PDA

View Full Version : Undead ooze

drack
2012-05-20, 09:23 AM
Say,does anyone know a way to reanimate an ooze? :smallconfused:

Venger
2012-05-20, 10:19 AM
zombies and skeletons both require that the base creature has a skeletal system, which oozes by definition do not. while create undead/greater create undead do technically only specify "a corpse" they don't add on templates, just transform whatever corpse into one of the undead monsters on the list, so I don't think that's what you're looking for.

slime domain lets you rebuke oozes if you want a cadre of oozes, as does the spell "oozepuppet" from drow of the underdark if that's what you want.

savage species also has the "gelatinous" template that imparts some oozelike characteristics to the base creature. it's not terrible for LA 1, provided you don't care about int. you could apply it to whatever and then apply necropolitan or half vampire or whatever template to make you undead to enjoy the benefits of both types.

what specifically would you like to do?

drack
2012-05-20, 10:36 AM
Hmm, I was just thought it would be awesome to control a bunch of oozes that make up the terrain, so I was wondering if there's a way to do it through undeath :smallbiggrin:

Then again I suppose if nothing else it can always be done through ghosts :smalltongue:

hamishspence
2012-05-20, 10:49 AM
If you use the mumia template from Ghostwalk, you can have a mummified ooze since the template says "any living creature"

Khedrac
2012-05-20, 10:50 AM
I think there are undead oozes out there - see Cityscape for one of them. They may give details of how you could create them in the monster entry.

hamishspence
2012-05-20, 11:15 AM
The Cesspit Ooze is not true undead- but it's vulnerable to positive energy.

And both a turn or a rebuke attempt will, if successful, inflict two negative levels on it.

drack
2012-05-20, 11:16 AM
I think there are undead oozes out there - see Cityscape for one of them. They may give details of how you could create them in the monster entry.

That ones not undead, it's just made of sewage :smalltongue:

If you use the mumia template from Ghostwalk, you can have a mummified ooze since the template says "any living creature"

Hmm that's one, thank ye, wonder if there are any others :smallbiggrin:

Edit: ninjad :smallbiggrin:

hamishspence
2012-05-20, 11:22 AM
Some undead-specific templates (like Ravenous from Dragon Compendium) state they can be applied to "any corporeal undead" - so they work once you've gotten the undead ooze in the first place.

One way is to take a type-changing template, apply it to the ooze, then pick an undead template that's compatible with the new type.

Half-dragon to give it the dragon type, and Vampiric Dragon, Skeletal Dragon, or Zombie Dragon (Draconomicon) on top of that. Skeletal Dragon, unlike Skeleton, doesn't specify that the base creature must actually have bones.

drack
2012-05-20, 11:25 AM
Some undead-specific templates (like Ravenous from Dragon Compendium) state they can be applied to "any corporeal undead" - so they work once you've gotten the undead ooze in the first place.

One way is to take a type-changing template, apply it to the ooze, then pick an undead template that's compatible with the new type.

Half-dragon to give it the dragon type, and Vampiric Dragon, Skeletal Dragon, or Zombie Dragon (Draconomicon) on top of that. Skeletal Dragon, unlike Skeleton, doesn't specify that the base creature must actually have bones.

true, but when all the flesh comes off I'm left with something not even incorporeal :smalltongue:

hamishspence
2012-05-20, 11:32 AM
Heh. Maybe their "bones" are thin, deformable struts of cartilage rather than true bone.

After much searching, most templates (wight, ghost brute, wraith, umbral (shadow) creature, mummified creature, bodak, ghoulish, ghastly, monstrous vampire, and so forth) tend to either have a tight list, or say "except constructs, undead and oozes"

Corpse Creature from BoVD is one that says "any nonundead, nonconstruct, nonplant corporeal creature" so it's allowed.

drack
2012-05-20, 11:47 AM
Hmm, ooze are tricky to undead. Well thanks everyone for your help, I've gotten a few ideas :smallbiggrin:

Venger
2012-05-20, 02:47 PM
try a blood amniote from libris mortis. he's an undead that has ooze traits

Rubik
2012-05-20, 02:50 PM
The Psianimate Dead power from Hyperconscious (written by Bruce Cordell, author of the XPH and the best parts of CPsi) can animate ANY dead creature so long as it's corporeal. Including plants, oozes, elementals, and even (destroyed) undead and living constructs.

Undead made in this fashion are not auto-evil. In fact, they keep their previous mental ability scores, memories, and (one can assume) their personalities. They lose their class abilities, though. :smallfrown: