PDA

View Full Version : Cleric | Sorcerer ?

Zancrow
2012-05-18, 08:16 AM
In my latest game our DM told us all to take a race that was ‘unusual’ as in we couldn’t take the standard races from the 1st player handbook. So I’ve decided on a Kobold, with the white dragon spawn/ Dragonwrought /lordrake combo.

My aim for my character is to be a Zhentarim skymage, with a necromancy vibe. So I plan on being a cleric, because they get some epic necromancy spells, along with taking advantage of the effective sorcerer level increase gained from the above combo.

So far I am a Cloistered Cleric 1, Sorcerer 3 planning to take another level in sorcerer next time, so that I meet the requirements for Skymage (Spell wise). So at level 6 I should be in skymage, which Ill progress through the five levels, then move on to cleric. The main idea was that all of these classes would be suited to the high charisma mod that my character has.

Feats are:
Combat Casting [flaw 1]
Iron will [flaw 2]
Dragonwrought [lvl 1]
Dragon wings [lvl 3]

Finishing up with a score of Cloistered cleric 11, Sorcerer 4, Skymage 5 however this is my first time muti-classing with cleric and sorcerer so I’ve got a few questions.

The first one would be, how do I work out how many spells per a day I have?
Some feedback on the build idea would be nice as well.

Aeryr
2012-05-18, 11:08 AM
Instead of cleric, why don't you take rainbow servant? :smallamused:

Regarding the spells.

Zentarim skymage only advance one spellcasting class, probably cleric, since you have eleven levels on it.

You will cast spells as a 16th level cleric, and a 7th level sorcerer.

If you go sorcerer/rainbow servant/zhentarim skymage it would net a caster level of 23 for sorcerer spells, and you would have access to the whole cleric spell list.

Normally cheesing that way has: warmage, child of eberron and rainbow servant. Having access spontaneously to the whole spell list of warmage, druid and cleric.

hoverfrog
2012-05-18, 11:19 AM
Just calculate each spell list independently. How many spells do you get per day as a Cloistered Cleric 1 adjusted for Wisdom? How many spells do you get per day as a Sorcerer 3 adjusted for Charisma? So you may get 3 0th and 2 1st level (plus domain spell) cleric spells and 6 0th and 6 1st sorcerer spells. Each list and caster level is independent.

eggs
2012-05-18, 12:00 PM
If you go sorcerer/rainbow servant/zhentarim skymage it would net a caster level of 23 for sorcerer spells, and you would have access to the whole cleric spell list.
Even with the generous CL interpretation, Rainbow Servant doesn't add spells known.

Zancrow
2012-05-18, 01:26 PM
I've never come across rainbow servant before seems like an interesting class. (Your referring to the class from 'complete divine' right?)
I will definitely consider this an option, thank you very much for bring it to my attention.

However isn't this less useful for arcane casters who don't know all of the spells on their list in this case a sorcerer?
How would this play out, would I have to spend spells known slots on the cleric spells & domain spells?
As opposed to a class such as Dread Necromancer who know all of the spells on their list?

Just calculate each spell list independently. How many spells do you get per day as a Cloistered Cleric 1 adjusted for Wisdom? How many spells do you get per day as a Sorcerer 3 adjusted for Charisma? So you may get 3 0th and 2 1st level (plus domain spell) cleric spells and 6 0th and 6 1st sorcerer spells. Each list and caster level is independent.
I see, so I would in effect end up with two amounts for spells cast? One for Cleric and one for Sorcerer.

Any other suggestions for classes, with a necromancy theme that complement Sorcerer & skymage ?