ranger and saved an orc village. He won the trust of orc chief and give him his daughter. Then they moved into azure city, had therkla and probably got lynched by racist azurites.
Human blood law is the policy of immigration in azure city.

Have we ever been given any indication at all that Azure City is racist or prejudiced against non-humans in any way? Especially given that we see the opposite with their elven alliances. Celebrating over the death of an enemy invader doesn't condemn the entire city as racists in normal dealings.

Also, I don't see how a female orc and whatever this "asian ranger" you're talking about suddenly means they're Therkla's parents with an epic backstory. I highly and extremely doubt that Rich is putting hints about characters in these things. And before you point out the hairstyles, they've been used LOTS of times. Hair is not an indication of relation. They're stick figures that use the same assets. There's only so many ways you can draw hair.

Smolder
2012-05-23, 04:09 PM
Have we ever been given any indication at all that Azure City is racist or prejudiced against non-humans in any way?

"The only good goblin is a dead goblin."

t209
2012-05-23, 04:10 PM
"The only good goblin is a dead goblin."

Actually those are from Elven Commander and I remember about Therkla's mention that she felt more comfortable living under Kubota than any other azurites.

Smolder
2012-05-23, 04:15 PM
Actually those are from Elven Commander and I remember about Therkla's mention that she felt more comfortable living under Kubota than any other azurites.

Yes, but an Azurite witness to it said "Elves are awesome." (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0707.html)

t209
2012-05-23, 10:47 PM
Okay, I should stop talking about race relations in Azure City (Wait until Therkla PDF was release).
How many of you thought Spriggans look like lady shaped trees before reading Monster minis (Especially to those who didn't play D&D or know Cornish language)?
P.S- Is the spring monster PDF updated? Just checking.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-05-23, 10:51 PM
I loved all these minis too. Can't wait to get my package.

Seeing Small-sized Goblins in OotS style was kind of odd, since I'm so used to them being Medium-sized.

And seeing elves that are clearly male or female was kind of odd too. :smalltongue:

t209
2012-05-24, 02:02 AM
I loved all these minis too. Can't wait to get my package.

And seeing elves that are clearly male or female was kind of odd too. :smalltongue:

And Asian Ranger (looks like Mr Larceny but it's nice to see an asian as a ranger), Grenade Wielding Goblins (Only gunpowder based weapon I have seen outside of Twiceblessed and Dwarven Assasin), and Armored Orc (Well in D&D anyway).
P.S- One thing you didn't feel odd is the good scaling of Elves and Human Characters (or at least Serini's mom). I kinda remember that Elves are shorter than human (or I mixed up with the lore in Elderscrolls).
Edit: Is the Monster Minis (New link) updated? Just checking.

Jay R
2012-05-25, 11:59 AM
The lighter colored riding horse and the owl are currently my favorites, but only because I actually used them in last weekend's game.

Unisus
2012-05-27, 03:55 PM
I love the minis (and actually printed a load of them for my kids).

While looking through the sheets we found some minor mistakes (nothing really bad, just things that could be changed before a possible printing of a monster mini book *smile*:

Belkar and all the other small creatures (animals/monsters/characters) and also the blanks for small creatures have the backside cut line for the "foot" off - everywhere else this lines are at the height of the center of the coins.

The Berserkers are all missing an "r".

And - i think someone mentioned it before - the worgs on the goblin legion sheet have no riding fold.

I find it interesting that aside from the humanoids there are some minis with a "real" second side while others are mirrored - i could not find a rule behind which are mirrored and which not.

ti'esar
2012-05-27, 05:45 PM

We've seen elves with identifiable sexes in OOTS proper before. Just not many of them.

Balain
2012-05-28, 10:44 PM
We used my minis last weekend while playing aspect. Actually a mix of the minis and D&D minis and desecent figures but it was awesome. Took a picture but it didn't turn out so good. I'll try to get a better one next time in a couple weeks or so

Harlan
2012-05-29, 02:56 PM
Took the time yesterday to download the monsters file. Very cool, and excellent hand modelling, Rich. You could turn that into a nice side business.

