PDA

View Full Version : D&D Newcomers looking for a game.

Kaizerbuns
2012-05-20, 08:43 PM
Hey there Giants, I was recommended here by a couple people for starting a DnD Game/ finding a DM. So I'll get right onto it.

Currently, My friend and I know almost nothing about DnD's gameplay and organization other than "If your roll beats the difficulty you succeed, if not. You're screwed." that, and the fact that it seems fun.

That being said, we'd like to learn and maybe join into some games people are planning in the future. Which ever version of DnD wouldn't matter, because we wouldn't have any preferences so we'll take what we can get. Thanks alot if you can help out.

Salanmander
2012-05-20, 09:05 PM
If you're looking for people here who could direct you to specific people/games in -person, we'll obviously need to know where you are.

A good way to find people near you in general is to go to the nearest gaming store...many of them run D&D events, which can sometimes be a good introduction, and are often a good way to meet people.

You can also play play-by-post games here on the forums, but I would personally recommend trying to find something in-person at least to start. Not that play-by-post is bad, it's just very different. People are also often more experimental with play-by-post games, since it's easier to find people to join them.

Kaizerbuns
2012-05-20, 09:08 PM
As much as I'd like to do this in person, My friend and I are literally countries apart, so Play-by-post is the only option.

Still though if there are games being held here on these forums that helps a lot in itself.

Calanon
2012-05-20, 09:35 PM
A good way to find people near you in general is to go to the nearest gaming store...many of them run D&D events, which can sometimes be a good introduction, and are often a good way to meet people.

BAH! Most of the gaming stores around me are all 4th edition heretics :smallannoyed:

I have however indoctrinated a select few players to join me in the holy crusades of 3.5 edition :smallamused:

You can also play play-by-post games here on the forums, but I would personally recommend trying to find something in-person at least to start. Not that play-by-post is bad, it's just very different. People are also often more experimental with play-by-post games, since it's easier to find people to join them.

Play-by post section (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51) :smallbiggrin:

Answerer
2012-05-20, 09:41 PM
As much as I'd like to do this in person, My friend and I are literally countries apart, so Play-by-post is the only option.

Still though if there are games being held here on these forums that helps a lot in itself.
Depending on the size of those countries/the direction of the separation, realtime-but-over-the-Internet games may be an option, and would be massively better than Play-by-Post. Play-by-Post games tend to be exceedingly slow, and tend to fall apart very, very quickly. If you're really going to do PbP, I'd seriously consider joining like half a dozen at a time: the odds of any of them lasting more than a week or two, much less more than one, are remote.

If you guys can play in realtime, I very much recommend you do so. Play over IRC can work, and play over something like MapTool can actually work well. There may be some (though much fewer) such games being offered in the Recruitment section; you could check. Elsewise, you should try D&D IRC channels; the unofficial #giantitp channel on gamesurge.net, for instance, has a few games running (not sure if any are recruiting at the moment though). There are similar channels for most D&D sites, so you can ask around and try to find something. It will work much better, I assure you.

meto30
2012-05-21, 09:10 AM
In the... rare case that you or your friend live in the East Asian region or the Oceania, I can possibly serve as a DM for your introductory realtime-but-online sessions. I second the opinion that play-by-post can be very slow, but people have different thresholds of patience, so it's best if you checked it out yourself.

In the even rarer case that you live in Korea... well, in that case I can also be your DM in person. Mind that I don't have that much time, but I'm not that busy either, if you follow me :smallwink:

Dairuga
2012-05-24, 06:59 AM
Hey there Giants, I was recommended here by a couple people for starting a DnD Game/ finding a DM. So I'll get right onto it.

Currently, My friend and I know almost nothing about DnD's gameplay and organization other than "If your roll beats the difficulty you succeed, if not. You're screwed." that, and the fact that it seems fun.

That being said, we'd like to learn and maybe join into some games people are planning in the future. Which ever version of DnD wouldn't matter, because we wouldn't have any preferences so we'll take what we can get. Thanks alot if you can help out.

Hellooo there.
Have you considered using Skype? Chatting with eachother over internet and hosting games as such?

If you are willing, I could try to teach you. I have a few people I am teaching, and I suppose, if time permits, I could try to host a game with the two of you.

Bloodgruve
2012-05-24, 08:21 AM
TL;DR, sorry if these have been mentioned.

You can look at some online tabletops that can be used together with a voice chat for real time DnD fun with your far away friends.

I have personally worked with d20 Pro (http://d20pro.com/) and Maptools (http://www.rptools.net/index.php?page=maptool). I prefer d20 Pro personally.

Look at Skype or Ventrillo for chatting, they are both easy.

There are other message boards that help organize virtual tabletop games also. I would love to see and be part of a virtual game run by this community though :)

GL
Blood~