PDA

View Full Version : ravages, (BoED) and the undead

Moginheden
2012-05-19, 10:52 PM
I'm considering getting the feat "Touch of Golden Ice" on my Monk. We are in an undead-heavy campaign. Another player brought up the point that undead are normally immune to stat damage so I decided to do some research.

All undead have the Special Quality "Undead Traits" that includes, (among others, monster manual page 317) these 2 points:
—Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, and death effects.
—Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, or energy drain. Immune to damage to its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), as well as to fatigue and exhaustion effects.

The Ravages section of the book of exalted deeds (page 35) says:
"Besides the curative abilities of clerics and paladins, the powers of good have their own answer to poison and disease: ravages and afflictions, magical traumas that turn the moral corruption of evil creatures into physical corruption that wracks their bodies. Ravages and afflictions affect only evil creatures, and are particularly debilitating to evil outsiders—despite the immunity
to poison that is common among such creatures."
and
"Ravages and afflictions deal damage only to evil creatures. Any evil creature takes damage equal to that listed on either Table 3–2 or Table 3–3, plus its Charisma bonus. An evil elemental or evil undead takes an extra 1 point of damage, and an evil outsider or an evil cleric of an evil deity takes an extra 2points of damage."

The part about it being debilitating to creatures normally immune to poison and undead taking an additional point of damage implys that the ravage should work anyway... but it's not quite outright saying it. Does this work?

Also even if it does work, the charisma modifier part seems a bit odd, zombies and skeletons have a charisma of 1, would they get the damage reduced by 5 making the feat again useless or would it only count bonuses for that and not penalties? (Or should it be my charisma modifier, not the targets?)

Deophaun
2012-05-19, 11:22 PM
First of all, a bonus is defined in the PHB as a positive modifier. So, a negative Charisma modifier would not be a bonus, and so wouldn't be applied. At least, that's my understanding.

As for whether physical stat damage from ravages affect undead, this is more fuzzy. There are afflictions that deal mental stat damage, which means that the clause does have an affect even if undead retain their immunity.

So, strict RAW, I'd say no. But I'm thinking it doesn't quite fit what I see as the intent of the ravages. So, personally, I'd rule yes.