Please, do! I would like to buy them.

Gift Jeraff
2012-05-29, 02:59 PM
You want to buy his hands?! :smalleek:

Snippy
2012-05-29, 04:53 PM
You want to buy his hands?! :smalleek:

I laughed out loud at that. :smallbiggrin:

avakeiya
2012-05-29, 05:49 PM
I love the variety in appearances for each race and class. Ever since lord of the rings and art from 3e books I can only picture rangers and druids as generic cookie cutter robed/hooded figures in earth tones.

The amount of variety in character designs was a pleasant surprise, each one sharing a common theme yet equally unique. I would love to see Rich's interpretation of each class and prestige class, as I would love to use theme for player characters in my games.

Also, the design of the monsters and animals was more detailed than I expected. Kudos for raising the bar and then blowing it away.

ti'esar
2012-05-29, 06:16 PM
I love the variety in appearances for each race and class. Ever since lord of the rings and art from 3e books I can only picture rangers and druids as generic cookie cutter robed/hooded figures in earth tones.

I honestly think this is a major part of Rich's success right here - he's aware that fantasy can be go beyond the stock conventions. He doesn't always do it himself - and sometimes, the stock conventions are a lot of fun - but that simple awareness that there's other ways to do things besides the ISO Standard Tolkien Pastiche is something that doesn't seem common in the fantasy writer world, especially among that segment of it associated with D&D.

The Giant
2012-05-29, 07:20 PM
Even though they're in OOTS style, I tried to make the minis applicable to anyone's game. Most games have Small goblins and gender-normative elves, so that's what I (mostly) drew.

Re: Mirrored backs vs. "true" backs, I generally made anything that is a quadruped or otherwise has a long (rather than a tall) body shape into a mirror, because I was splitting the creature down its line of symmetry anyway. Some exceptions depended on the pose I chose (such as if one leg was obviously raised) or whether the character wasn't symmetrical anyway (like the chimera).

weso12
2012-05-29, 10:48 PM
Find it odd that there's no female gnome druid I suppose the female halfling druid works decently enough (just found it odd)
I suppose you don't know how you would draw a half-elf (elf work just fine but just wondering)
I suppose that half-orcs look just like orcs in your comic so anyone of those would work for any class half-orc someone would need
A brief guide of that for all half-orc (or Orc) classes you could if you stretch of the mineratures (base classes only)

Half-Orc/Orc Barbarian
Male: Orc (Male), Orc Drudge, Orc Warrior (Male), Orc Tribesman , Orc Raider, Orc Bloodrager, Orc Berseker
Female: Orc (Female), Orc Warrior (Female), Orc Tribeswoman
Half-Orc/Orc Cleric
Male: Orc Cleric (Duh), Orc Shaman
Female: Orc Witch
Half-Orc/Orc Druid
Male: Orc Shaman
Female: Orc/Orc Druid (Duh), Orc Witch
Half-Orc Fighter
Male: Orc (Male), Orc Warrior (Male), Orc Tribesman, Orc Fighter (Duh), Orc Warlord, Orc Boar Knight
Female: Orc (Female), Orc Warrior (Female), Orc Tribeswoman
Half-Orc/Orc Monk
Male: Orc Slave
Female: None (I could fine)
Half-Orc/Orc Paladin
Male: Orc Warlord (Re-colored with the eventual black and white version, the colors don't really work other wise), Orc Boar Knight
Female: None (I could fine)
Half-Orc/Orc Ranger
Male: Orc Archer (Male) (for bow type rangers only), Orc Raider (for dual wielding rangers only)
Female: Orc Archer (Female) (for bow type rangers only, I couldn't fine any dual wielding female Orc)
Half-Orc/Orc Rouge
Male: Orc Archer (Male) (for bow type rogues only), Orc Assassin
Female: Orc Archer (Female) (Bow Type only, I couldn't find any non bow type female orc that work for rogues)
Half-Orc/Orc Sorcerer/Wizard(Both work for both)
Male: Orc Shaman
Female: Orc Witch
I couldn't find anything bard like at all (I guess the shaman and the witch KINDA sorta work but thats to big of a stretch for me), and I couldn't find anything for female: Monks, Paladin, Dual Wielding Rangers, and Non-bow using Rouges so that the

