PDA

View Full Version : Help me find an anime for a trip

Silverraptor
2012-05-19, 07:57 PM
In about a week, I will be taking a 22 hour train ride, + or - 2 hours depending on any unpredictability. So, I need to find something to entertain me as I make this trip. So, I was wondering if anyone out there have any anime's they would recommend for me to watch so I can pass the time.

If you could all put it down in this format:

Name: Pretty explainitory
Genre: Tell me a little about the plot, but not enough to give anything away.
Age group: Is it aimed for pre-teen, teens, or mature audiences that like 28 gallons of blood.
English dub?: Yes or no. I would like to know if there is no english dub version then spend an hour or 2 trying to find one. Also, let me know if the english dub is good or not compared to its original dubbed version.

So yeah, anything anyone suggests is good. And thanks in advance for any suggestions you all give me.:smallsmile:

Dr.Epic
2012-05-19, 08:12 PM
Gurren Lagann
Sci-fi mechs
for teens
there is an English dub and I think even all the episodes are on youtube. and not like bootlegs either. like the studio that distributes it put it on youtube

Ninjadeadbeard
2012-05-19, 09:04 PM
Darker than Black
Sci-Fi/Fantasy: Two meteorites land on the earth, one in Japan and one in Brazil, somehow causing all the stars in the sky to vanish, leaving strange false-stars. Each star now represents the life of a Contractor, a person granted supernatural powers. These powers come at a price however (hence, Contracts) unique to each Contractor. Contractors also have no conscience, leading them to work as spies and assassins. (Seriously, awesome show!)
for Mature audiences
Funimation dubbed and whole series freely posted on Youtube by them. The second series (Gemini of the Meteor) used to have the Dub, but they took it down so there's just the (inferior) Sub.

Oltharius
2012-05-19, 09:41 PM
I don't know what you've seen, so I guess I'll just post some of my favorites.

Azumanga Daioh:
Slice-of-life comedy.
For teens.
Yes, though I'd go with the Japanese dub. The accent they gave English Osaka is annoying.

Code Geass:
Mecha, tough it's more focused on character/plot development than battles.
I'm pretty sure it's aimed at teens, but it does explore some more mature themes.
Yes.

Cowboy Bebop:
Sci-fi/Western.
It's pretty well mature.
Yes.

Cromartie High School:
Slice-of-life comedy, with a focus on sheer absurdism.
For teens.
Yes.

Midori no Hibi:
Slice-of-life comedy/romance.
In Japan, it's for teens, but the nudity would make it mature here.
I don't believe there is.

Ouran High School Host Club:
For teens.

Strawberry Panic:
Yuri romance.
In Japan, it's for teens, but the nudity would make it mature here.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya:
Slice-of-life comedy.
For teens.
Yes, and I'd suggest it over the Japanese dub. English Kyon is just so much drier and more sardonic, making him much more enjoyable.

Trigun:
Sci-fi/Western.
I'm pretty sure it's aimed at teens, but it does explore some more mature themes.
Yes.

I'd also like to add that for the aforementioned Gurren Lagann, I'd go for the Japanese dub. The Japanese VAs are much more energetic, especially Kamina.

CarpeGuitarrem
2012-05-20, 02:30 AM
Ehehehehe...you're taking a train? Well, then, there is only one suggestion to make...

Name: BACCANO!
Genre: 1920s romp featuring American gangsters on a cross-country train ride that quickly goes south. It's got a very chaotic but paradoxically follow-able plot that's told out of order. It sounds like a mess...and it is, a truly delightful mess. Lots of characters, crazy plot, and a story that's not unlike a racing big band number.
Age group: Mature audiences. There's quite a lot of blood, and some graphic violence.
English dub?: Yes, and very preferable IMO. The dubbers have a lot of fun with various accents.

The music is also superb. Oh, and the vids are all up on YouTube/Hulu officially.

Manga Shoggoth
2012-05-20, 08:15 AM
If you are doing a journey it is worth looking at a series, possibly with one or two films to break things up.

Name: Dai Guard (~11.25 hrs)
Genre: The world (or, at least, Japan) is being attacked by the mysterious Hetrodyne. Standing against them are the crew of Dai-Guard, also known as the publicity division of 21st Centuary Defense. Light humour with some more serious bits.
Age group: Teen and up (my DVDs are rated PG and 12).
English dub?: Yes (bilingual DVD). Actually, the dub is quite good.

Name: Rune Soldier (~10 hrs)
Genre: A group of female adventurers (effectively a fighter, cleric and thief) need a mage at short notice. Unfortunately what they get is Louie: Son of the Chief Mage, and more interested in punching the enemy out. Oh yes, and the priestesses God tells her that Louie is the hero she is supposed to serve... Humour (mostly) and fantasy.
Age group: Teen and up PG
English dub?: Yes (bilingual DVD), but I haven't paid too much attention to it.

