PDA

View Full Version : The Toymaker. (3.5 Character setup help request)

Wadaro
2012-05-19, 10:39 AM
Hello there, GitP forumgoers, I'm here with an idea I need quite a bit of help chewing over.

TL;DR is below at the bottom.

My group is starting up a new campaign called Villains By Necessity. The premise is that our characters are living in a world with absolutely no evil in it. Despite this, We are unsatisfied with our lives and how the rulers of our world still maintain an unfair status quo of sorts. So now we're trying to change the world to our point of view.

The players are really excited to tap into their dark sides, and everybody has their character sheets finalised. Except for me. I need help.

My heart is set on a character that focuses on minions. The summarised story is that my character was a toymaker who lost his entire family in a fire and has become obsessed with breaking through to the realm of death to either communicate with his wife and children or to find some way to bring them back to life. The lords of the land refused to use their divine magic to bring back his family, and so disillusioned with the heirarchy, he sets off on his own quest to undo the damage wrought by any means necessary. He has since begun gathering the bodies of the dead to provide the foundation of his illegal research. Of course, an apprentice Toymaker is NOT a the best way to start necromantic studies. His progress will be slow. But eventually...

The Toymaker shall spend his life creating flawless eternal vessels from the dead to reintroduce the spirits of the deceased to the material world falls so far in his madness he eventually abandons his original goal in favour of transforming himself into one of his expressions of his perfect world - and therefore becomes a monster.

A Grim Necromancer(Heroes of Horror) is my first idea, but... I don't want to play a typical necromancer again. So I looked into a different way to do things.

I looked over a different possibilty. Its "mock necromancy" at its finest!
This involves the Artificer(Eberron Campaign Setting) and Effigy Master(Complete Arcane) and possibly even a Renegade Mastermaker(Magic of Eberron). The DM is still looking at whether or not he'll ignore the "simulacrum" prerequisite for the Effigy Master. He's a pretty good guy and he says Effigy Masters are underpowered, so I'm assuming it will be allowed.

I've never played an Artificer class before, much less a class that focused on crafting - the rules of which I cannot seem to get my head around.

If you were to build an Artificer centred on minions, how would you go about it? I'm just fishing for some help - with how crafting works, or with how the level progression would look.

TL;DR

I'm playing a toymaker driven insane by death. He wants to rebuild everything into golems or effigies or whatever, but since he's a toymaker he doesn't know necromancy. How would you do a minion-centric Artificer?

Thanks for your help!

Wadaro
2012-05-19, 12:27 PM
Could this get moved to the D&D 3e/3.5e/d20 Section?

I apparently don't know how to navigate.

Kol Korran
2012-05-19, 01:37 PM
i'm no expert on artificers and constructs, but this is what i think:

the toy maker can can focus on 3 main things:
- creating wondrous items: This is attainable at low levels (a free feat at 3rd level if i'm not mistaken), and offers the toy maker a varied range of items ("simple toys") for him to play with. deending on how lenient your DM is, you might craft items that are not in the normal array of items. this can still be a creative hobby once you move to the more advanced "toy making".

- craft homonculus: the first attempts at creating animated creatures. Eberron Campaign setting has a few at the back, the MM1 has the original one and Magic of Eberron has 3-4 more. (plus feats to make them much much better).

- craft construct: sometime you're going to learn to craft golems (i don't remember if you must obtain books or such. check this)- the ultimate toys, with super bodies.

- if the DM allows this, you might get to craft (living) constructs (such as warforged) at really high levels- sentient constructs, which may be the epitome of what you're working towards, if i get it right. (perhaps golem + intelligent item?)

as to how magic item crafting work. there are some differences in the different item descriptions, but in general:
1) check out the item's base price.
2) you need to pay half that in components, and 1/25 that in XP (or from your artificer craft reserve)
3) crafting usually takes 1 day per 1000gp of the base price or part there off.
4) you're supposed to meet the requisites for the item creation, but artificer can bypass that with a successful Use Magic Device check (check the class, i don't remember the exact details)

at the start you mostly use scrolls. when you can- wands become your much cheaper friends.

there are quite a few feats in Eberron Campaign Setting (and i think in Magic of Eberon as well) that decrease money, XP, time and so on needed to craft.

a common trick is to create (when you have the money and skill) a Dedicated Wright homonculus, and a portable hole. the homonculus lives inside the hole, making you magic items while you adventure.

that is all i remember. i hope i got it all right.

Madara
2012-05-19, 04:52 PM
This involves the Artificer(Eberron Campaign Setting) and Effigy Master(Complete Arcane) and possibly even a Renegade Mastermaker(Magic of Eberron).

The Effigy master is cool, but just take the craft construct feat, it allows you to make effigies even without the class.

