PDA

View Full Version : Desert Skill Challenge

DragonBaneDM
2012-05-21, 12:34 AM
Heya guys!

So I've gotten my players to really like skill challenges. I do this thing where I build it like a board game. I set up three different paths to accomplish the same goal, one for each type of skill, like a Stealth/Acrobatics track for the Ranger to follow, a Bluff/Diplomacy route for the Bard and Sorcerer, and an Athletics/Endurance route for the Fighter and Swordmage.

Now I want to do the same thing for a survival skill challenge. The party gets around via this teleporting shack that the Sorcerer is learning to run. It drops them in the middle of the desert this time, and they need to get to the city of Rahesh, so navigation is a thing.

However, they're not gonna be able to split up this time like they did for the last! What would you recommend? What works for you guys with skill challenges?

TL;DR My party is gonna get stuck in the desert! How make this skill challenge fun thanx and pl0x!

Megatron46
2012-05-21, 06:09 AM
Everyone has to make Endurance checks every round to not lose healing surges, (whether these add to the success/failure of the challenge is up to you!)
Then add Nature for navigation.
Athletics for crossing the desert, (too close to endurance maybe).
I'm trying to think of something to see if they could improvise/fashion something to help them out of the remains of the shack but currently drawing a blank.
When I run skill challenges I have compulsory skils everyone must roll and allow PCs a one off roll of a skill challenge of their choice to allow a +2 bonus to a roll that someone fails. However, their justification for that skill needs to be bloody good or I don't allow it!

tcrudisi
2012-05-21, 08:17 AM
Check out Cali3-3 (Calimshan region) from LFR. You can download it at livingforgottenrealms.com. It has a desert skill challenge and has some ideas you may want to borrow.

Kurald Galain
2012-05-21, 08:41 AM
Awww, I thought this was about a dessert challenge... :smallamused:

Megatron46
2012-05-21, 09:17 AM

That would be awsome! :smalltongue:

DragonBaneDM
2012-05-21, 01:53 PM

You're awful. :smalltongue: crudisi wins all the internet-mentor points today Kurald. I'll check it out!