PDA

View Full Version : Server busy/maintenance/unavailable

Invader
2012-05-19, 11:12 PM
I'm constantly getting an error that says the server is currently under maintenance or busy as well as one that says servers are unavailable at this time.

Is this purely a server problem?

PersonMan
2012-05-20, 04:05 AM
I'm constantly getting an error that says the server is currently under maintenance or busy as well as one that says servers are unavailable at this time.

Well, between X.00 and X.30, X depending on your timezone - for me (GMT+1) it's 10 to 10.30, the server has a backup, although this has recently started lasting longer, so it could be up to an hour long. This happens for everyone, as far as I know.

As for the other stuff, I think it is. I've gotten those, too.

willpell
2012-05-20, 04:28 AM
No, this is distinct from the "Database backup in progress"; it's a 503 Server Busy error or something else of the sort, where the entire page is replaced by the error message.

Oh look, I just got one:

Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

willpell
2012-05-20, 04:30 AM
Oh, and here's another, which apparently happened after I successfully submitted the previous post but it hadn't actually shown up yet:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Jimorian
2012-05-20, 04:48 AM
Yes, the server is currently straining at the seams, and the ads on the forum are an attempt to get enough resources for a server upgrade, but the revenue ranges from "not quite enough" to "not nearly enough". Management is aware of the issues and is working on options, but we'll all just have to be patient in the meantime.

One thing I personally do is make sure that I use the "Back" button on my browser as much as possible so that it loads locally cached pages instead of causing a new server database call. This is particularly useful when moving up the forum hierarchy tree to jump to a new subforum. Not only do you free up some server resources, but since many of your page changes are now locally generated, you effectively lower the percentage of times you'll see an error.

Mauve Shirt
2012-05-20, 06:54 AM
Start a kickstarter for the server. $10 gets a random book from my basement.
Not actually serious.

The Bushranger
2012-05-20, 12:09 PM
Old news, to be honest. The 503/500 errors have been around for a very long time...

Just be glad, leetle grashoppas, that the forum is not like it was back in 2008 when it would be shut down for half a day or more at times due to the load. *shakes cane* And we walked up hill to our roleplaying! Both ways! AND LIKED IT!

NerfTW
2012-05-20, 03:28 PM

Well, that's what the message says, so I would assume that yes, the message is not lying to you and the server is having issues.

The forum software isn't run by GladOS.

Strawberries
2012-05-21, 02:09 PM
The forum software isn't run by GladOS.

It isn't? Awww... :smallfrown:

But yes, that's been an issue for a while, and my understanding is that they're working to fix it. Relevant statement by the Giant. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12645186&postcount=4)

Maelstrom
2012-05-24, 12:31 AM
It's been constant 503 errors this morning (well am here at least)...time to start putting that kickstarter to use, or at least the interest off the kickstarter

(and I'm sure the project to get the server up to date is ongoing, I know these things do not happen overnight, but there is the lovely thing called cloud computing which allows scaling on demand...)

The Bushranger
2012-05-24, 12:40 AM
It's been constant 503 errors this morning (well am here at least)...time to start putting that kickstarter to use, or at least the interest off the kickstarter

(and I'm sure the project to get the server up to date is ongoing, I know these things do not happen overnight, but there is the lovely thing called cloud computing which allows scaling on demand...)

In the last half hour? That'd be the regular 1am server blip.

Roland St. Jude
2012-05-24, 01:02 AM
Sheriff: Yes, we know. Yes, we're aware of our technology options. No, the Kickstarter drive was not to fund server upgrades. No, there's not really anything to be gained by additional poster discussion on the issue.

We appreciate your interest and your continued patience.