PDA

View Full Version : flying..3D...AoO

chomskola
2012-05-18, 07:23 PM
When you fly higher than 5 ft out of a threatened square..do you provoke an AoO? Presuming you could fly straight up, would you provoke an AoO? HAs anyone else any queries about how the rules work when we move into 3D? IT sure looks tricky from where im standing hehe

VGLordR2
2012-05-18, 07:44 PM
Yes, you would provoke an AoO, because you are leaving a threatened square. Remember that a Withdraw action can get you out without the AoO.

Thomasinx
2012-05-18, 07:52 PM
When you fly higher than 5 ft out of a threatened square..do you provoke an AoO? Presuming you could fly straight up, would you provoke an AoO? HAs anyone else any queries about how the rules work when we move into 3D? IT sure looks tricky from where im standing hehe

The rules state that leaving a threatened square provokes an attack of opportunity. Direction has nothing to do with it.

It doesn't matter whether you are flying upwards, burrowing into the ground, stepping forward or back. The opponent will get this attack unless you do something specifically addressing it (tumble, withdraw, five foot step, etc.)

chomskola
2012-05-18, 08:09 PM
But when are you considered to have "left the square" in vertical terms?

chomskola
2012-05-18, 08:20 PM
But when are you considered to have "left the square" in vertical terms?

Greyfeld85
2012-05-18, 08:24 PM
The same as if you'd left a threatened square, laterally.

The rules for 3-dimensional combat are the same as for 2-dimensional, except squares become cubes. A character with your standard 5 foot reach threatens all 26 cubes in their 3D space. Similarly, a character with a 10 foot reach threatens out to all outer 98 cubes (and fail to threaten the inside 26 cubes, assuming they're not wielding a spiked chain or armor spikes or whatever).

I'm pretty sure my math is right, anyway >.> I was never very good at 3-dimensional visualization.

VGLordR2
2012-05-18, 08:25 PM
When dealing with three dimensions, all squares become cubes. So leaving the square would be flying five feet into the air.