PDA

View Full Version : Odd-ball Fochulcan Lyrist

Flavel
2012-05-18, 06:34 PM
I haven't seen a build similiar to this. Its a bit strange. Actually it's very strange.

Race: Human
Starting Stats.
Str 10
Dex 10
Con 12
Int 18
Wis 15
Cha 8

1st level is Human Paragon with skills aligned toward Foclucan Lyrist
2nd level is Wizard
3rd and 4th levels finish Human Paragon boosting the Int 2 points.
5th level as Wizard
6th and 7th level as Divine Oracle (for evasion preq and advancing Wizard).
8th and 9th level as Loremaster (for Bardic Lore and advancing Wizard).
10th level as Druid (for divine spells and Druidic language).
11-20 level as Fochulcan Lyrist.

Ending Stats
Str 10
Dex 10
Con 12
Int 24
Wis 16
Cha 8

Spellcasting as Wizard 18, and Druid 11.
BaB of 15
Bardic Music 10 X Daily with NO Bard Songs. Thats right none, zilch, nadda.
HitPoint average of 93.
Fort Save 9
Refx Save 15
Will Save 24

Feats...

Skill Focus; Religon
Maximize Spell
Quicken Spell
Extend Spell
Persistent Spell
Insightful Reflexes
Versatile Performer
Alacritous Cogitation
Captivating Melody
Metamagic Song

Bonus feat from being human, being a human paragon, and being a loremaster.

Skills...a lot.

There are some wickedly fun things you can do, including spontaneously casting
a 9th level arcane spell that is both persistent and maximized.

Don't give a rip about Cha as bardic music is only used to boost the DCs of spells or (once a day) apply meta-magic without modifying a spell's level.

Flavel
2012-05-18, 07:01 PM
Oops, I stand corrected. Metamagic song won't allow a caster to modify a spell beyond the level he could normally cast.

"You cannot use the Metamagic Song feat to add metamagic
feats that would make the spell’s effective level higher than
the highest level of spell that you can cast normally." -Races of Stone

For a second there, I thought I found a wild loop hole. Ah, well, I still think the build is viable.

Quirp
2012-05-18, 07:09 PM
As far as I remember Divine Oracle does not give you the evasion class ability, but one that functions similiar.
A ring of evasion might be a better investment.

Flavel
2012-05-18, 07:19 PM
As far as I remember Divine Oracle does not give you the evasion class ability, but one that functions similiar.
A ring of evasion might be a better investment.

Page 47 of Complete Adventurer states that the requirements are for "...evasion abilities," not evasion.

Page 36 of Complete Divine states, "This form of evasion works
no matter what armor the divine oracle wears, unlike the
evasion ability used by monks and rogues."

I figure this is good enough for class qualifications. Perhaps I'm mistaken.

Amphetryon
2012-05-18, 07:45 PM
Tools for Fochlucan Lyrist (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872158/Tools_for_Fochlucan_Lyrist_Builds?pg=1).

Divine Oracle is iffy, and DM-dependent, but recommended.

You'll still be pretty MAD.

Flavel
2012-05-18, 07:53 PM
Tools for Fochlucan Lyrist (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872158/Tools_for_Fochlucan_Lyrist_Builds?pg=1).

Divine Oracle is iffy, and DM-dependent, but recommended.

You'll still be pretty MAD.

Mad as in Multiple Attribute Dependent?

I'm not certain I follow you. INT is maxed with WIS a distant 2nd place. Everything else is inconsequential. Just enough WIS to qualify for 6th level spells.
Just enough STR and DEX so there are no negatives and CHA as a dump stat.

Amphetryon
2012-05-18, 08:58 PM
CON 12 + FL HP makes you squishier than I'd be comfortable playing, especially for facing FORT save-or-stinks.

Low STR + DEX causes potential issues in combat up until relatively high levels of play, particularly with Initiative. REF will be a real issue before you snag Insightful Reflexes, a potentially fatal one combined with your likelihood of acting near the end of the round.

Lack of improvement in WIS will mean your Druid spells won't be of much consequence to enemies either, making you a Wizard who dabbles a little.

Flavel
2012-05-18, 11:06 PM
Yeah, I prefer a higher CON, but the Hit dice are somewhat better then a pure Wizard. The Fort save is weak, and the reflex save is horrible for several levels. The Feat bonuses help, and they come into play in the first 9 levels. The first loremaster secret goes to +2 Fort saves.

This underscores one of the basic problems in rapid dips to various classes and prestige classes in that the saving throws get weighted oddly and BAB usually suffers.

One of the nice things about this character progression is it mostly focuses on wizard spellcasting whereas the original Fochulcan Lyrist construction goes Druid/Bard/Rogue of one sort or another that felt awkward to me.

Druid spellcasting would be for buffs and non-combat stuff.

hex0
2012-05-20, 07:52 PM
If Divine Oracle is a no-go, then I'd suggest Spell Dancer instead as it gives real evasion.

Callous
2012-05-25, 02:09 PM
How do you quality to divine oracle as an arcane caster? Is your DM basically just giving it to you?

Hard to advise you when we don't know the rules of your game