PDA

View Full Version : Gotta go FAST! Speed character build

Yaitanos
2012-05-21, 07:17 AM
Okay so our group is starting a new game, this time with element based characters. I got Air so I decided to build a speed character. Problem is, it's not working out too well. I want to take the Elocator prestige class to get the scorn earth ability, so I'm always floating and never give the earthy dudes a chance to get that bonus to hit me and all that. Anyway, I was gonna take martial monk to get the required feats, using expeditious dodge in place of normal dodge, and the speed of thought, fleet of foot (the faerun +10 to movement one) and take the Quick trait twice. (House rule that we can take traits twice just take the combined penalties, as well as combining base class variants that don't conflict) Was thinking of also using the Chaos monk with the martial for some.. flavor. Also less dependence on the whole flurry thing and more for the spring attack. I don't really have gear picked out either. But here is the feat tree I have so far:

1st: Improved unarmed strike(class), expeditious dodge(class), Hidden Talent(Normal first), Fleet of foot(Human bonus), Speed of thought(first flaw), Run(second flaw)
2nd: Mobility(class)
3rd: Up the walls
6th: Spring Attack

S'all I got for now. So what do you guys think? Suggestions, comments, stuff?

Go go gadget thinktank!

bungo_underhill
2012-05-21, 07:38 AM
Hmmm, whilst Monks do get faster as they level, a few other classes give you speed boosts and something to do with it.

Scout gets you a +10ft base speed st 3rd level, along with a bonus on damage and AC in rounds where you move at least 10ft. Plus lots of skills including Jump & Tumble.

Barbarian gives another +10ft at first level.

If you are looking to take elocator maybe Psychic warrior would be the best place to get your extra feats from? OR if the DM allows eberron stuff Tashalatora allows you to combine some of the monk stuff with Psychic warrior (although not the speed boosts).

Elfinor
2012-05-21, 07:58 AM
The Swiftblade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327) tacked on to an air-themed Sorcerer could potentially be more combat effective while keeping a similar concept. Although you don't get Scorn Earth, the Sor/Wiz list has Flight spells from Spell Level 2+.

EDIT: Depending on race, you might need to dip a class for the weapon prereqs. I'd suggest Barbarian (for the speed boost). If you want to keep fighting unarmed, don't forget to take Superior Unarmed Strike and the Greater Mighty Wallop spell (Races of the Dragon).

The Underlord
2012-05-21, 08:32 AM
I'll just leave this here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19861942/Chuck_E._Cheese)

Telonius
2012-05-21, 08:38 AM
It sounds like you want a more martial-ish character. Is Tome of Battle allowed? Diamond Mind has a lot of (potentially) air-themed stuff, and Tiger Claw can give you some damage benefits to having a high speed. (High speed = higher jump check modifier, and better chance to land things like Soaring Raptor, Claw at the Moon, and Death from Above). That would work with either a Warblade or a Swordsage.

Salanmander
2012-05-21, 08:54 AM
Make sure you check what type of bonus the speed boosts you're using are. Many of them are enhancement bonuses, and thus don't stack with each other, unless your DM makes an exception.

Second, aside from just being fast, make sure you know what you're going to do once you get there. If the answer is "punch for 2d6 damage" you might end up feeling outpaced.

Andorax
2012-05-21, 12:31 PM
It's not very speed-based, but I have an air-themed Monk concept lying around that you're welcome to.

Start off Monk 1, then head into Sorceror. Pick your spells on an air-based theme.

You'll need to pick up Combat Casting along the way to 5th and the according skills to qualify into Arcane Fist (CA)...keep Climb maximized though.

By 10th (Monk 1/Sorc 4/Arcane Fist 5), you'll have all you need to qualify for Master of the East Wind (Dragon 314...air-thematic monk/arcanist prc that also picks up the Air Domain along the way).

When all is said and done, you'll have 18/20 sorc progression and the AC/Unarmed Damage/Unarmored Speed of a 16th level Monk.

If you want to really push the theme, snag the Air Bloodline (Dragon 311) when you can as well. There's a bit of overlap between it and the Air Domain, but not so much as to shoot down the concept.

Purely for storyline reasons, you might want to venerate Chan, the Air Archeoelemental Lord of Air (Dragon 353).

