PDA

View Full Version : Useful spells for wands.

Mnemnosyne
2012-05-19, 03:47 PM
One thing I often have trouble with when equipping a character is determining what spells are really good choices to stick into wands. A handful are obvious and well-known like Lesser Vigor on any character that can reliably activate that, but there's a lot I wind up conflicted about whether they're worthwhile to have as a wand. So, I've decided to make up a list of good spells for wands, which if it gets sufficiently robust, I'll try to make into a 'handbook' for generic wand use. The logical requirements are that the spell not have a saving throw (or have an effect even on a successful save) and that the spell not scale with level (or at least be worthwhile even at minimum caster level).

Of course, if a list like this already exists and I don't know about it, would be glad to just be pointed to it: would save a lot of work.

I'm starting out with only 1st level spells (and furthermore, focusing on the cleric list) since that's what I need at the moment, but I'd like suggestions on any spells others think are very good choices to have available in a wand.

Cleric 1:
Spell NameReference PageComments
Comprehend Languages212 PHBSituational, but very common situation.
Hide from Undead241 PHBUndetectable to undead only - 10 minutes even at CL1 makes it practical for wand use.
Lesser Vigor170 Complete DivineGood source of healing with an excellent GP to HP ratio.
Obscuring Mist258 PHBConcealment regardless of CL, and minute/level makes it useful even at CL1.
Omen of Peril171 Complete DivineUseful 1st level divination, no improvement by CL.
Wieldskill134 Magic of Faerun+10 competence to a skill for 1 minute/level is usually long enough to get something done.

Ones I'm not sure about:
Spell Name|Reference Page|Comments
Ebon Eyes77 Spell CompendiumSee in darkness, even magical darkness - does this situation come up often enough to warrant a wand?
Protection from Alignment266 PHBIs the protection/blocking of mental control good enough to make this a useful wand spell? The AC and save bonuses are tough to justify on, given that it would take one wand for each alignment.
Shield of Faith278 PHB+2 AC buff, but 1 min/level duration means it's hard to pre-cast. Is it worth probably having to use an action in combat, plus the wand cost?

Cleric 2:
Bull's Strength207 PHBStat-booster that lasts 1 min/level. Generally long enough to last an entire combat, even at minimum caster level.
Guidance of the AvatarWeb (http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a)For when you absolutely, positively need that skill check to succeed. Doesn't allow you to make it untrained, so combine with Wieldskill for untrained skills.
Shield Other278 PHBUseful situational spell, and from a wand it still lasts a considerable time. If you're going to use it regularly, might as well wand it.
Silence279 PHBIf you need to be quiet, you can cast it on something you carry. If you need to shut up an enemy, throw the object near them. 1 min/level duration makes it reasonably useful as a wand.
Status284 PHBActually a really useful spell to cast whenever you send someone out to scout or do anything separate from the rest of the party.

Ones I'm not sure about:
Bear's Endurance203 PHBStat-booster that lasts 1 min/level. Generally long enough to last an entire combat, even at minimum caster level. Not sure if this one is really used that often, though.
Eagle's Splendor225 PHBStat-booster that lasts 1 min/level. Generally long enough to last an entire combat, even at minimum caster level. Not sure if this one is really used that often, though.
Iron Silence125 Spell CompendiumWant to sneak and wear heavy armor? Not sure if this is worth wanding, though. Might be, for the right kind of character.
Living Undeath134 Spell CompendiumOk, great if you know you're about to be ambushed by sneak attackers, but it's not much of an ambush if you know that early enough to cast this spell beforehand. Still, if you find yourself flanked by lots of rogues...
Owl's Wisdom259 PHBStat-booster that lasts 1 min/level. Generally long enough to last an entire combat, even at minimum caster level. Not sure if this one is really used that often, though.

