PDA

View Full Version : Faster than a Speeding Bullet...

VGLordR2
2012-05-20, 12:58 AM
Hey, guys. I'm trying to build a character based around having a high move speed at low levels. The best I can come up with is a Catfolk Barbarian with the Quick flaw, the Dash feat, the Wild racial variant, and Boots of Striding and Springing for a total of 80 feet per round. I'm thinking that there are better ways to do this, so I need some help. Any of the following will be useful:
Any low LA races that grant movement bonuses.
Any low LA templates that grant movement bonuses.
Any cheap magic items that you would recommend.
Any feats that increase movement speed.
This is for an ECL 4 character, so I don't know how much higher you guys can get the movement speed. Let me know what you come up with.

Feralventas
2012-05-20, 01:09 AM
A level of druid to grab Long strider (+10 speed)
A level of Sorcerer to grab Expeditious Retreat (+30)
Or a level in Bard, Rogue, Factotem or Truenamer to get UMD for a wand of the stuff.

3rd level Warblade allows access to the Tiger Claw stance that adds a +10ft enhancement to your Jumps, allowing a longer distance when jumping.

Golden Ladybug
2012-05-20, 02:12 AM
My personal best for land speed is Yertle the Turtle, who reached a staggering 5150ft.

But, for a ECL 4 Character with immediate pay off, I would suggest this:

Longstride Shifter Barbarian 1/Cloistered Cleric 1/Psychic Warrior 2

1) Dash
F) Longstride Elite
F) Improved Toughness
3) Speed of Thought
PsyWar1) Extra Rage
PsyWar2) Mantled Warrior ACF (Freedom Mantle)

Domains: Celerity, Magic, Knowledge

Quick Trait

Shifting grants you a +20 Bonus to your speed, Buy a Potion/Wand of Expeditious Retreat +30 (enhancement), Celerity Domain grants +10, Freedom Mantle grants +10, Speed of Thought grants +10 (Insight), Fast Movement grants +10, Quick grants +10 and Dash grants +5

That'll have you hitting 125ft a round. Your wish list is going to be the +1 Spear Rapid Wrath, from Ghostwalk, which doubles your speed, and a Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis, which grants you another +10 and some other nifty beneifts.

I think Savage Species has rules for acquiring Templates, which you can use to become a Shadow Creature at some point in the future, increasing your speed by 1.5 (and some other stuff) at a cost of LA+2

Mnemnosyne
2012-05-20, 05:24 AM
If you pick up Travel Devotion, you can burn a turn attempt to move your speed each round as a swift action, too, essentially doubling your movement speed per round (for 1 minute at least).

Khedrac
2012-05-20, 05:55 AM
Remember to watch bonus types - there have been threads similar to this before and people tend to try to stack multiple enhancement bonuses.
Case in point is the post above - Longstrider and Expeditious Retreat don't stack.

Good luck

Necroticplague
2012-05-20, 06:59 AM
I think feral template gives an increased speed for +1.

Tyger
2012-05-20, 07:04 AM
Dark Template (either via the template or gained via the Umbral Collar MI in Shadow Magic) grants an untyped 10 foot bonus to speed.

EDIT: Whoops already mentioned above.

Randomguy
2012-05-20, 10:22 AM
A level of wildshape varient ranger gets you fast movement (as barbarian), which is an untyped bonus. Or, if you like saving levels, take a single level of barbarian and trade away rage for archery combat style, which you trade away for wildshape and fast movement, so that one level gets you +20ft to speed.

The fastest build in the world involves taking the cheetah's speed wild feat (complete divine), which gives you a base speed of 50 feet for an hour (to which you add your 20ft enhancement bonus), and lets you charge for 10 times your normal speed once in a while, which would be 700ft.

Krazzman
2012-05-20, 10:52 AM
AFAIK there is a Ranger ACF that's trades something for enh. movement speed. I don't recollect if it stacks with the barbarian one...

VGLordR2
2012-05-20, 11:28 AM
A level of wildshape varient ranger gets you fast movement (as barbarian), which is an untyped bonus. Or, if you like saving levels, take a single level of barbarian and trade away rage for archery combat style, which you trade away for wildshape and fast movement, so that one level gets you +20ft to speed.

Do the class variants really work like that? And if so, could I do the exact same thing with the Druidic Avenger at a later level for an additional +20?

Righteous Doggy
2012-05-20, 11:31 AM
Do the class variants really work like that? And if so, could I do the exact same thing with the Druidic Avenger at a later level for an additional +20?

