PDA

View Full Version : Be a Man! (3.5 base class)

Techwarrior
2012-05-19, 09:47 PM
This was inspired for the Be a Man! feats (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12384974) by NeoSeraphi.

The Masculine Warrior

Some warriors are manly. Some are really manly. Then there are some who exude an aura of manliness so great that other men feel like their manliness is womanly in comparison.

Game Rule Information
Hit Dice: d10
Skills per level: 4+Int
Skills: Balance, Bluff, Climb, Craft, Diplomacy, Disguise, Escape Artist, Gather Information, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (local), Listen, Move Silently, Perform, Profession, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Spot, Swim, Tumble, Use Rope

{table=head]
Level |
Base Attack Bonus |
Fortitude |
Reflex |
Will |
Class Features

1 | 1 | 2 | 2 | 0 | Unarmed Strike |
2 | 2 | 3 | 3 | 0 | Bonus Feat |
3 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 1 | Masculinity |
4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 1 | Swift as a Coursing River |
5 | 5 | 4 | 4 | 1 | Force of a Great Typhoon |
6 | 6/1 | 5 | 5 | 2 | Bonus Feat |
7 | 7/2 | 5 | 5 | 2 | Strength of a Raging Fire |
8 | 8/3 | 6 | 6 | 2 | Mysterious as the Dark Side of the Moon |
9 | 9/4 | 6 | 6 | 3 | Evasion |
10 | 10/5 | 7 | 7 | 3 | Bonus Feat |
11 | 11/6/1 | 7 | 7 | 3 | Be a Man! |
12 | 12/7/2 | 8 | 8 | 4 | Greater Masculinity |
13 | 13/8/3 | 8 | 8 | 4 | Cat-Like Reflexes |
14 | 14/9/4 | 9 | 9 | 4 | Bonus Feat |
15 | 15/10/5 | 9 | 9 | 5 | Be Even More a Man |
16 | 16/11/6/1 | 10 | 10 | 5 | Sharpened Reflexes |
17 | 17/12/7/2 | 10 | 10 | 5 | Macho |
18 | 18/13/8/3 | 11 | 11 | 6 | Bonus Feat |
19 | 19/14/9/4 | 11 | 11 | 6 | Razor Sharp Reflexes |
20 | 20/15/10/5 | 12 | 12 | 6 | Be an Extraordinary Man |
[/table]

Class Features:
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Stealthy Warrior is proficient with all simple and martial weapons. A Masculine Warrior is proficient with light armor, but not with shields.
Fighter’s Edge: A Masculine Warrior counts as a fighter of half his Masculine Warrior level rounded down when meeting prerequisites. Effective levels granted by this class feature stack with actual fighter levels.
Unarmed Strike: A Masculine Warrior gains the Improved Unarmed Strike feat as a bonus feat.
If a Masculine Warrior takes the Supreme Unarmed Strike, the feat grants different damage bonuses than normal, this damage supercedes all benefits granted from both the Supreme Unarmed Strike feat and all increases to a Masculine Warrior's fist damage dice granted from Force of a Great Typhoon and its improved versions.

{table=head]
Masculine Warrior Level |
Unarmed Strike Damage
3 | 1d4 |
4 | 1d6 |
5-7 | 1d8 |
8-9 | 1d10 |
10-11 | 2d6 |
12-14 | 2d8 |
15 | 2d10 |
16-20 | 2d12 |
[/table]

Bonus Feats: At 2nd level and every 4 levels after that, a Masculine Warrior gains a feat picked from the list of fighter bonus feats.
Masculinity (ex): At 3rd level a Masculine Warrior gains a +2 competence bonus to all Charisma checks made to influence humanoid males.
Swift as a Coursing River: A Masculine Warrior gains Swift as a Coursing River as a bonus feat at 4th level, even if he does not meet the prerequisites.
Force of a Great Typhoon: A 5th Masculine Warrior gains Force of a Great Typhoon as a bonus feat.
Strength of a Raging Fire: A 7th level Masculine Warrior gains Strength of a Raging Fire as a bonus feat. He need not meet the prerequisites. If he does not have the Improved Sunder feat, his sunder attempts do not provoke attacks of opportunity.
Evasion (ex): At 9h level, a Masculine Warrior can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the ranger is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless character does not gain the benefit of evasion.
Be a Man: A 11th level Masculine Warrior gains Be a Man! as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites.
Greater Masculinity (ex): The bonus granted from Masculinity is now a +2 untyped bonus.
Cat-Like Reflexes (ex): A Masculine Warrior of 13th level or higher gains a +2 insight bonus to initiative checks
Be Even More A Man (ex): A Masculine Warrior of 15th level gains additional bonuses from your Be a Man! feats.
• Swift as a Coursing River: You gain an additional 10 movement speed
• Force of a Great Typhoon: Your unarmed strike damage increases an additional size. In addition, unlike a normal person. You're fists are incredibly masculine, and have a threat range of 19-20. This is a change in the actual threat range, so a Masculine Warrior with improved critical (unarmed strike) has a threat range of 17-20
• Strength of a Raging Fire: When making a sunder attempt with at least a -5 penalty from Power Attack, your critical multiplier is 1 higher.
• Mysterious as the Dark Side of the Moon: You gain a 3rd attempt at Hide and move silently checks.
Sharp Reflexes (ex): A Masculine Warrior of 16th level or higher gains a +3 insight bonus to initiative checks.
Macho (ex): A 17th level Masculine Warrior who makes a successful Intimidate check to demoralize a humanoid male makes the man panicked instead of shaken. In addition, being immune to fear does not protect a humanoid male from a Masculine Warrior’s Intimidation
Razor Sharp Reflexes (ex): A Masculine Warrior of 19th level gains a +4 insight bonus to initiative checks
Be an Extraordinary Man (ex): When around a 20th level Masculine Warrior, even the manliest of men question their masculinity. Men (humanoid males) within 30 feet of you are shaken unless they succeed at a will save DC 10 + 1/2 Masculine Warrior class level + charisma modifier. Immunity to fear does not make a man immune to this class ability. If a man makes a successful will save the man becomes immune to the fear effect of this Masculine Warrior for ten minutes. A Masculine Warrior may choose to not affect people at his discretion. An unconscious Masculine Warrior does not give off this aura, and all men who were affected by this aura have this effect removed from them.In addition, you gain additional benefits from your Be a Man! feats.
• Swift as a Coursing River: You gain an additional 10 movement.
• Force of a Great Typhoon: Your unarmed strike damage increases a third size. In addition, your fists hit with the force of a real man. Your base multiplier for your fists is x3 instead of x2.
• Strength of a Raging Fire: When making a sunder attempt with at least a -10 penalty from Power Attack, your critical multiplier is 2 higher. (this includes the bonus from Be Even More a Man)
• Mysterious as the Dark Side of the Moon: You gain Hide in Plain Sight as a Shadowdancer

