PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] Things I need to somehow survive a T1-2 caster

BlueEyes
2012-05-20, 11:42 PM
You see. I'm playing a solo game. Together with the DM we made a strong character for me. He's mundane, but fairly decent. Until now I was mostly fighting other mundanes, monsters and low-op half-casters or gishes. The only fullcaster I fought was a Sorcerer, but he was a part of a group of enemies and he was only buffing, so that barely counts.
I want to start taking on enemies that are true spellcasters. I don't mean specializing at killing casters, though. It's just that the DM is waiting on my "Okay" that will allow him making optimized fullcaster opponents with decent combat tactics. I'm sure it will be much more fun to occasionally fight Wizards and Clerics and stuff or have them as part of other encounters.
I think that my offense is strong enough, but I read that a caster can screw a mundane in so many ways that it's not even funny. That's why I come to you for a lesson on what should I do to heighten my chances in resisting a casters "offense".
I'm 20th level, so my caster opponents would most probably be in the 17-24 CR range (with "CR appropriate and below" encounters most of the time). Epic Spellcasting is just too ridiculous, so we agreed that he won't use it.
I have a chance to change my build slightly before the next adventure, so suggestions on feats and gear are of course welcome (but I'm not changing anything else), but I'm more after general stuff I'll have to watch out for, for later occasions. I'm just not experienced with casters and spells, so I don't exactly know what I can expect.

Houserules that are definitely important here:
1. All spells other than cantrips have a minimum casting time of 1 round, unless they previously required a swift/immediate action. Classes which get only up to 6th level spells (bard, duskblade) use the original casting times, while classes with spell lists up to 4th level (paladin, ranger) can Quicken their spells for free.
2. Damage caps do not exist, and HD caps increase to your caster level if higher than the original. If a spell had multiple HD caps, the highest one is equal to your caster level and other caps remain the same distance from it. (eg. if a spell had caps of 5HD, 6HD and 8HD then casting it at CL20 would result in caps of 17HD, 18HD and 20HD).
3. If you take damage while casting a spell you lose the spell automatically, unless that damage is backlash from the spell itself (but look point 4).
4. When casting a 0th-level spell you may choose to cast defensively. For every 3 points of BAB this benefit applies to spells of one level higher.
5. Some spells are changed or removed:
- Planar Binding, Lesser does not exist;
- Planar Binding, Greater does not exist;
- Planar Ally, Lesser does not exist;
- Planar Ally, Greater does not exist;
- Detect Magic is a 1st level spell;
6. All spells with "Personal" range are now "One creature touched".

Quellian-dyrae
2012-05-21, 02:57 AM
Knowing a bit about your current build would help, but some generic advice...

In my opinion, the single most useful feature you can get is some way to make sure you can attack the casters, which unless you're an archer usually means the ability to reach them. Flight, Air Walk, or something along similar lines. I'd say shoot for having at least a speed of 60'.

Casters do have impressive defensive options. Clerics tend to be better at sheer AC boosting, while wizards get better access to miss chances. The Mage Slayer line can chew through those pretty easily, if you're concerned about them, but it's a fairly substantial feat investment.

Invisibility is a pain. See Invisibility and Invisibility Purge are low level spells. Get an item.

Immunities are helpful. Probably the most important is Freedom of Movement, because movement-impeding spells are probably the most likely to disallow saving throws. The ring is 40,000 gold well spent. Death Ward and Mind Blank aren't as straightforward. If you have a good set of saves, though, they might be okay. The only issue is that, since you're solo, a save-or-lose can really mean save-or-lose.

However, that one round casting time can help. Get your speed up. When a mage starts casting, if you can get close, go for the disrupt. If not, get out of line of effect. Even just breaking line of sight can block a lot of targeted spells. If your ranged attacks are good and you can deal with the defenses, under these rules, an archer would be simply devastating against a mage.

I mean, don't get me wrong, casters have tons of options, quite a few downright game-breaking, but working on the assumption that your DM is putting you up against reasonably fair fights, the above should cover most of the big issues, I think.

Suddo
2012-05-21, 03:16 AM
The mage slayer feats are fun. I'd suggest those and a reach weapon.
But as stated above the more info on your character the better.

Acanous
2012-05-21, 03:19 AM
What books is the DM allowing in this 3.P?