Bonuses from the same source don't stack I don't think, you could rule it if you want, but I'm pretty sure that they aren't supposed to...

Aeryr
2012-05-20, 11:36 AM
You might want to add body blaze (from sandstorm) it doesn't increase your speed but yo leave a trail of fire (like a wall of fire) after you. I really like that spell.

Slipperychicken
2012-05-20, 12:23 PM
Half-Minotaur (Dragon 319) increases all speeds by 10 (in addition to its overpowering stat-boosts) when applied to a medium or smaller creature. LA +1. Half-Ogre is the same deal, only a bit worse.

Of course, at level 5 and onward the Wizard will laugh at you from atop his Phantom Steed... You dedicated your whole character build to replicate one part of a single spell.

nedz
2012-05-20, 01:27 PM
Cheetah’s Speed (CDiv p79)
Requires Wildshape ability.
Sets base land speed to 50 for 1 hour, for one use of Wildshape;
also you get to charge (once, int that hour) at x10.

Half-Fey Fly at twice base land speed.

VGLordR2
2012-05-20, 02:01 PM
Bonuses from the same source don't stack I don't think, you could rule it if you want, but I'm pretty sure that they aren't supposed to...

The bonuses are untyped, though. As far as I know, that allows them to stack.

Zombulian
2012-05-20, 08:09 PM
My personal best for land speed is Yertle the Turtle, who reached a staggering 5150ft.

But, for a ECL 4 Character with immediate pay off, I would suggest this:

Longstride Shifter Barbarian 1/Cloistered Cleric 1/Psychic Warrior 2

1) Dash
F) Longstride Elite
F) Improved Toughness
3) Speed of Thought
PsyWar1) Extra Rage
PsyWar2) Mantled Warrior ACF (Freedom Mantle)

Domains: Celerity, Magic, Knowledge

Quick Trait

Shifting grants you a +20 Bonus to your speed, Buy a Potion/Wand of Expeditious Retreat +30 (enhancement), Celerity Domain grants +10, Freedom Mantle grants +10, Speed of Thought grants +10 (Insight), Fast Movement grants +10, Quick grants +10 and Dash grants +5

That'll have you hitting 125ft a round. Your wish list is going to be the +1 Spear Rapid Wrath, from Ghostwalk, which doubles your speed, and a Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis, which grants you another +10 and some other nifty beneifts.

I think Savage Species has rules for acquiring Templates, which you can use to become a Shadow Creature at some point in the future, increasing your speed by 1.5 (and some other stuff) at a cost of LA+2

Just to make this build a wee bit less feat hungry, just be a Junglerunner Shifter and you will be just as fast as a Longstrider Elite! :smallbiggrin:

manyslayer
2012-05-21, 06:35 PM
There is a regional feat if Player's Guide To Faerun: Fleet of Foot that adds 10 feet to land speed. Have to take it at 1st level and have your DM allow/adapt regional feats.

Zonugal
2012-05-21, 07:14 PM
I posted this in the other "speed" thread, so here goes.

What about this for a basic "Speedster" type build?

Illuminian Archivist 2/Binder 1/Archivist 1/Anima Priest 2.

You'll have access to both Cleric & Druid spells (as well as a lot more) so you can cherry pick which spells you want. With Improved Binder you gain access to bind Paimon.

And that is where the build really comes online because having a high speed is great but if you have nothing to utilize it than it falls short. With Paimon's Dance of Death ability you can make a single attack against every foe you move past in a single round (recharged every five rounds).

In addition with Illuminian you can persist any two spells a day, so some nice spells like Fly, Heart of Air, ect...

VGLordR2
2012-05-21, 08:02 PM
Does Paimon allow multiple attacks against the same target if you move by it multiple times?

Zonugal
2012-05-21, 08:39 PM
Does Paimon allow multiple attacks against the same target if you move by it multiple times?

Sadly, no...

But you get +4 Dexterity, a bonus to Tumbling, Whirlwind attack and more.

VGLordR2
2012-05-21, 09:35 PM
Aside from Paimon, Body Blaze, and Jump check bonuses, are there any ways to make super high movement speeds have practical applications?

Slipperychicken
2012-05-21, 09:57 PM
Aside from Paimon, Body Blaze, and Jump check bonuses, are there any ways to make super high movement speeds have practical applications?

Get two Moves per round. Run up, Standard Action to smack the guy, Run away behind a corner. Put on your best trollface, hope they don't start readying actions. Then wash, rinse, repeat.