Zjordan85
2012-05-21, 02:33 PM
IIRC, Tattoo of the Monk from Magic of Faerun counts AC, unarmed damage, and movement as a monk as 4 levels higher

Lateral
2012-05-21, 03:07 PM
I'll just leave this build that doesn't work here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19861942/Chuck_E._Cheese)

FTFY. Chuck E. Cheese was nixed by errata to the Footsteps of the Divine spell, sadly.

Zonugal
2012-05-21, 03:57 PM
What about this for a basic "Speedster" type build?

Illuminian Archivist 2/Binder 1/Archivist 1/Anima Priest 2.

You'll have access to both Cleric & Druid spells (as well as a lot more) so you can cherry pick which "air" spells you want. With Improved Binder you gain access to bind Paimon.

And that is where the build really comes online because having a high speed is great but if you have nothing to utilize it than it falls short. With Paimon's Dance of Death ability you can make a single attack against every foe you move past in a single round (recharged every five rounds).

In addition with Illuminian you can persist any two spells a day, so some nice spells like Blur, Fly, Haste, Heart of Air, ect...

Azoth
2012-05-21, 04:36 PM
Raptoran with air heritage is a beauty. Flight, plus a constant +30 ft to speed for 1 feat. Go cloistered cleric for travel devotion and possibly storm talon. You can get a fly speed of about 100ft with good maneuvability. So flying close to 200ft a round for your swift+move action. Almos enough to keep up with phantom stag.

Invader
2012-05-21, 05:29 PM
Not part of a build but I believe there's a relatively cheap magic item that allows to constantly levitate above the ground.

seems like it would work well with your concept.

Greyfeld85
2012-05-21, 05:36 PM
Raptoran with air heritage is a beauty. Flight, plus a constant +30 ft to speed for 1 feat. Go cloistered cleric for travel devotion and possibly storm talon. You can get a fly speed of about 100ft with good maneuvability. So flying close to 200ft a round for your swift+move action. Almos enough to keep up with phantom stag.

Plus, Races of the Wild has that Raptoran-only Skypledged PrC that progresses divine spellcasting and gives a ton of air/weather-themed goodies.

VGLordR2
2012-05-21, 05:45 PM
You may want to check out The Speed Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=26.0). It has some nice stuff.

Yaitanos
2012-05-21, 05:45 PM
This campaign is more about roleplay, so I'm not too worried about combat effectiveness. The basis of the character is that he's actually pretty passive and lazy. Just likes to flit about on the wind and go fast. I had the mental image of him 'skating' circles around the movement speed of 15 halfearth halforc with the elocators scorn earth ability. So yeah, not worred about hitting people too much, just wanna go FAST!

Yaitanos
2012-05-22, 02:53 AM
Think I scared people off with my "more about roleplay" comment.

Gwendol
2012-05-22, 03:52 AM
The Dark template gives +10 speed. Among other things.

Tricky thing about Barb's speed though is that it says:

A barbarian’s land speed is faster than the norm for his race by +10 feet.

So, if you already are faster than the norm for your race, does the +10' apply?

Morph Bark
2012-05-22, 04:21 AM
You may want to check out The Speed Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=26.0). It has some nice stuff.

Oohh, very nice!

Invader
2012-05-22, 04:06 PM
The Dark template gives +10 speed. Among other things.

Tricky thing about Barb's speed though is that it says:

So, if you already are faster than the norm for your race, does the +10' apply?

I'd have to say yes. There's no reason they wouldn't stack.

Morph Bark
2012-05-22, 04:16 PM
Think about it this way:

A Goblin has 30 ft movement speed.

A Dark Goblin has 40 ft movement speed.

A Dark Goblin has different racial abilities from a Goblin (specifically, he has more of them, thanks to the Dark template). Therefore he is effectively a different race (though he still has the goblinoid subtype of course).

Therefore a Dark Goblin Barbarian's movement speed would be 50 ft instead of only 40 ft. Unless he's got a spiritual totem of a specific feline demeanor.

Korivan
2012-05-23, 01:55 AM
I don't have the build on hand, but I know with the exception of making a 6 or 7th lvl improved haste spell (only doubled haste (60ft), didn't give any extra actions i think), and one feat from AEG that added 5ft each time you took it, a friend of mine and I made a character that had a 300ft per move action. I know we broke the sound barrier. Oh and it was gestalt.

