PDA

View Full Version : Petal Bard Build - Need Help

rmccarver
2012-05-20, 11:27 AM
I have to build a backup character. My Urban Ranger/Rogue character is being taken over after making a pact with The Fury in an Eberron campaign. I would like to build a Bard using a Petal. I want to focus on Inspire Courage, buffing, battle field control and some combat.

Could someone help me by showing me a 20 level breakdown of what feats to take, best spells and skills to have and the math behind it, so when I get in game I can make it happen. I have only been playing D&D 3.5 for a little while and don't have the best skills.

Thanks. ( I really appreciate the help. I did a lot of research and this is really what I want to play.) Stats are 18 18 17 16 14 12. Alignment will be Neutral Good. :smallsmile::smallsmile:

EDIT: Obviously Petals are +2 LA, just wanted to mention that since I don't know how it affects the build. Also we are currently at level 4.

rmccarver
2012-05-20, 12:05 PM
Petal - tiny fey (MM3) 15 ft move, fly 60ft, -8 Str, +10 Dex, +4 Con, +4 Int, +8 Cha, Sleep Songs, DR 5/cold iron, (?), LA +2

DM will allow me to play this. Here are the bonuses to Petal.

Urpriest
2012-05-20, 12:17 PM
You probably won't get someone giving you a full build unless they're bored, but I can help out a bit:

Petal has most of the ability scores you want. You want to ignore melee since your Strength will be low and your LA +2 will make you somewhat squishier than normal. That said, ranged combat might be fun for you, with Charming the Arrow (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fey/20030815a) you can use your Cha for attack rolls and Dragonfire Inspiration for bonus dice to damage.

Otherwise, your build won't stray much from a normal, IC-and-casting-focused Bard build, just shifted two levels down.

You'll feel a little behind for a bit, with LA +2 at level 4 you'll only have two Bard levels, so your skills and especially hit points will be behind. But you can fly when most things can't, and you'll have time to build things up.

etrpgb
2012-05-20, 02:39 PM
I just have an advice to reduce the LA problem in the future. Virtuoso* + Sublime Chord**.

The final build would be: Petal 2/Bard 7/Virtuoso 1/Sublime chord 2/Virtuoso 8.

Virtuoso gives you many musics, Sublime chord gives you many spells.

Unfortunately you will lose the 10th level Virtuoso music (revealing melody), but the only way to qualify with only 6 Bards levels (that I know) is taking the feats Favored and Primary Contact from Cityscape. Even if it might be RP friendly with your character I think it is just not worth it.

Secondly try to get a raven familiar via feat (Obtain Familiar***). It would allow to use UMD with him (your skill and his Cha, essentially your skill -4) and possibly double your action per round.

*Virtuoso: Complete Adventurer page 89
**Sublime Chord: Complete Arcane page 60
***Obtain Familiar: Complete Arcane page 81

Urpriest
2012-05-20, 03:05 PM
I just have an advice to reduce the LA problem in the future. Virtuoso* + Sublime Chord**.

The final build would be: Petal 2/Bard 7/Virtuoso 1/Sublime chord 2/Virtuoso 8.

Virtuoso gives you many musics, Sublime chord gives you many spells.

Unfortunately you will lose the 10th level Virtuoso music (revealing melody), but the only way to qualify with only 6 Bards levels (that I know) is taking the feats Favored and Primary Contact from Cityscape. Even if it might be RP friendly with your character I think it is just not worth it.

Secondly try to get a raven familiar via feat (Obtain Familiar***). It would allow to use UMD with him (your skill and his Cha, essentially your skill -4) and possibly double your action per round.

*Virtuoso: Complete Adventurer page 89
**Sublime Chord: Complete Arcane page 60
***Obtain Familiar: Complete Arcane page 81

You can't qualify for Sublime Chord with that build, you don't meet the skill rank prerequisites.

etrpgb
2012-05-20, 03:19 PM
Oh, yes. I did not recall the Listen 13 and K. Arcana 13. Somewhat I was recalling all as 10.

So you need something like: Petal 2/Bard 7/Virtuoso 3/Sublime Chord 2/Virtuoso 6. It is still fairly nice.