PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] Vitality And Wounds And Vigor

Chained Birds
2012-05-18, 02:38 AM
Referring to Vitality And Wound Points (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/vitalityAndWoundPoints.htm) and Wounds And Vigor (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/variant-rules#TOC-Wounds-and-Vigor).
- Assuming that the Party for this game will include: A Wizard, Cleric, Rogue, Fighter, Ranger, and Bard.
- Assuming the party will be adventuring from levels 1-20 with 3-4 encounters per day of actual adventuring.
- Assuming that most Magical items can be found by normal means (Purchasing at Magic Shops, Looting, etc.), and that game breakers (Scrolls of Gate, Wish items, etc.) are almost impossible to find.

1) Has anyone worked with either of these variants before? I ask because one of my friends was interested in at least the PF version, but I have felt a bit uncertain on how the rules would play out over the course of an adventure. What concerns me the most is the balance of the game.

2) Which one seems like the more balanced system? I'm not the best at analysis and find both systems to be interesting, though I don't want my preference to PF dynamics clouding my vision. So I'm asking for your guys' opinions on this matter.

3) Any other suggestions about running a game using any of these Variants? Concerning problem levels for the adventuring group, and stuff like magic causing too many problems in these Variants over the original. If you find other problems, I would like to hear them.

Thanks in advance Playgrounders, and I hope you can help me out.

stack
2012-05-18, 08:03 AM
Seems to me that an evil cleric channeling energy to harm could instantly stagger any foe in range not immune to negative energy damage by inflicting 1 wound per d6 of channel damage.

Be a nasty combination with the alternate channeling for the madness domain, making everyone in 30' save vs confusion while ALSO staggering them.

Tyger
2012-05-18, 08:30 AM
I can't speak to the PF side ofthings, but we just started a campaign using the Vitality & Wounds system from the D20 SRD and, while we've only had two chances to use it (we just held our second session) so far it has been good. We're playing in a no magic world, so the quicker recovery of Vitality has been a good thing. And the entire table notices the words "potential critical" a lot more now, as they have such a possibility of being fatal.

Seems to me that an evil cleric channeling energy to harm could instantly stagger any foe in range not immune to negative energy damage by inflicting 1 wound per d6 of channel damage.

Be a nasty combination with the alternate channeling for the madness domain, making everyone in 30' save vs confusion while ALSO staggering them.

That assumes the targets are already almost wounded. The PF system gives you wound points equal to twice your CON, and you are only Wounded, and thus staggered, when you get down to your Threshold, which is equal to your CON. So high CON characters have a nice buffer. But again I haven't seen this in action, so take that for what it is worth. :smallbiggrin:

stack
2012-05-18, 08:37 AM
Ah, I had the threshold backwards, applying it to incoming damage. You are right.

Though that does bring something up. I rather like the idea of teh Star Wars Saga condition track, where taking damage over a threshold moves you down the track and accumulates penalties. Not sure how you use it with the current 3.PF spell systems though.

Tyger
2012-05-18, 11:49 AM
Yeah, I really like the Shadowrun Condition Monitor, where you took cumulative penalties as you took additional damage. D&D's damage system has always bothered me, which is one of the reasons I wanted to try the Vitality system.