PDA

View Full Version : Resisting Damage

Godrednu
2012-05-19, 08:32 AM
I would like to know more about this topic, but I can't find it anywhere. Where am I missing it?

Raimun
2012-05-19, 09:18 AM
PHB p. 276.

What's there to know? You take damage, you have appropriate damage resistance, you reduce the damage taken by the listed amount.

Godrednu
2012-05-19, 11:17 AM
When a power says you resist 5 from all damage until the end of your turn. I need to know whether that happens every time you take damage til the end of your next turn or just the first time.

Uruz2012
2012-05-19, 01:11 PM
It's resistance is every time. Barring a specific rule in the power itself. As an example, one of my friends plays a dwarf with 15 poison resistance from feats, race, etc. This means that he takes 15 less damage from ANY poison every time. We like to have him drink stuff to make sure it's safe...

tcrudisi
2012-05-20, 06:43 AM
When a power says you resist 5 from all damage until the end of your turn. I need to know whether that happens every time you take damage til the end of your next turn or just the first time.

Note that what you are talking about is closer to temporary hit points.

If you have 10 temporary hit points and you take damage, it subtracts from your temporary hit points first. So if you took 13 damage and you had 10 temps? You take 3 points of actual damage. But temporary hit points go away as soon as it is used, whereas resistance does not. If you take 7 damage but had 10 temp hp? You have 3 temp hp left to use with the next monster that hits you. Temp hp stay with you until you take a rest (short or extended) or until they get used up.

Note that some powers give you resistance against a single attack only. (Usually it's item powers and what-not.) If an item says that it gives you resist 10 all against the next attack, well, you only subtract 10 from the next attack. Sometimes the power will say you resist 10 until the end of your next turn. In those cases, you will prevent anywhere from 0 (no one attacks you) to over 9,000 points of damage (if 901 minions that do 10 damage each manage to hit you, then the scanner says you've prevented over 9,000 damage). [Note: there's no cap on how much damage can be prevented. I just used 9,000 because it seemed arbitrarily high and it reminded me of that terrible cartoon.)