PDA

View Full Version : Tiny hut in the Plane of Fire

TheDarkSaint
2012-05-19, 08:24 AM
Would you rule that Leomund's Tiny Hut would protect people from the natural effects of the Elemental Plane of Fire?

I'm trying to plan ahead with my wizard's spell list before we go there and I'd hate to get trapped out on the planes of fire if my Planar Tolerance wears out before we can make it to the City of Brass.

My other go-to option is Rope Trick if we get trapped.

How would you guys rule?

prufock
2012-05-19, 10:34 AM
Not sure if it says anywhere exactly how hot the plane of fire is, but I'd imagine if falls into the extreme heat (140 or higher) category. If the temperature there is 140, that means inside the hut it's 110, which is the severe heat category. If the temperature in the plane is 170 or higher, the temperature inside the hut is 140, which is the extreme category.

Personally I would probably say it's Extreme outside and Severe inside.

Rope Trick is better.

Worira
2012-05-19, 12:28 PM
The elemental plane of fire is made of fire. Being in it deals 3d10 damage a round. Dropping the temperature by 30 degrees Fahrenheit is not going to make a difference.

Invader
2012-05-19, 01:45 PM
The average temperature for a candle flame is around 1800 degrees F and that's considerable cooler than flames from any kind of solid or gas fuel.

If you judge the temp to be anywhere near that equivalent then I'd have to say no LTH wouldn't be very effective.

ericgrau
2012-05-19, 02:53 PM
Enough to kill a commoner in 6 seconds is several hundred degrees, if not over a thousand. Above 140 degrees can be lethal but not within 6 seconds; it would take far longer. So tiny hut is unlikely to have any effect on hundreds of degrees of heat.

Try 30 points of fire resistance. Or fire resistance 20 (0.7 average damage per round) and a 750 gp wand of cure light wounds can keep a party of 4 going for 10 minutes. A wand or two is plenty to conduct some business and leave. Resist energy with caster level 7 provides 20 points of resistance; at level 11 it provides 30.

In the spell compendium there is also the 3rd level spell avoid planar effects which does precisely what you want for the whole party but only lasts 1 min/level. A lesser rod of extend spell or the feat may be helpful.

The problem with rope trick is the rope will burn immediately.

molten_dragon
2012-05-19, 04:40 PM
The problem with rope trick is the rope will burn immediately.

Rope trick can be cast on any piece of rope, just find some rope that's immune to fire. There's probably something in a book somewhere. At the very least the Planar Handbook contains fireproof parchment and fireproof clothing, so it's not much of a stretch to convince your DM that you could get some fireproof rope somewhere. Or buy some fireproof clothing and make 'rope' out of that prison style.

Drazik
2012-05-19, 04:46 PM
i would houserule it yes. mostly just because i love that spell though.

TheDarkSaint
2012-05-19, 11:18 PM
I'm not all that worried about my rope burning up. I'm going to hit us with Planar Tolerance when we hit the plane.

What I'm worried about is this. I've used Lesser Planar Binding to bind a Lesser Salamander into being a guide for us when we head to the city of brass. I've Bound a Janni who will provide the planeshift transport to the Plane of Fire.

I know we are going to be thrown off course up to 500 miles away from the city by planeshift. I'll be scrying the Salamander when we arrive to get a location and use several teleport scrolls to ferry everyone there.

The thing I worry about is that the scrying doesn't work the first time, leaving us stranded, having to hoof it to the city of brass. I'm currently 9th level, so Planar Tolerance will last 9 hours. I can extend the rope trick to last 18 hours and we could try the scry again if it fails after 24 hours.

The more I think about it, the more I agree that The Hut would Suck on the plane of fire, but rope trick should do it.

prufock
2012-05-20, 09:11 AM
Actually, yeah, after further consideration and reading some other posts here, I've changed my opinion as well. The plane of fire should be WELL above 140 degrees. Inside of the hut is extreme heat regardless.