Sorcerer/Wizard 1:
Arrow Mind15 Spell CompendiumFor archers only, immediate action will last all combat and let you threaten with a bow and let you fire without taking AoO's. Stick it in a Wand Chamber in your bow.
Benign Transposition27 Spell CompendiumAll kinds of uses to manipulate the battlefield and get yourself or allies out of trouble.
Blockade95 Complete ScoundrelProvide total cover, block off a 5 ft. hallway or prevent charges.
Comprehend Languages[/td]212 PHBSituational, but very common situation.[/tr]
Enlarge Person226 PHBCommon combat buff, and 1 min/level means it lasts the entire combat even from a wand, usually.
Mighty Wallop114 Races of the DragonNot as good as Greater Mighty Wallop, but with 1 min/level duration it'll last you a whole combat.
Nerveskitter146 Spell Compendium+5 immediate action to your initiative - assuming you had the wand in your hand or otherwise ready to use.
Obscuring Mist258 PHBConcealment regardless of CL, and minute/level makes it useful even at CL1.
Speed Swim121 Magic of Faerun30 Ft. swim speed that ignores armor and encumbrance can save you from drowning and/or other bad underwater situations.
Sticky Floor117 Races of the DragonNo-save entangling plus possible immobilization in a 10x10 square. Will stop all charges in their tracks, slow down approaches, and and lasts 1 hour at CL1.

Ones I'm not sure about:
Disguise Self222 PHBUseful, but worth putting into a wand? 1050 more GP gets you a Hat of Disguise, and I have the feeling you'd be better off saving for that.
Ebon Eyes77 Spell CompendiumSee in darkness, even magical darkness - does this situation come up often enough to warrant a wand?
Expeditious Retreat228 PHBAnother +30 ft. to movement speed for even 1 minute means you can outpace your enemies if it's time to run the hell away. But do you run away enough to make it worthwhile? Or is it worth using a round in combat to buff with this for the maneuverability?
Hold Portal241 PHBPrevent people from following you through a door for a minute. Situationally useful, but does the situation come up often enough to put it on a wand?
Protection from Alignment266 PHBIs the protection/blocking of mental control good enough to make this a useful wand spell? The AC and save bonuses are tough to justify on, given that it would take one wand for each alignment.

Sorcerer/Wizard 2:
Alter Self197 PHBAt 10 min/level, this exceedingly useful spell works effectively as a wand for a lot of situations, whether it's to gain a large natural AC, skills, or a movement mode.
Bull's Strength207 PHBStat-booster that lasts 1 min/level. Generally long enough to last an entire combat, even at minimum caster level.
Blur206 PHBBasic defense spell for miss chance, and 1 min/level will last a whole combat even at minimum caster level. Often a good thing to cast before any fight.
Invisibility245 PHBNeeding to hide happens often enough for this to probably be worth a wand. 1 min/level duration is nothing to write home about as a wand, but it gets you out of a jam.
Spectral Hand282 PHBDo you have a lot of touch spells? Do you want to use them without getting your face pounded in? 1 min/level makes this useful in combat when it's needed.
Web301 PHBLots of effect even on a successful save, 10 min/level duration, extremely good as a wand.
Wraithstrike243 PHBPretty expensive as a wand to be honest, but when you need it, you're probably going to need it for several consecutive rounds. Stick it in your primary weapon's wand chamber.

Sorcerer 2:
Wings of Cover119 Races of the DragonImmediate action denial of any single-target attack. Definitely worthwhile for sorcerers, and one of the better arguments for getting UMD high enough to reliably trigger wands on others.

Ones I'm not sure about:
Bear's Endurance203 PHBStat-booster that lasts 1 min/level. Generally long enough to last an entire combat, even at minimum caster level. Not sure if this one is really used that often, though.
Eagle's Splendor225 PHBStat-booster that lasts 1 min/level. Generally long enough to last an entire combat, even at minimum caster level. Not sure if this one is really used that often, though.
Knock246 PHBFor 90 gp/door you or an ally can put points into something other than Open Locks. Might be a good deal...except you can get a Barbarian Lockpick (also known as a greataxe) a lot cheaper. So, good only for when you need to get through doors quietly. Is that really worth a wand?

Druid 1:
Blockade95 Complete ScoundrelProvide total cover, block off a 5 ft. hallway or prevent charges.
Branch to Branch38 Spell CompendiumEffectively guarantees being able to climb trees, and gives you an overland movement ability that arguably can't be tracked normally. Good if you spend a lot of time in forests or jungles.
Entangle227 PHBMinute per level duration means it works well on a wand, and an effect even with a successful save makes this great battlefield control that can go on wands.
Faerie Fire229 PHBNegation of concealment with no saving throw, for a full minute. Always useful.
Lesser Vigor170 Complete DivineGood source of healing with an excellent GP to HP ratio.
Omen of Peril171 Complete DivineUseful 1st level divination, no improvement by CL.
Pass Without Trace259 PHBSituationally needed, but when you do need it, your whole party needs it, so it makes an adequate wand candidate.
Speed Swim121 Magic of Faerun30 Ft. swim speed that ignores armor and encumbrance can save you from drowning and/or other bad underwater situations.

