PDA

View Full Version : Monster PCs and herritage feats..

Kerilstrasz
2012-05-18, 11:23 AM
So.. lets say a player rolls a dragon(race) sorcerer (type and age irrelevant for this point)..
can a dragon sorcerer get the Dragon Herritage feats?

i havent found anything that sais he cant but i came across some difficulties..

1) Draconic herritage feat gives the sorcerer the "dragonblood subtype" thus he quilifies for the next herritage feats..
but...
he allready has dragonblood cause he is a dragon...
Does this means he can skip the feat??? and autoqualify for the rest???
(obviously skipping or not he cant choose any other dragon type than the one he actually is)
2) Whatever the above answer...
those feats represent the dragons special abilities at a lower version...
if he takes the feats, does those stack???
(obviously some cant stack... like the one that gives him wings since he allready has a pair,and even if he gets another pair that will only slow him down:P... but how about NA? or DR or anything similar)
i suppose same goes for sprites(Fey) with Fey herrtage etc etc..

Malimar
2012-05-18, 02:51 PM
1) Draconic herritage feat gives the sorcerer the "dragonblood subtype" thus he quilifies for the next herritage feats..
but...
he allready has dragonblood cause he is a dragon...
Technically, he doesn't actually have the [dragonblood] subtype. But creatures with the dragon type do qualify for anything that requires the [dragonblood] subtype, so close enough.

Does this means he can skip the feat??? and autoqualify for the rest???

No. There are some feats that require the [dragonblood] subtype, (e.g., Dragonfire Assault, Dragon Tail), for which he would qualify. But the Draconic Heritage feat is a prerequisite for every feat in the actual Draconic Heritage feat chain (e.g., Draconic Knowledge, the Dragon Lineage feats).

(obviously skipping or not he cant choose any other dragon type than the one he actually is)

Actually, I would rule exactly the opposite: a red dragon with red Draconic Heritage would be redundant. But a red dragon with silver Draconic Heritage would indicate a red dragon who had an ancestor who once mated with a silver dragon.
Same reasoning by which you can apply the Half-Dragon template to dragons.

2) Whatever the above answer...
those feats represent the dragons special abilities at a lower version...
if he takes the feats, does those stack???
(obviously some cant stack... like the one that gives him wings since he allready has a pair,and even if he gets another pair that will only slow him down:P... but how about NA? or DR or anything similar)
i suppose same goes for sprites(Fey) with Fey herrtage etc etc..
Most of them yes, some of them no. Draconic Skin specifies "Your natural armor bonus increases by 1", so it stacks. Draconic Resistance would give you energy resistance, but only if you don't already have immunity to that energy. And so on.

Kerilstrasz
2012-05-19, 12:24 AM
Really very thank you :)