But aside from my *MINOR* nitpicking I feel that this collection is amazing and actually very through good job Giant

Balain
2012-05-29, 11:56 PM
My friends and I are currently playing aspect. Would love to see some minis for the playable races like bearkin, wolfkin, half giant, quarter dragon,catkin, foxkin, etc.

I can always dream :smallsmile:

jere7my
2012-05-30, 12:56 AM
My friends and I are currently playing aspect. Would love to see some minis for the playable races like bearkin, wolfkin, half giant, quarter dragon,catkin, foxkin, etc.

I can always dream :smallsmile:

There are literally thousands of D&D monsters for Rich to choose from. I doubt he's going to dip into other game systems.

t209
2012-05-30, 04:53 AM
I wonder what will be next for other seasons like Summer, Fall, and Winter?
For Summer- Yelow and heat themed (Dark Sun?)
For Fall- Ghosts, Brown and Orange themed (Hobgoblins)
For Winter- Ice, Blue and Water themed (I can think about Viking esque characters)

Jay R
2012-06-04, 11:56 AM
While I was cutting out some more of the figures, a bizarre thought crossed my mind.

I can see a very unlikely scenario in which a party of adventurers would need a moose, but never a moose alone.

The only adventurer moose I can think of was always seen in the company of a squirrel.

Armitage
2012-06-04, 12:17 PM
For Winter- Ice, Blue and Water themed (I can think about Viking esque characters)
I think Rich mentioned undead for Winter.

//edit: I stand corrected. See posting below.

Gift Jeraff
2012-06-04, 12:28 PM
The Spring PDF already says that Summer will include fire-based, desert-themed, and aquatic creatures. The Giant implied that undead will be in the Fall/Autumn PDF (Halloween). He also said hobgoblins will either be Summer or Fall.

Tathum
2012-06-04, 01:24 PM
I liked this thread so much I had to join the forums and be a part of it!

My personal favorite minis are the Llama and the riding dog. Not sure how I'm ever going to use those, but they certainly are funny enough to try.

I've already had the chance to use quite a few in a new campaign. Had one friend who made an elven ranger and his was easy. But another friend and my girlfriend each had to be difficult and make Clerics. A human Druid mini served as my friend who made a Friar Tuck style PC, complete with brown robe and a staff over his chain vest. That worked. My girlfriend's female elf Druid, on the other hand ... well, let's just say that I'm looking forward to future installments.

Thankfully, I'm running a Temple of Elemental Evil campaign, so I think I'll be doing it for a helathy amount of time. And those goblin figures came in handy for an opening trail ambush on their caravan to get all the PC's together.

Now if only I could find a mini that kind of looks like Elmo...

rewinn
2012-06-04, 01:25 PM
...The only adventurer moose I can think of was always seen in the company of a squirrel.

Yes, the moose was some sort of spellcaster (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRW7pITY5Cg) ... although base on his INT, I tend to think it's more likely he's a bard not a wizard.

Vectner
2012-06-05, 08:07 AM
The orc warlord is my favorite, I just love the details and the colors. I can also see all of the love that Rich put into the goblins. Each one has so much personality, and are just fun.

The entire collection is excellent! I've used a box of matte photo paper all my color ink and about $8 in change getting all of them put together.

Jay R
2012-06-06, 06:18 AM
Yes, the moose was some sort of spellcaster (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRW7pITY5Cg) ... although base on his INT, I tend to think it's more likely he's a bard not a wizard.

Yes, of course he's a bard. He recites (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wb2wzs7IB0)poetry (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv1L-8f2erg), doesn't (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpcK69p3EZk) he (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZvR5yYcp2g)? (He even has Elan's spell, summon Plot Exposition.)