On hand i remember
lvl 20 build
Full monk
Partial scout(cant remember excactly)/PrC Dervish

trait for +10/ -1hp lvl

thats all i can think of.

Morph Bark
2012-05-23, 04:23 AM
I don't have the build on hand, but I know with the exception of making a 6 or 7th lvl improved haste spell (only doubled haste (60ft), didn't give any extra actions i think), and one feat from AEG that added 5ft each time you took it, a friend of mine and I made a character that had a 300ft per move action. I know we broke the sound barrier. Oh and it was gestalt.

On hand i remember
lvl 20 build
Full monk
Partial scout(cant remember excactly)/PrC Dervish

trait for +10/ -1hp lvl

thats all i can think of.

To break the sound barrier you would have to move 1116.43701 feet per second, so either three times that much as a move action (assuming a move action takes half a 6-second turn) or six times that much as a Run action.

To break the sound barrier you need a lot more work.

Gwendol
2012-05-23, 12:38 PM
Think about it this way:

A Goblin has 30 ft movement speed.

A Dark Goblin has 40 ft movement speed.

A Dark Goblin has different racial abilities from a Goblin (specifically, he has more of them, thanks to the Dark template). Therefore he is effectively a different race (though he still has the goblinoid subtype of course).

Therefore a Dark Goblin Barbarian's movement speed would be 50 ft instead of only 40 ft. Unless he's got a spiritual totem of a specific feline demeanor.

I'm with you 100% there. My comment was related to other speed enhancements stacking with the Barbarian fast movement. Be that from class, trait, flaw or whatever.

Suddo
2012-05-23, 12:55 PM
Instead of Sorc (for Swiftblade builds) try Wu-Jen, I think they have haste.
Winged Creature is a pretty cool template from savage species.
Horse Barbarian is going to get you +10ft at 1st and Run at 2nd.
I'd suggest a warforged or undead to take advantage of no fatigue.
I think there was a thread about getting a silly amount of speed and the ability to pickpocket as a free action and just run around stealing stuff.

Yaitanos
2012-05-23, 05:05 PM
Not part of a build but I believe there's a relatively cheap magic item that allows to constantly levitate above the ground.

seems like it would work well with your concept.

What item is this? Not the horse shoes of the zephyr I hope. Cause part of the reason those are so cheap is cause they only work on ponies.

NNescio
2012-05-23, 06:36 PM

http://ompldr.org/vZHZ0Zg/c5daaca7b0defde29c2619c88827e3a0.jpg

Korivan
2012-05-23, 11:10 PM
To break the sound barrier you would have to move 1116.43701 feet per second, so either three times that much as a move action (assuming a move action takes half a 6-second turn) or six times that much as a Run action.

To break the sound barrier you need a lot more work.

I think we used a belt of battle to get another full round action to move at full sprint twice in a round.

Yaitanos
2012-05-23, 11:25 PM
Okay so here we go. After going over all the suggestions and material supplied, this is what I'm come up with for my airy speedster. Mind you this is only the feat/racial build so he's kinda naked (no pointing and laughing, he's sensitive).

I settled on a human with the half air elemental and shadow creature templates from the Manual of the planes. The elemental doesn't give anything other than a touch of flavor and some nifty spell like abilities. He'll have the quick trait twice so bonus speed there.

Here is the feat and level progression:

1st- Ardent (freedom and element mantles), feats; Magic in the blood, Fleet of foot, Speed of thought and Up the walls
2nd- Barbarian
3rd- Martial/Chaos Monk, feats- Run, Improved unarmed strike, expeditious dodge
4th- Monk, feat- Mobility
5th- Monk
6th- Monk, feat- Spring attack
7th- Elocator

Only got up to level 7 so far, but it's looking good. At 1st level, if my calculations are right, I should have a base speed of 90ft, and 100ft when I'm psionically focused. Level 2 it goes up to 105 and 115, at 5th it goes up to 135 and 145 and so on every three levels. Then we add on the fun magic items and stuff and vrooom!

Thinking about it, I for some reason didn't like the idea of this character having a fly speed, though adding the unseelie template and using air heritage would have made him QUITE adept at flying. I mean, like 210-230ft per round at 1st level adept. Then maybe later on increasing the maneuverability to perfect. I mean... if I really wanted to I could do that. But the idea is for someone who floats on the wind, not flies in it. I'll debate that awesome later.