Ones I'm not sure about:
Aspect of the Wolf16 Spell CompendiumI liked this one at first, but it seems to me that by the time it's affordable it's not all that great. The spell is great for disguising your animal companion if you've got something big and scary, but the 10 minute duration makes it questionable as a wand.
Snake's Swiftness39 Miniatures HandbookWhile granting an attack is nice, it costs the caster a standard action to do so. Nice if you have a raging barbarian standing in position to deliver another massive power attack to the enemy, I suppose, but is it really worth trading your standard action for one other person's attack?
Speak with Animals281 PHBNot generally something you want to memorize, but I think the situation comes up often enough that you want more than a couple scrolls, maybe?

Bard 1:
Ambient Song89 Song and SilenceUse bardic music for 1 minute without alerting everyone around you that a bard is singing. Pretty useful.
Comprehend Languages212 PHBSituational, but very common situation.
Cure Light Wounds215 PHBWhen are bards too low level to reliably UMD a wand of lesser vigor, but still need to heal, they use this.

Ones I'm not sure about:
Disguise Self222 PHBUseful, but worth putting into a wand? 1050 more GP gets you a Hat of Disguise, and I have the feeling you'd be better off saving for that.
Expeditious Retreat228 PHBAnother +30 ft. to movement speed for even 1 minute means you can outpace your enemies if it's time to run the hell away. But do you run away enough to make it worthwhile? Or is it worth using a round in combat to buff with this for the maneuverability?

For Eternal Wands or Minor Schema:
Alarm197 PHBWhile not likely to be used often enough to warrant a wand, using it once a day is great for making your sleeping location a little more secure.
Endure Elements226 PHBEspecially as a minor schema, this is nice to have.
Healthful Rest111 Spell CompendiumDoubling your natural healing rate is great if you have something else that's dependent on that. I'm looking at druids in particular, since this enhances healing they get whenever they wildshape.
Gentle Repose235 PHBSometimes you need to preserve someone to raise them later. Or just to stop the stink. Also good if you happen to be undead yourself.
Greater Alarm8 Spell CompendiumAgain, probably not worth a wand, but nice as a repeatable-use magic item to help keep your resting area extra-secure. Might be overkill, though.

I'll update this post and add other spell lists later, but would love comments on what I have already and suggestions for others to add (suggestions for other spell lists would be fine too, since I will eventually be adding those).

Invader
2012-05-19, 03:54 PM
Invisibility and grease, especially for low level rogues.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-05-19, 04:02 PM
Wraithstrike is really awesome and I think it can be quite cost effective and at higher level with itteratives + haste + possibly other effects (Snake Swiftness, TWF, etc) it is really useful, it might be on the higher scale of power/optimization level so this isn't nessesarilly that useful for all games. It is also much less cheesier than Persisting it but YMMV.

Wings of cover is a great defensive spell and IIRC it isn't dependant on CL so a wand is also a good option for this spell.

Note: This assumes the ruling from Rules compendium that all wands have the same action costs as the spell originally had.

Greyfeld85
2012-05-19, 04:09 PM
Endure Elements (Lv. 1 Cleric, Druid, Paladin, Ranger, Wiz/Sorc, Sun Domain)
Nerveskitter (Lv. 1 Wizard/Sorcerer)
Alarm (Lv. 1 Bard, Ranger, Wiz/Sorc)
Disguise Self (Lv. 1 Bard, Wiz/Sorc, Trickery Domain)
Detect Thoughts (Lv. 2 Bard, Wiz/Sorc, Knowledge Domain)
Knock (Lv. 2 Wiz/Sorc)
Tongues (Lv. 2 Bard, Lv. 3 Wiz/Sorc, Lv. 4 Cleric)
Gentle Repose (Lv. 2 Cleric, Lv. 3 Wiz/Sorc)
Water Breathing (Lv. 3 Cleric, Druid, Wiz/Sorc, Water Domain)

Some of these spells are best as an Eternal Wand, rather than a regular wand (such as Alarm), since you should only need them once per day.