I suspect that after this discussion, I will never be able to use the moose mini seriously.

t209
2012-06-21, 07:49 PM
Am I the only one to find OOTS minis goblins, Pixie, Spriggans and small PC race other than dwarves to be cute? I kinda find these tiny things adorable.
:smallredface:Nice drawing, Rich! Awwww!

Gorgon_Heap
2012-06-23, 10:38 PM
I only finally decided to look at the file today and boy, was I surprised.

Absolutely wonderful. Rich stepped up the art and, and others have said, really did a great job with varying appearances. I was concerned when I read he was spending so much time "creating rangers" I think he said, but now that I see what he meant I'm pretty blown away.

And handily a number of these things are still to feature in the campaign I'm currently running. (Unfortunately some are already gone - no further use fdor goblins) and Hobs are yet to come out - which are the big foe at the moment - but gnolls are gonna be big in a while.

I actually created the whole party on Inkscape months ago, so now all I ahve to do is re-size them and they'll work perfectly. First time I've ever had a good reason to use minis!!!

Rich, you are awesome.

PS - I was thrilled to see the racing snail. Too bad there's no Colossal creatures because I'd love to see your rendition of a Rockbiter! :smalltongue: (I admit - in the very first session of this game I introduced a Winter Wolf I based on G'mork.)

(The party) http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g326/Gorgon_Heap/DnD%20Characters/PCs2.png

Garwain
2012-06-25, 08:05 AM
My first thought was.. I hope he can finish this series. It is absolutely lovely, but the amount of work seems brutal. I'm so looking forward to the next seasons although receiving the actual books would be nice too...

My favorite: the grig fidler. I only noticed the grig after my third read-through.

t209
2012-06-27, 10:48 AM
How about we speculate what kind of characters will we get for Next Seasons of Monsters?
Do you think Vikings will also appear in summer (i know they live in cold areas but they are also sailors).
My Favorite: Female Ranger with freckles and small characters (Pixies, Halflings, Gnomes and goblins since they are so tiny and cute). I kinda like Orcs too.

Gift Jeraff
2012-06-27, 11:51 PM
The Spring PDF already says that Summer will include fire-based, desert-themed, and aquatic creatures. The Giant implied that undead will be in the Fall/Autumn PDF (Halloween). He also said hobgoblins will either be Summer or Fall.

I think Winter will include Christmas treants.

t209
2012-06-29, 07:41 AM

I think Winter will include Christmas treants.

Or Zombie Santa or Barbarian Santa.

Jay R
2012-06-29, 07:47 PM
Or Zombie Santa or Barbarian Santa.

Toymaking elves?

Tathum
2012-07-03, 02:57 PM
So, uh...

Any idea when the summer batch will be released?

For some twisted reason, about 3 other friends wanna join my Temple Campaign, and I'd love some fresh meat to throw on the grid. Still, I love the miniatures supplied. Even with only one set I'm able to make do on a number of different PC's and NPC's. The human druids have doubled as other casters in a pinch very well.

Jay R
2012-07-07, 07:36 PM
So, uh...

Any idea when the summer batch will be released?

No idea, but my guess is ... summer.

Even with only one set I'm able to make do on a number of different PC's and NPC's. The human druids have doubled as other casters in a pinch very well.

Agreed. One of the elven rangers is now my Second Edition elven Thief/Wizard.

Garwain
2012-07-12, 08:37 AM
So, what do you guys make of the line-art file?

Personally, I think saving my printing cartridge is a very noble goal, but seeing how beautiful the colored once are.... no second doubts here. I'm also not the type to start adding color myself (can't have all talents at once).

I'm glad that the fine details are well preserved in the conversion to lines.

miiiiiinor nitpick and shame on me for posting...
Zebra, no harm in leaving the black stripes... black. Without color it looks like it's skinned.
Also, the OotS figures have their names covered by the coin shade..