Name: Fruits Basket (~10.5 hrs)
Genre: The recently-orphaned Honda Toru ends up living with members of the Soma family. Some members of the family are under a curse, so Toru has to spend her time running inteference. Light romance, some humour, some fighting. In places quite a lot of fighting. The last couple of episodes get a little dark
Age group: Teen and up PG
English dub?: Yes (bilingual DVD), and a surprisingly good one as well. They even redubbed the opening and closing songs and did a really good job of it.

EDIT: If you like slice-of-life, Asumanga Daioh (as detailed in a previous post) is very good, plus each episode comes in 10-minute "chunks" (they were originally short cartoons broadcast Monday-Friday, and then compiled). As there is no overarching plot you can watch bits of it between other things.

Sith_Happens
2012-05-20, 05:08 PM
Ehehehehe...you're taking a train? Well, then, there is only one suggestion to make...

Genre: 1920s romp featuring American gangsters on a cross-country train ride that quickly goes south. It's got a very chaotic but paradoxically follow-able plot that's told out of order. It sounds like a mess...and it is, a truly delightful mess. Lots of characters, crazy plot, and a story that's not unlike a racing big band number.
Age group: Mature audiences. There's quite a lot of blood, and some graphic violence.
English dub?: Yes, and very preferable IMO. The dubbers have a lot of fun with various accents.

The music is also superb. Oh, and the vids are all up on YouTube/Hulu officially.

Seconding this. It's also sixteen episode series, so you can watch the whole thing in one go and still have plenty of time for another series or two.

Sanguine
2012-05-20, 06:42 PM
Ouran High School Host Club:
For teens.

There is actually an english dub, and quite a good one in fact, though I haven't seen both versions close enough together to make a call on which is better. Though it is mildly annoying that they pronounce Hikaru wrong.

Oltharius
2012-05-20, 06:54 PM
There is actually an english dub, and quite a good one in fact, though I haven't seen both versions close enough together to make a call on which is better. Though it is mildly annoying that they pronounce Hikaru wrong.
There is? I wish I knew that earlier. :P

Silverraptor
2012-05-21, 07:55 PM
Thank you for all the suggestions so far guys. I'll make note of all of them, and any more will be appreciated as well.

I was planning on watching Cardcaptors on the way over, since I saw a few episodes as a kid but due to bad timing couldn't see most of it. However, I briefly watched episode 1 the other day and now I'm on 44 and can't stop. I made this thread on episode 6, since I knew I wasn't going to stop by that point.:smallbiggrin:

Eldan
2012-05-21, 11:26 PM
Paranoia Agent is very trippy.

(Sorry, sorry. I apologize :smalltongue: )

SamBurke
2012-05-21, 11:50 PM
Death Note.

Plot: The touching story of a boy, his god complex, ancient demons of lore, and the pursuit of justice.

If you like stories that are just plain well written, episodes that are so good you don't know when one ends and the next begins, because you've just been pulled along by the story, go with Death Note.

Audiences: It *could* be watched as young as twelve, but it has some very deep, dark, themes running. Good food for thought.

English Dub: Yup. On YouTube legally, and pretty stinking decent. Sounds like it was written for it, though.

Overall, it's one of the animes that any good fan of Japanimation will have to watch sometime. Just fantastic.

Silverraptor
2012-05-22, 12:42 AM
Death Note.

Plot: The touching story of a boy, his god complex, ancient demons of lore, and the pursuit of justice.

If you like stories that are just plain well written, episodes that are so good you don't know when one ends and the next begins, because you've just been pulled along by the story, go with Death Note.

Audiences: It *could* be watched as young as twelve, but it has some very deep, dark, themes running. Good food for thought.

English Dub: Yup. On YouTube legally, and pretty stinking decent. Sounds like it was written for it, though.

Overall, it's one of the animes that any good fan of Japanimation will have to watch sometime. Just fantastic.

And, this is the first posted anime in this thread that I have already seen. I loved the show when L was the main challenge. But then when M and N came in, it sort of went 'meh'.

Oltharius
2012-05-22, 04:24 AM
And, this is the first posted anime in this thread that I have already seen. I loved the show when L was the main challenge. But then when M and N came in, it sort of went 'meh'.
I have to disagree. It didn't become "meh;" it became "crap." I may have loved the first 25 episodes, but those last 12 were just awful. That's why I didn't list it in my post. I couldn't in good conscience recommend it when only 2/3rds of it is actually good.

Hopeless
2012-05-24, 06:14 AM
Name: Full Metal Panic
Genre: Science fiction with some mechs, military types and high school hijinx
Age group: Not sure probably 10+
English dub: Yes

Set in a modern world where people called the whispered exist who unconsciously possess access to extraordinary levels of high tech knowledge including the mechs seen in the series.
A mercenary outfit called MITHRIL is intent on protecting these people and also fight terrorists and tyrannical governements intent on abusing the people and the technology they're capable of revealing.
The series starts off introducing the three military characters who are military consisting of a female sergeant in command of her until with an American sniper with a liking for drink and girls and their pointman is a former child guerilla fighter whose military training makes for a remarkable series of comical hijinx when he's assigned to protect a suspected whispered whose a school girl thats being targetted by his nemesis.
His inability to cope with normal life and the insane actions he accomplishes to protect his charge who is just as capable at kicking his backside might be a little too much information...