Contingeancy exists. It does not care about one round casting time.
Expect the mage to go first, expect the mage to have a contingeancy that will buy him a round. (Or more, see Contingeancy: Time Stop [If I'm ever the target of a hostile creature])
The most common tactics a mage will use involve him flying, invisible, and blinking, with a summoned batch of creatures for you to fight.
(Which incidentally only takes 4 rounds, so this is what you can expect when you get to roll initiative.)

For tactics, I reccommend you have a ranged option. Most spells that screw melee do so by immobilizing them.
An item of spell turning will render you effectively immune to anything else he might throw at (just) you. Once.
One shot is all you can reliably hope for. Hold your action for "If he starts casting a spell", and shoot to interrupt.

BlueEyes
2012-05-22, 02:31 AM
My sheet. (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=368566)

In my opinion, the single most useful feature you can get is some way to make sure you can attack the casters, which unless you're an archer usually means the ability to reach them. Flight, Air Walk, or something along similar lines. I'd say shoot for having at least a speed of 60'.
I'm large and can have a reach weapon no problem. And of course I'll have a composite longbow. And also, as a half-dragon, I can have wings. At first I didn't like wings, because they where screwing with my concept (a fairly normal looking giant), but now I see that they're important.

Casters do have impressive defensive options. Clerics tend to be better at sheer AC boosting, while wizards get better access to miss chances. The Mage Slayer line can chew through those pretty easily, if you're concerned about them, but it's a fairly substantial feat investment.
I have many feats and those ones (except Mage Slayer) are also useful against non-casters, so that's not a problem as well.

However, that one round casting time can help. Get your speed up. When a mage starts casting, if you can get close, go for the disrupt. If not, get out of line of effect. Even just breaking line of sight can block a lot of targeted spells. If your ranged attacks are good and you can deal with the defenses, under these rules, an archer would be simply devastating against a mage.
I don't think it will be that easy. I'm certain that the most of the casters will have some amount of preparation or help. And if not, I suspect that they'll still have some kind of ace up their sleeves to prevent me from simply 1 HIT KO them. Otherwise it wouldn't be much of a challenge.

What books is the DM allowing in this 3.P?
Almost anything official from PF and 3.5. Sometimes also 3rd party, but it has to be really acknowledged by the community or something (like for example Dreamscarred Press' Psionics Unleashed has approval from Paizo).
If a 3.5 material has a converted version in PF, I can still choose which one I want to use. He vetos my choices very rarely.

Contingeancy exists. It does not care about one round casting time.
Yeah, that will probably be it for a couple of the casters. But not all of them. The DM doesn't like to be repetitive.

The most common tactics a mage will use involve him flying, invisible, and blinking, with a summoned batch of creatures for you to fight.
I doubt it will be all that at once.

Gavinfoxx
2012-05-22, 02:41 AM
I doubt it will be all that at once.

Why do you doubt that? Any particular reason?

BlueEyes
2012-05-23, 06:55 PM
Why do you doubt that? Any particular reason?
The DM will try to challenge me, not annihilate. Such an opponent I would expect to encounter maybe once, as the ultimate final boss of a big adventure/campaign. Not as an enemy in a sidequest/short adventure, which I mostly go on.

EDIT: Bump.

Togo
2012-05-23, 07:07 PM
Try a ghost touch bloodseeking seeking longbow. That way you can hit the caster even if he's far away, invisible, hiding behind something and ethereal, just so long as you can pass a spot or listen check to pinpoint his square.

Make sure you have some form of short-range teleport, like an anklet of translocation, or similar.

Get a torc of antimagic, or similar. With your stats you don't need magic to kill a sorceror.

You may have a problem catching them, so some kind of fast flight is essential.

Invader
2012-05-23, 07:08 PM
I'd say mind blank is really important because I'm assuming you have a crappy will save can casters have ton's of will save-or-be screwed spells, especially if you don't have group support.

Spuddles
2012-05-23, 07:22 PM
Your touch AC is trash. I would work on fixing that.

BlueEyes
2012-05-26, 12:43 PM
I'd say mind blank is really important because I'm assuming you have a crappy will save can casters have ton's of will save-or-be screwed spells, especially if you don't have group support.
Steadfast Determination plus +5 item gives me +39 Will.

I'm thinking about taking Master Craftsman, Craft Magic Arms and Armor and Craft Wondrous Item. Having almost double the WBL would give me a big boost in power and versatility. :smallamused:

Your touch AC is trash. I would work on fixing that.
No, no, I just didn't yet add all the bonuses I have and I'm still thinking on the gear, which will add quite some numbers there.

EDIT: How helpful is a SR 30?