Invader
2012-05-19, 04:10 PM
Ebon Eyes works great if used with the blacklight spell (FRCS) if you assume that it allows you to see through blacklight from outside the effected area.

Regardless, blacklight is also a great spell for your list.

Slipperychicken
2012-05-19, 04:37 PM
Blockade can be good if you get into a tight area and need a passageway blocked while you buff or flee. Cast, re-cast when the duration expires.

Shrink Item, even at the bare minimum CL, gets you ten cubic feet for 5 days. See those big 10ft thick, 10ft wide Adamantium doors with unbeatable locks your newbie GM put down so you wouldn't ignore his puzzle? They're all yours now, to be sold for WBL-smashing oodles of cash.
Also, the spell is laughably easy to weaponize: find giant dense thing, drop it on enemy.

EDIT: Math failure.

Aeryr
2012-05-19, 05:12 PM
Faith healing can be really handy, if most of the party reveres the same God. It is a level 1 spell that heals 9hp, it will take you out of the negatives.

Shock and awe, -10 to the initiative of an enemy, no save, but needs to be casted before the enemy acts. Depending on the initiative rolls of the party can be helpful.

Invader
2012-05-19, 05:56 PM
Blockade can be good if you get into a tight area and need a passageway blocked while you buff or flee. Cast, re-cast when the duration expires.

Shrink Item, even at the bare minimum CL, gets you ten cubic feet for 5 days. See those big 10ft thick, 10ft wide Adamantium doors with unbeatable locks your newbie GM put down so you wouldn't ignore his puzzle? They're all yours now, to be sold for WBL-smashing oodles of cash.
Also, the spell is laughably easy to weaponize: find giant dense thing, drop it on enemy.

And just like that I added a wand of shrink item to my inventory lol.

Spuddles
2012-05-19, 06:05 PM
Improvisational Boost is great in wand form for anything with bardic music.

Invisibility and grease, especially for low level rogues.

Invisibility, yes; Grease, no, too expensive if you want it to last more than a round.

Newbie mistake- confusing cubic feet and 10 foot cubes.

Mnemnosyne
2012-05-19, 06:48 PM
Improvisational Boost is great in wand form for anything with bardic music.

Invisibility, yes; Grease, no, too expensive if you want it to last more than a round.

I was going to say, grease doesn't seem all that useful in wand even for a rogue, because you'd use a standard action to cast it, and by the time your turn comes up again it's expired so that even if the opponent was flat-footed, he won't be for your sneak attack.

Also, yeah, the described doors are 1000 cubic feet, not 10 cubic feet, so you'd need a caster level of 500 in order to do that. That'd be one expensive wand. Even an average door (3 ft. wide, 7 ft. high, 2 inches thick) is 3.5 cubic feet, if my math is right. Granted, that might still be useful...but I doubt Shrink Item is useful often enough to make it a wand. That's more of a scroll spell, I would say.

nedz
2012-05-19, 07:10 PM
Faith healing can be really handy, if most of the party reveres the same God. It is a level 1 spell that heals 9hp, it will take you out of the negatives.

Faith healing is a maximised cure light wounds so 9-13 HP, dependant upon CL, so most likely 9HP on a wand. Trouble is it only works on followers of the casters god. This might be a bit tricky on a wand.

Lesser Vigour has no such restriction, and cures 11-15 HP, so 11 HP at CL 1.

Mnemnosyne
2012-05-19, 07:36 PM
I can see the usefulness of an instant heal for in-combat situations, but faith healing seems too situational, since it is in my experience, pretty uncommon for the entire party to follow the same god - it's not even all that common to have more than one party member following the same god.

Anyway, updated to add sorcerer/wizard spells. Still not sure about Ebon Eyes, and I didn't see blacklight but I'll have to look that one up.

If anyone thinks any of the spells I DO have on the list shouldn't be there, feel free to mention that too.

Slipperychicken
2012-05-19, 07:36 PM

Not so much of a newbie, but math's never been my strong suit :smallannoyed:

Spuddles
2012-05-19, 07:56 PM
I can see the usefulness of an instant heal for in-combat situations, but faith healing seems too situational, since it is in my experience, pretty uncommon for the entire party to follow the same god - it's not even all that common to have more than one party member following the same god.

