PDA

View Full Version : PFS Character assistance - Bard and Summoners

Silus
2012-05-20, 01:30 AM
First question: 1 lvl Urban Barbarian dip for lvl 2 Dawnflower Dervish
So I've got this Pathfinder Society character that is one game away from turning lvl 3. It's a Half-Elf Dawnflower Dervish Bard, quite possibly the most unfit Bard for helping parties. Basically, she runs about with a scimitar and ~15 Dex, dealing Dex related damage with said scimitar.

So here's the thing. I'm not 100% sure what to do with the character when I hit lvl 3. I think I'll take Improved Crit for my Scimitar ('cause that's always fun), but at the same time I was thinking of taking a 1 level dip into Barbarian (Urban Barbarian to be precise). The reasoning for this is because, as I've played, I've developed her personality in such a way that she flies into a murderous, borderline evil rage when confronted with human traffickers and slavers (She's in the Andoran faction). Since most of the faction missions deal with slave trade, and since she's likely going to fly into a rage when confronted with stuff like that, I figured why not to add in the Rage ability. To put the rage in perspective, in one game, she wanted to torch a slave trading ship after we were done interrogating the slave trading crew, with the crew still aboard. Also, decapitated the corpse of a Chellaxian assassin and slave trader to bring back as proof (Not required but she hates slavers that much).

Question is, on a mechanics standpoint, would the Urban Barbarian's "Controlled Rage" (+4 to either Str, Dex or Con with more or less no other Rage bits) for 4+Con rounds a day be viable for her? She's mostly lightly armored, highly mobile and pretty deadly (18 AC and +3 Dex related damage to Scimitar). Not a lot of spellcasting aside from utility spells. Also don't plan on taking her farther than lvl 8 or 10.

2nd question: Synthesist Summoner help/tips
So one of the secondary character ideas I have (Backup character) is a Synthesist Summoner that worships one of the Elder Gods (yeah yeah, original, I know). Anyway, beyond the "Low physical, crazy high mental" thing for stats, I've no idea how to build a Synthesist. Tips would be greatly appreciated. Mostly feat suggestions and Evolution suggestions (Thinking of taking Slam Attacks + stronger Natural Weapons at lvl 1)

stack
2012-05-21, 08:07 AM
For the summoner - your first decision is if you want to go for reach or pounce.

If you want reach, take the biped base, then decide between 'slugger' (using a two-hander and high strength) or a natural attack build (maxing out natural attacks). At higher levels you will have enough evolutions to use both a weapon and max your NA's, or go with a 'kali' build (as many arms as possible, each wielding a light weapon for multi-weapon fighting. Your weapon attacks are NOT capped). You'll want area control feats like combat reflexes, stand still, etc.

Only the quadruped can take pounce, which lends itself to charging with as many natural attacks as you can get. Both are perfectly valid choices.

Extra evolution is always a good choice. Half-elves get 1/4 evo a level as a favored class bonus, which is great if you will hit level 4+.