PDA

View Full Version : leveling up in the real world- a humorous story?

Kol Korran
2012-05-20, 11:47 AM
I thought to share something that happened to me today. It has a sort of a point, and it also sort of ties to roleplays. Then again, perhaps it;s in the wrong forum. I hope it's ok.

Hopefully you'll find this as amusing as i did, here goes:

In my country people do mandatory military service for a few years, but continue doing reserve service, a few weeks a year. It's sort of part of life, usually not fitting well with work and so on, but no biggy.

I've finished my service as a first lieutenant, and didn't think of this no more. Our army does not consider rank that big a deal, and high ranks and low ranks mingle freely- army of the people sort of thing.

Today I went to do start my reserve service, when I was told I got a new rank! I was promoted to captain! (Ding!) at first I was surprised, then confused, then amused. I came to my commander (C) and told him the news:
Me: Hey! Guess what? I got promoted to captain!
C: Congratulations! Glad to hear it!
Me: But what does it mean really?
C: Well, with the new ranks you may move to different roles...
Me: (Beaming up) More exciting ones?
C: ... Well, definitely more responsible ones, and more varied. (He starts naming roles dealing mostly with coordinating forces, supervision and so on.)
Me: (Frowns) Those jobs? damn! And I was getting good at my role.
C: Oh, but we need your skills at other places. Oh, due to the new roles we may need to set meetings with you outside the reserve service, to plan training, operational duty and they like. Sorry, it comes with the role.
Me: Hhhmm... ok, do I get better pay?
C: No, the reserve pay remains unchanged, dependent on your salary as a civilian. The ratio doesn't get better, even for me.
Me: Well, at least less days of service per year? yes? (hopefully)
C: ... Well, actually you do more days per year. (Smiling a feint sarcastic smile) You know how the army works!

At this point I was a bit bummed up, but also quite amused. Indeed the army works this way. Leveling up wasn't at all what I thought it would be! Still, there was one thing I had to check:
Me: Do I get a new feat?
C: Well, as you... wait, WHAT?

With that ends my little tale. Hopefully it wasn't a waste of your time. Cheers! :smallsmile:

7RED7
2012-05-20, 11:57 AM
How exactly does the whole "dependent on your salary as a civilian" thing work? Could you just find a way into some stressful, but high paying job, and just spend more time with the "training and operational duty" to basically take an exercise vacation while raking in money?

dsmiles
2012-05-21, 07:12 AM
Well played, sir. Well played. :smallbiggrin:

Reynard
2012-05-21, 09:35 AM
Congrats, Captian Korran, on your slightly unwanted(?) promotion through the ranks.

But yes, you do get a new Feat: an improved version of Leadership. Or maybe you've just got multiple copies of it as this point.

Kol Korran
2012-05-21, 09:57 AM
How exactly does the whole "dependent on your salary as a civilian" thing work? Could you just find a way into some stressful, but high paying job, and just spend more time with the "training and operational duty" to basically take an exercise vacation while raking in money?

basically, you get paid as you would have if you worked at your job (or some sort of ratio) instead of doing military service. this is done so people won't get screwed for not working high paying jobs.

i might find some way to high stress, high pay job, but:
- it's a high stress job, which i'll be doing far more than doing reserve service (which is just a few weeks a year)
- you can't just choose your job, you have to qualify for it, usually through knowledge, skills, experience and so on.
- when i'm at the army, i try to do my best to contribute. i don't try to use/abuse it's rules.

Congrats, Captian Korran, on your slightly unwanted(?) promotion through the ranks.

But yes, you do get a new Feat: an improved version of Leadership. Or maybe you've just got multiple copies of it as this point.
thanks for the congrats! i'm not that a great leader/inspiring person. i'm more of a technical/ professional guy myself. but perhaps with the new roles? meh, we'll see. :smallwink:

QuidEst
2012-05-21, 10:20 AM
Well, make sure to put some of those new skill ranks into Diplomacy, just in case! Man, I hate it when stingy GMs won't consider using the WBL tables. =/

Blackfang108
2012-05-21, 11:14 AM
Well, make sure to put some of those new skill ranks into Diplomacy, just in case! Man, I hate it when stingy GMs won't consider using the WBL tables. =/

+9000 and even more.