That's why everyone gets a wand created by a follower of their Deity :smallbiggrin:

nedz
2012-05-19, 08:26 PM
That's why everyone gets a wand created by a follower of their Deity :smallbiggrin:

Right so Fred falls over.
There is then a mad scramble to find Fred's personal wand.
ZAP
No Effect.
"Damm, wrong Wand !"

ericgrau
2012-05-19, 09:20 PM
If you only use it a couple times like comprehend languages, it goes better on scrolls. For full casters wands fill that narrow niche of things you use situationally (so it's not worth preparing) and yet half a dozen times when you do. Like invisibility. Other classes OTOH use them in place of spells and get more use out of them.

In either case you normally pick things without a save or with a good effect even on a passed save.

Invader
2012-05-19, 09:27 PM
Blacklight Wiz 3/Sorc 3

The caster creates an area of total darkness. The darkness is impenetrable to normal vision and darkvision, but the caster can see normally within the blacklit area. Creatures outside the spell’s area, even the caster, cannot see through it.

The spell can be cast on a point in space, but the effect is stationary cast on a mobile object. A character can cast the spell on a creature, and the effect then radiates from the creature and moves as it moves. Unattended objects and points in space do not get saving throws or benefit from spell resistance.

Blacklight counters or dispels any light spell of equal or lower level. The 3rd-level cleric spell daylight counters or dispels blacklight.

If you can't find 1000 handy uses for total darkness you're not trying hard enough lol.

nedz
2012-05-19, 10:41 PM
Silence Cleric 2/Bard 2

Invader
2012-05-19, 11:29 PM
Entangle always comes in handy for groups of enemies even if they make the save/check for moving.

Mnemnosyne
2012-05-21, 01:07 PM
Updated with more classes and 2nd level for clerics.

Also, am I right in thinking that if a character has Sanctum Spell, they can make a CL2 wand of a 2nd level spell, or a CL1 wand of a bard/paladin/ranger spell, to save on costs, since that allows them to get a spell down below the normal minimum caster level?

Bahamut Omega
2012-05-21, 02:43 PM
Mass Snake's Swiftness from the SC is a great druid spell. I think it's a 2nd level for a Druid and 3rd for Wizard. Give up your standard action to give everyone in your party a free attack.

As a druid, I used to use this to give my dire wolverine another bite, our fighter another power attack, our rogue another sneak attack, and for what it was worth, our sorcerer another shot with the crossbow.

What's nice about this over Haste is that your allies don't need to be in position to make a full attack. If they charged previously and are now adjacent to an enemy, that's all they need to take a swing. If they have a ranged weapon, it's even better. Once they are in position, though, you should probably cast Haste.

erikun
2012-05-21, 02:46 PM
Good spells for wands are ones that are situation, useful, out-of-combat, with a good/instanteous duration, and with no saving throw. Ones with round/level duration generally last too shortly, ones with saving throws are generally resisted, and ones for combat are generally less than ideal for pulling out a wand and using it.

Cleric wands are less useful that wizard wands, because a cleric can easily modify their spell list to fit a given encounter. Hide from Undead might sound like a good idea, but by the time you dig it out of your bag and start using it, the undead already long know you are there. Conversely, if you know you'll be running across undead to hide from, a cleric would just prepare the spell ahead of time.

Anyways, here's a few I think you missed:
Detect Magic
Ghost Sound
Light
Mage Hand
Mending
Read Magic
Cantrips/orisons are probably more useful to the party rogue than anyone else, as most others have enough 0th level spell slots to prepare a few. Still, 375g each isn't much for a lot of handy utility spells from a generally non-magical class. Note that a gnome illusionist could probably add Silent Image to the list above.

Magic Weapon can be handy, depending on the situation. It's definitely a lot cheaper than Greater Magic Weapon in a wand, and can ensure that you're never without a magical weapon. On the other hand, it is probably far better for a sorcerer or paladin, who then doesn't need to memorize the spell or could use it early, in the case of the paladin. The same applies to Magic Fang and the ranger.

Protection from Alignment means that summoned creatures can't attack you with natural weapons and that spells like Suggestion just fail to do anything, which is good enough even without the +2 AC that you'll likely get.