Has two sequels the first Full Metal Panic Fumoffu is more comedy orientated whilst Full Metal Panic Second Raid is an actual sequel to the first series.

I guess it depends on what you like to watch...

Yora
2012-05-24, 10:05 AM
Pretty much everything that has been labled as "for teens" also works very well for "30-somthings with a laid back sense of humor".

Maxios
2012-05-24, 11:13 AM
The only anime I watched that wasn't made just for kids (read as: Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh):
Dragonball Z
Genre: Action
Age Group: 12+ (some blood, cursing)
Summary: A human-like alien martial punches the crap out of other aliens, clones, demons, and whatever Buu was.

Terraoblivion
2012-05-24, 11:52 AM
I hate to disappoint you, while it wasn't made for little kids Dragonball Z was still aimed at late preteen to early teen boys. I'm pretty sure that counts as kids in most places. :smalltongue:

Silverraptor
2012-05-24, 02:08 PM
The only anime I watched that wasn't made just for kids (read as: Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh):
Dragonball Z
Genre: Action
Age Group: 12+ (some blood, cursing)
Summary: A human-like alien martial punches the crap out of other aliens, clones, demons, and whatever Buu was.

I hate to disappoint you, while it wasn't made for little kids Dragonball Z was still aimed at late preteen to early teen boys. I'm pretty sure that counts as kids in most places. :smalltongue:
Yeah, I remember watching that show when I was 5. And I already watched it, and I'm currently watching TFS abridged series. But thanks for the suggestion.:smallsmile:

Fawkes
2012-05-24, 02:44 PM
animes are dumb why would anyone watch animes

in twenty two hours you could watch the entire award winning groundbreaking cartoon series ProStars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ProStars) three or four times

Eldan
2012-05-24, 04:55 PM
animes are dumb why would anyone watch animes

in twenty two hours you could watch the entire award winning groundbreaking cartoon series ProStars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ProStars) three or four times

All American cartoons are dumb, why would you ever watch American cartoons. Seriously, I watched both Dumbo and the animated Lord of the Rings, I can tell that all American cartoons are stupid.

Silverraptor
2012-05-24, 05:49 PM
Please don't turn this thread into "X is a dumb show".:smallsigh:

Pokonic
2012-05-24, 07:24 PM
Well, there is always FLCL, that can be pretty.... Oh.

A actual trip, not a trip trip.:smallbiggrin: Ahh. In that case, have you seen Cowboy Bebop yet? Always makes for a nice view, and not to many episodes to boot.

SlyGuyMcFly
2012-05-26, 12:30 PM

So very thirded.

Asheram
2012-05-26, 12:55 PM

Can you fourth something? Then Fourthed!

Name: Full Metal Panic
Genre: Science fiction with some mechs, military types and high school hijinx
Age group: Not sure probably 10+
English dub: Yes

Seconded. (Won't harm you to bring a second series along)

Oh, and I recommend watching the subs... but then again I'm always pro-sub no matter what the original language is.

Ravens_cry
2012-05-26, 01:42 PM
If you are doing a journey it is worth looking at a series, possibly with one or two films to break things up.

Name: Dai Guard (~11.25 hrs)
Genre: The world (or, at least, Japan) is being attacked by the mysterious Hetrodyne. Standing against them are the crew of Dai-Guard, also known as the publicity division of 21st Centuary Defense. Light humour with some more serious bits.
Age group: Teen and up (my DVDs are rated PG and 12).
English dub?: Yes (bilingual DVD). Actually, the dub is quite good.
s.

Worth pointing out it's a mecha show, but goes into some of the reasons why the actual logistics of a massive mecha would be prohibitive at best.
I enjoyed it.

Lord Loss
2012-05-26, 03:08 PM
Name: Code Geass
Genre: A brilliant teen gains the power to use Geass, which allows him to force others to follow his will. He uses this ability in an attempt to bring down the powerful Britannian Empire. Has mecha, focuses on characters and is very humorous at times. Has brought me close to tears a couple of times. 24 episodes divided into two seasons. Similar to Death Note in many ways.
English dub: Yes, on youtube and on DubHappy (probably other places too). I'm pretty suret he youtube dubs are legal, but I'm not sure. The quality is pretty good, in my opinion.

Manga Shoggoth
2012-05-28, 04:45 AM
Worth pointing out it's a mecha show, but goes into some of the reasons why the actual logistics of a massive mecha would be prohibitive at best.
I enjoyed it.

Indeed. It is one of the things that really makes the series tick.

(Also, thirded Full Metal Panic, although I haven't seen The Second Raid).

Kato
2012-05-28, 05:48 AM
I enjoyed it.

I loved that show. I think it's far too unknown for how well they balanced the serious and the humorous bits... I guess it lacks the great moments of awesome because it is much more realistic than Gurann Lagann or Code Geass but still so much fun.

Ah, that intro... For anyone interested. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch8Zq10_luA)