Gorgon_Heap
2012-07-13, 11:10 PM
I figure the only use I have for the line art file is to print out sheets for my kids to color (once they're done with the coloring books) ...

But now I'm thinking it's not a bad way to, if you're that anal, color goblins as hobs if you need them.

Otherwise ... meh.

Oh, now that I think of it, included in the Rangers section of the Spring collection are "catfolk" - what the heck are those? I appreciate the inclusion of shifters and the warforged, and even the dragon- er - kind? ... but where do catfolk come in?

Kish
2012-07-14, 06:08 AM
Oh, now that I think of it, included in the Rangers section of the Spring collection are "catfolk" - what the heck are those? I appreciate the inclusion of shifters and the warforged, and even the dragon- er - kind? ... but where do catfolk come in?
There. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0758.html)

(Seventh and twelfth panels.)

Onikani
2012-07-14, 02:52 PM

3.x
Miniatures Handbook and Races of the Wild.
(They also in PF as monsters).

Gorgon_Heap
2012-07-14, 09:39 PM
Ah! Thanks to you both.

Obnoxious Hydra
2012-07-15, 09:37 AM
Can't wait until the coloured version of the Summer Monster Minis. I'm stopping myself from downloading until then.

Hopefully, the colour will be done fairly soon.

Jay R
2012-07-15, 01:19 PM
I figure the only use I have for the line art file is to print out sheets for my kids to color (once they're done with the coloring books) ...

But now I'm thinking it's not a bad way to, if you're that anal, color goblins as hobs if you need them.

Otherwise ... meh.

I figure that these are primarily for the dragons on pages 13 and 14. I can color-code them for the convenience of the PCs (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0207.html).

Dr. Gamera
2012-07-16, 08:53 AM

Wow, that's an amazingly good idea. Thanks!

Gorgon_Heap
2012-07-16, 12:32 PM
Certainly. Enjoy!

jere7my
2012-07-16, 02:07 PM
Can't wait until the coloured version of the Summer Monster Minis. I'm stopping myself from downloading until then.

Hopefully, the colour will be done fairly soon.

The versions that have been released so far are the color and line-art versions of Spring. No Summer PDFs have been released yet, so you don't have to gird your loins to stop yourself downloading them.

Obnoxious Hydra
2012-07-16, 03:58 PM
The versions that have been released so far are the color and line-art versions of Spring. No Summer PDFs have been released yet, so you don't have to gird your loins to stop yourself downloading them.

Oh, woah, I don't know how I made that mistake. I don't know why, but I definetely remember the line art edition being released before now, so I just misread the newly released spring line art as "Summer".

My bad.

Armitage
2012-07-17, 10:01 AM
I don't know why, but I definetely remember the line art edition being released before now, so I just misread the newly released spring line art as "Summer".
You probably mixed that up with the blank sheets that where released shortly after the color line art for Spring.

Tathum
2012-07-17, 01:51 PM
Had another fun session over the weekend where I got to use my miniatures...

Two new PC's and an NPC in the group, did alot of town adventuring, but they had a quest to run off to a grove of trees coveted by the woodcutter and carpenter that had been overrun with giant spiders. They got the approval from the local druid and set forth.

Without any spider minis just yet, I had to improvise. So their party was set upon by a slew a ravenous giant toads, three wolves, five goblin javeliniers, and a halfling with a sling. Oh, and when they finally killed the giant toad, it reeled on its back and its stomach burst open issuing forth rats, tiny snakes, and a raven.

Needless to say, they were greatly disturbed.

Next session, after some more town crawling, they get to in search of an undead warrior with a contingent of goblins and kobolds at his command. I will say that my set of minis has made me changed the main goblin encounter from one with just a group of them with one stronger leader to an intelligent band of goblins with two sharpshooters on cabin roofs, two goblin rogues that will attack halfway through the fight in the rear where the Ranger will think he's safe, a couple of Worgriders, a Goblin Shaman, and their leader, the Bat Rider who will rain firebomb death from above.

It's gonna be one hell of a fight!