Remove Paralysis and Lesser Restoration are two spells that I'd expect most adventuring parties to make repeated use of. Darkness can be okay. Zone of Truth, Make Whole and Delay Poison can also be handy, in the right situations.

Shield is +4 AC and immunity to Magic Missiles for 1 minute. Silent Image can always have a use, just so long as you aren't provoking saving throws.

Edit

Also, am I right in thinking that if a character has Sanctum Spell, they can make a CL2 wand of a 2nd level spell, or a CL1 wand of a bard/paladin/ranger spell, to save on costs, since that allows them to get a spell down below the normal minimum caster level?
Even if it is, I would not assume that CL2 2nd-level spells as a norm. Your DM might allow it, but just like 0th-level Silent Image wands, it is reasonable to mention that they might not be available.

Edit again
Some good 3rd level spells include Create Food and Water, Remove Blindness/Deafness, Remove Curse, Remove Disease, Speak with Dead, Stone Shape, Water Breathing, and Water Walk.

Daylight, Deeper Darkness, and Magic Circle against Alignment can be useful as well.

Glyph of Warding can be handy, as you can put your own spell on the ward using your own save DC, but the +10,000 gp price due to material components is probably a bit much. Note that 3rd level wands are getting a bit pricy at this point, at 11250g apiece, and so aren't likely that good of a deal unless you're crafting them yourself.

eggs
2012-05-21, 04:57 PM
I often use wand chambers of various swift, 1-round "Boost-" type spells -
Rhino's Rush - Wrath 1. Double damage on a charge.
Critical Strike - Wiz1. 1d6+Improved+Power Critical for a round is good value for Rogues, even if it only lasts about a level.
Swift Invisibility - Ass 2. Low price for its utility and defensive power.
Spellslayer Arrow - Rng 2. 1d4 damage for every spell effect affecting a target. Not huge damage, but for its cost, its damage boosts become very meaningful at high levels. Unfortunately, it probably wasn't intended to ignore SR.
Lion's Charge - Rng 2. Pounce for 6k gp. Not too bad.
Wraithstrike - Wiz 2. For one round, you hit. Very strong for its price tag.
Swift Fly - Wiz 2. Duration is limiting, but it's flight for very cheap.
Whirling Blade - Wiz 2. Ranged attack for melee attackers with a high mental stat.
Permeable Form - Wiz 3. Immediate incorporeality. Very powerful defense/utility even at high levels, despite relatively high price.
Arrowsplit - Rng 3. 1d4 extra arrows during ranged attack. Relatively high price tag, but sizable damage increase.

And Blinding Spittle, but it requires its user feel ashamed for using it.
(That's probably in the errata.)

EDIT:
And I don't see Resurgence. It's a very cheap effect that can cure just about any nasty status effect, even replacing relatively expensive cures, like Bestow Curse.

Invader
2012-05-21, 05:06 PM
Mass Snake's Swiftness from the SC is a great druid spell. I think it's a 2nd level for a Druid and 3rd for Wizard. Give up your standard action to give everyone in your party a free attack.

As a druid, I used to use this to give my dire wolverine another bite, our fighter another power attack, our rogue another sneak attack, and for what it was worth, our sorcerer another shot with the crossbow.

What's nice about this over Haste is that your allies don't need to be in position to make a full attack. If they charged previously and are now adjacent to an enemy, that's all they need to take a swing. If they have a ranged weapon, it's even better. Once they are in position, though, you should probably cast Haste.

Definitely this one. This is one of my most used spells at any level.

Spuddles
2012-05-21, 07:50 PM
Improvisational Boost, for bards, from SpC, is great for wands. Maybe an eternal wand, if you don't get into too many discrete encounters a day.

Downysole
2012-05-25, 02:09 PM
I agree with many of the previous posters that your wand list is too long for those once-in-a-while spells that you really don't need to cast 50 times.

Granted, if you were to cast a spell 50 times, a wand is more cost-effective than a scroll (if you use 30 level 1 scrolls, it costs the same as a level 1 wand), but I have only burnt through ONE, count it, ONE wand 100% in all of the time I've been playing DnD.

Which brings me to my final item, Lesser Restoration needs to be in that list for any time you're going to be going through an undead-themed campaign, or really any time that you're going to be facing something that can drain stats or cause fatigue.