The Crash Man
2012-05-19, 10:26 PM
Everything seems well except for one thing.

Why would a warrior so manly only have +15 BAB. That's for little womanly rogues and bards. A REAL MAN would have a full 20 BAB.

Techwarrior
2012-05-19, 10:55 PM
Everything seems well except for one thing.

Why would a warrior so manly only have +15 BAB. That's for little womanly rogues and bards. A REAL MAN would have a full 20 BAB.

Wasn't sure if the abilities I'd given it would make 20 BAB overpowered.

And you're looking at it backwards. A warrior this manly doesn't NEED 20 BAB :smallamused:

Then again, full BAB would make more sense, and I'm not entirely sure why I thought this would make it overpowered... changed for full bab

Amechra
2012-05-20, 01:13 AM
A vaguely optimized female character walks up to him and kicks him in the crotch. He's down for the count!

Sorry, I had to.

Daverin
2012-05-20, 06:42 AM
Well, if he's a real man, he should have, wait for it... BALLS OF STEEEL!!!

(No, seriously, that could be, like, immunity to crits.) :smalltongue:

paddyfool
2012-05-20, 06:45 AM
Could do with a "Man Up" ability (something like Iron Heart Surge, but just for mind-affecting conditions).

Sypher667
2012-05-20, 09:01 AM
I'm surprised this guy doesnt have an unarmed strike damage progression beyond the size increases. Due to those, you can get away with something slower than the monk's, but at least something would be nice.

But, aside from that, I now need to show this to my DM and ask permission. Nicely done.

Techwarrior
2012-05-20, 11:52 PM
Daverin: The class already grants... 5 fighter bonus feats and 6 other feats. Not to mention the increases to 4 of those feats, and all of its other bonuses (insight bonus to initaitive, the vs. men stuff, evasion) I'm pretty sure granting outright immunity to criticals, even at 20, would be OP on top of what it's got already. I really wish I could justify adding it though, as it definitely fits the idea
Amechra: Some of the flavor is actually specifically designed for
Paddyfool: I don't know what Iron Heart Surge does, so couldn't implement it without an explanation.
Sypher667: If you're really gunning for unarmed strike damage for this, take one of your feats and snag Supreme Unarmed Strike (http://dndtools.eu/feats/tome-of-battle-the-book-of-nine-swords--88/superior-unarmed-strike--2844/). The way the die steps stack, you actually get farther ahead than a monk.
At cap:
Supreme Unarmed Strike+Strength of a Raging Fire+capstone= 2d6 increased 3 sizes
2d6 -> 3d6 -> 4d6 -> 6d6
Monk at 20th
2d10
In addition, Masculine Warrior bypasses ALL dr. Monk only hits lawful, adamantine, and magic
This does not actually include a monk taking supreme unarmed strike, but you've got more feats to toss than a monk.
You could instead use those feats on 'real' weapons, at which point you're only doing 1d8 damage with an unarmed strike.
Whoa I think I need to figure out how to make that number smaller.. that's a lot. 1d8 to 6d6 is not something a single feat should be capable of doing, even at 20th.. especially on top of the maximized effect from Be a Man!

Ok, changed the way Force of a Great Typhoon and superior unarmed strike stack, now gives 2d12 when they stack instead, in addition, added to the critical capabilities of a fist with this class.

Let me know how it goes, I've tried to make it balanced as a whole, but admittedly it is much more feat intensive at the beginning then at the end.

thewillofbob
2012-05-21, 08:05 AM
Once per encounter, may decree "I am a man!" and gain doubled strength for the rest of the round, provided he punch someone.
In other words: I AM A MAN! *punch*

Daverin
2012-05-21, 09:23 PM
I'd argue that, given how a crit is something that neither you nor the DM should necessarily "prepare" for being the reason for a major wipe, I'm not sure it is really that bad. Honestly I don't think too many monsters focus on critical strikes , and a DM who threw in some crit-based NPCs would do so knowing what the class could do. In short, it is flavorful and save your life when you get unlucky, but I think it is a uncommon enough (and arguably unfun enough) case that I'd not call it overpowered. Just my thoughts, though.

Also, maybe something to do with "I am man, hear me roar!"