I would go pure Artificer. Unless you can either
A) Get your GM to have the casting advance in PrCs advance your craft pool
B) Get some Homebrew PrC approved

Wadaro
2012-05-19, 08:04 PM
@ Kol Korran - Yes, you are correct. I've found the feats that reduce the costs of crafting(legendary artisan feats), and I also have discovered how exactly the Dedicated Wright and the Portable Hole trick works.

Its interesting to note that the artisan feats ONLY reduce one type of cost. If I take the Artisan feat that reduces the Gold cost by 25%, then the other two costs are NOT also reduced - they're still calculated using the original Gold cost before the Artisan feat gets me the discount.

@ madara - You are correct, I suppose taking the Craft Construct Feat is a LOT better then using up 3 class levels to get minor improvements on my Effigy soldiers.

I don't have access to any of the books, but for Homunculi, are they semi-sentient or otherwise able to carry out complex orders? Because if they're smart enough for me to assign basic Effigy Soldiers to each Homunculus, then I guess I have the beginnings of our new Villainous Army. :P

On the note of Effigies and Homunculi....

Is it possible to create Effigy Homunculi? Because having a 10-Headed Hydra Homunculus Effigy would be pretty sweet, I think.

DeusMortuusEst
2012-05-20, 02:18 PM
Look up the artificer handbook on brilliantgameologists, there's a section there dealing with artificers focusing on constructs. There was also a thread back at wizards board detailing how to build "nanomachines" with an artificer, focusing on aid another checks, while the concept might not be interesting for you, it might contain some interesting tips.

Wadaro
2012-05-20, 09:03 PM
Nanomachines?! Man, I hope I can find that thread then!

To the Wizards boards!

Oh yeah, is there any way to custom-create your own minions beyond Effigies? Is it as simple as fashioning a set of Armour and then Awakening it or something?

Or how about binding souls to constructs? That'd be cool too.

Wadaro
2012-05-20, 09:18 PM
Nanomachines?! Man, I hope I can find that thread then!

To the Wizards boards!

Oh yeah, is there any way to custom-create your own minions beyond Effigies? Is it as simple as fashioning a set of Armour and then Awakening it or something?

Or how about binding souls to constructs? That'd be cool too.

Asheram
2012-05-21, 08:23 AM
Wasn't that something about making diminutive constructs and using them to "aid another" in everything their constructor did?

Wadaro
2012-05-26, 06:48 AM
I spend some time looking for any help regarding diminutive constructs, but I can't find anything.

Could anybody shed some light on this?

Hanuman
2012-05-26, 07:19 AM
Have you tried the mechanomicon?

also, related:

Uncanny
http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/4116/uncanny3.jpg
Textless (http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9975/uncannys.jpg)

+2 Charisma +2 Constitution -2 Wisdom -2 Intelligence
Construct (Living Construct)
Medium
Uncanny base land speed is 30 feet.
Immunity to sleep effects, paralysis, disease, nausea, fatigue, exhaustion, sickness and energy drain.
Does not need to sleep, eat, breathe or rest.
Healing effects only heal Uncanny for half their normal amount, repairing effects heal Uncanny normally.
Does not heal naturally.
Cannot wear armor.
Favored Class: Bard

Destiny of Ruin (Ex): Uncanny have a racial -10 to all skills to fabricate, repair or otherwise materially better their situation.

Light Fortification (Ex): When a critical hit effects an Uncanny, they have a 25% chance of treating it as a non-critical.

Heart of the City (Ex): You have a racial +2 to performance checks and can choose from the following traits:
-Born of Movement: Gain DR2 vs bludgeoning damage and and treat falls as if they were 10’ shorter.
-Born of Sound: Gain +4 to listen checks and gain a +5 bonus to 3 musical perform checks per day.
-Born of Masks: Gain +4 to sense motive checks and a +5 bonus to 3 acting or comedy checks per day.

Once great cities littered these kingdoms, filled with happiness and prosperity, but now they have all fallen to ruin and the Uncanny wander as lost relics of an age long forgotten.

Uncanny are constructs designed to entertain the people of the cities that built them, once they entertained squares, courtyards and markets with their dance, music and theater but now dwell in ruins of their cities, slowly falling into disrepair.

Monster Entry
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/4116/uncanny3.jpg
Textless Image (http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9975/uncannys.jpg)

This page is part of the Flowdancer Project

Uncle Pine
2012-05-26, 08:04 AM
I found this (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870890/Updated_Nanobots_Conquer_D38;D_%28AC,_Attack,_and_ Skill_Records%29) thread on WotC. It actually talks about making a huge army of little nanomachines (nanobots, aka diminutive constructs) that help you using "aid another". This means that they won't conquer the world for you, but you'll be able to do things like jumping in the stratosphere using them.
Profit! :smallbiggrin:

Hanuman
2012-05-26, 11:13 AM
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=ofl86uqq3na7amkbpnkdbcnda2&topic=177.0