PDA

View Full Version : Convert Mass Effect to 3.5/3.P

Kansaschaser
2012-05-18, 09:08 AM
Okay, so a player of mine was playing Mass Effect 3 this last week and he was doing things like Biotic Charge, Nova, Warp, Singularity, etc..

He told me, "I want to do stuff like this in D&D".

So, I now have to figure out how to make Mass Effect abilities work in the D&D universe. My question is this. Should I make them spells? Should I make them Maneuvers? Or both?

I was also thinking about creating a new prestige class for these effects. Thoughts?

Siegel
2012-05-18, 09:10 AM
Don't do it in DnD. Really, don't do it. There are allready conversions out there (Mass the Effecting) but DnD really is not the correct chasis to put ME on.

jaybird
2012-05-18, 09:32 AM
If he wants "fighting magic" in the THEME of the Vanguard, there's plenty of options like ToB and the Pathfinder Magus. If he wants to play an ACTUAL Vanguard...refer to above.

Kansaschaser
2012-05-18, 09:48 AM
If he wants "fighting magic" in the THEME of the Vanguard, there's plenty of options like ToB and the Pathfinder Magus. If he wants to play an ACTUAL Vanguard...refer to above.

Yeah, he wants the "biotic powers" of the characters in Mass Effect but in D&D. He has played a Warblade and a Crusader before and he doesn't like them. He says he has a hard time remebering all the maneuvers and what they do. I even made little 3x5 cards for him. I guess if he had played a game of D&D on the Xbox with a character that was using the maneuvers, he's understand what they did better.

Essence_of_War
2012-05-18, 10:42 AM
There are lots of psionic powers that can sort of duplicate the effects of biotics.

TK Force, TK Thrust, TK maneuver come to mind.

Energy Push, Energy Stun possibly also.

Combined with Solicit Psycrystal, a Psygish could fight while also using TK maneuver to grapple/continuously bullrush someone.

Person_Man
2012-05-18, 02:30 PM
For what it's worth, I have a homebrew Vanguard base class in my thread that you might want to look at. The Lightning Fox discipline has various "Charge" (in the Mass Effect power context) related abilities, among others.

For Singularity, there's a spell called Defenestrating Sphere or something like that in one of the splat books.

I'm sure we could work out good approximations for each. Do you have a list of powers and what they generally do you could post?

Kansaschaser
2012-05-18, 02:40 PM
For what it's worth, I have a homebrew Vanguard base class in my thread that you might want to look at. The Lightning Fox discipline has various "Charge" (in the Mass Effect power context) related abilities, among others.

For Singularity, there's a spell called Defenestrating Sphere or something like that in one of the splat books.

I'm sure we could work out good approximations for each. Do you have a list of powers and what they generally do you could post?

Mass Effect Powers (http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Powers_(Mass_Effect_3))

The only things I'm going to allow will be the Biotic Powers. Obviously I'm not going to allow the Ammo, Combat, Grenade, or Tech powers. They just won't be viable in D&D unless I add a bunch of technology.

wayfare
2012-05-18, 02:49 PM
Why isn't 3.5 a good chassis. I think its a GREAT chassis, considering that there is not much customization in Mass Effect. Follow the d20 modern path -- make 6 base classes (Soldier, Adept, Etc), then create advanced classes that characters can PRC into.

Its pretty easy to do, just give powers and feats alternating levels (again like d20 modern, with a list of powers rather than level set features) and you're done. Most biotic powers can be duplicated with d20 modern psionics or magic. Combat powers are harder to do, but you can probably cop stuff from the Psychic Warrior power list and steal the heck out of celerity or some other kind of action enhancer for the soldier.

the only powers i see being hard to duplicate: Biotic Charge and yeah, thats about it.