Thank you, Giant! And I beg of you to come forth with that Summer set, these things are beyond useful and a hell of a lot of fun.

Gorgon_Heap
2012-07-18, 02:27 PM
Needless to say, they were greatly disturbed.

:smalleek: No doubt! That sounds great. (Totally not stealing that idea.) :smalltongue:

t209
2012-07-21, 11:09 AM
I wanted to say that I began to know more about fantasy lore after reading Monster Minis. I thought the Double Axe (A axe with axe on the end) was only for Murphyverse's Orc (http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac294/caffeineincluded/UnexpectedGreeting.png) until I saw an Orc Fighter with Double Axe in Monster Minis. The same goes to Dwarven Urgosh (Axe with spear at the end), Spriggan and Lamira.

Quakes
2012-08-03, 05:18 PM
The one thing I would have liked to have so far is an assortment of undead. The 2 plant zombies only go so far ;-)

Also, PCs in heavy armor. I have a cleric and a paladin in my group that are using the warforged ranger and an orc cleric.

The pixies were awesome though, fit my little pixie ranger player perfectly =D

snusnumrik
2012-12-10, 06:08 AM
The only thing i didnt understand is: will there be more?
I understand the author has health problems, but will he produce autumn and winter? Or they are already out?

Winter
2012-12-10, 12:35 PM
The only thing i didnt understand is: will there be more?
I understand the author has health problems, but will he produce autumn and winter? Or they are already out?

Yes, there will be more.

The author just cannot draw with a cut/bandaged/not-moving thumb. My assumption is he'll start to create more Monster Minis once you see more updates on this page.

I guess it all will come the entire kickstarter backlog is just delayed for six or so months over the initial schedule.

Either that or Rich actually did flee to an caribbean island (with an empty vulcano) with the money we gave him and only tells us a story about this bad thumb. Should that be the case, expect someone to steal the moon pretty soon and ransom it back to the UN. :smallbiggrin:

pnewman
2012-12-24, 08:37 AM

I got the line art version of Spring, but I did not get a link for the color versions. Was everyone who got the line art version supposed to get a link for the color version too? If so where do I go to get them now?

ChristianSt
2012-12-25, 07:14 AM
I got the line art version of Spring, but I did not get a link for the color versions. Was everyone who got the line art version supposed to get a link for the color version too? If so where do I go to get them now?

Yes (the color version was released before line art), Check Kickstarter Updates 37 (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/599092525/the-order-of-the-stick-reprint-drive/posts/227783) and 38 (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/599092525/the-order-of-the-stick-reprint-drive/posts/228494).

Alexander leah
2013-03-07, 09:12 AM
I discovered this minis just recentely, they are awesome! There is a way to buy the minis for who didnt partecipated to the kickstarter?

Jay R
2013-03-08, 11:31 AM
Now my Durkon figure looks wrong!

Tathum
2013-03-08, 12:23 PM
Curious if the Giant reads this thread...

Hoping for the Summer set and curious if and when they will be done. Gauche to ask so soon after the injury, I know ... but there's no other way to find out!

Jay R
2013-03-08, 01:13 PM
Will the next set have Darth V, Durkula, Dark Mistress Shadowgale, or even Elanicalicus?

krai
2013-03-08, 09:40 PM
I discovered this minis just recentely, they are awesome! There is a way to buy the minis for who didnt partecipated to the kickstarter?

I missed the kickstarter as well and am hoping that at some point there will be a way I can purchase these, they look amazing.

dmmaus
2013-09-30, 04:35 AM
Count me in as another eager buyer when these get made available for purchase! (I'm being optimistic.)

Jay R
2013-09-30, 11:10 AM
Well, there's no Elanicalicus figure yet, but the Warforged wizard is wearing his outfit.

The Giant
2013-09-30, 03:48 PM
Right now, I'm leaning toward putting them on sale as a complied PDF when all four sets are done, so no worries—much like the other Kickstarter stories, they'll eventually be available to everyone.

But don't resurrect six-month-old threads, please.