Anyway, thoughts?

ThiagoMartell
2012-05-23, 11:49 PM
What item is this? Not the horse shoes of the zephyr I hope. Cause part of the reason those are so cheap is cause they only work on ponies.

I have three words for you: Use Magic Device

Also, why not Air Genasi as your race? Lower LA.

Yaitanos
2012-05-24, 12:32 AM
I have three words for you: Use Magic Device

Also, why not Air Genasi as your race? Lower LA.

Will talk with my DM about using the shoes as a human and not a horse. (Will TRY to refrain from pony ride jokes but no promises).

As for the Air Genasi, the half elemental templates in the Manual of the planes don't have level adjustments. CR adjustments yes, but not LA. Am I missing something with that?

Kuulvheysoon
2012-05-24, 12:40 AM
Will talk with my DM about using the shoes as a human and not a horse. (Will TRY to refrain from pony ride jokes but no promises).

As for the Air Genasi, the half elemental templates in the Manual of the planes don't have level adjustments. CR adjustments yes, but not LA. Am I missing something with that?

If they're lacking a LA (like half-golems, MM2) but have a CR, then they're generally assumed to be LA: -, not LA: +0, which means that they're not acceptable as PCs.

Yaitanos
2012-05-24, 12:48 AM
If they're lacking a LA (like half-golems, MM2) but have a CR, then they're generally assumed to be LA: -, not LA: +0, which means that they're not acceptable as PCs.

Meh, the DM allowed a weresheep in his game before so I'll talk to him about it. Think that guy also had the prodigy template from dm2. Was really good at getting out of stomachs. Not good at keeping himself out of them, but good at getting out.

And if not, I'll play the lesser air genasi. Will lose magic in the blood but eh.

VGLordR2
2012-05-24, 12:54 AM
Okay so here we go. After going over all the suggestions and material supplied, this is what I'm come up with for my airy speedster. Mind you this is only the feat/racial build so he's kinda naked (no pointing and laughing, he's sensitive).

I settled on a human with the half air elemental and shadow creature templates from the Manual of the planes. The elemental doesn't give anything other than a touch of flavor and some nifty spell like abilities. He'll have the quick trait twice so bonus speed there.

Here is the feat and level progression:

1st- Ardent (freedom and element mantles), feats; Magic in the blood, Fleet of foot, Speed of thought and Up the walls
2nd- Barbarian
3rd- Martial/Chaos Monk, feats- Run, Improved unarmed strike, expeditious dodge
4th- Monk, feat- Mobility
5th- Monk
6th- Monk, feat- Spring attack
7th- Elocator

Only got up to level 7 so far, but it's looking good. At 1st level, if my calculations are right, I should have a base speed of 90ft, and 100ft when I'm psionically focused. Level 2 it goes up to 105 and 115, at 5th it goes up to 135 and 145 and so on every three levels. Then we add on the fun magic items and stuff and vrooom!

Thinking about it, I for some reason didn't like the idea of this character having a fly speed, though adding the unseelie template and using air heritage would have made him QUITE adept at flying. I mean, like 210-230ft per round at 1st level adept. Then maybe later on increasing the maneuverability to perfect. I mean... if I really wanted to I could do that. But the idea is for someone who floats on the wind, not flies in it. I'll debate that awesome later.

Anyway, thoughts?

I'm not too sure that it's possible to take a Trait twice. If it is possible, then that is the best news I've heard all day. Also, I would recommend purchasing Rapid Wrath from Ghostwalk for 11,702 GP. It will double the speed of all movement modes as long as it is carried (not wielded). If your DM is really nice, he might allow you to put the doubling effect on a weapon for +3,400 GP. Finally, it seems like you forgot to calculate the +2 level adjustment from the Shadow Creature template. Are you assuming LA buyoff rules?

Yaitanos
2012-05-24, 01:17 AM
I'm not too sure that it's possible to take a Trait twice. If it is possible, then that is the best news I've heard all day. Also, I would recommend purchasing Rapid Wrath from Ghostwalk for 11,702 GP. It will double the speed of all movement modes as long as it is carried (not wielded). If your DM is really nice, he might allow you to put the doubling effect on a weapon for +3,400 GP. Finally, it seems like you forgot to calculate the +2 level adjustment from the Shadow Creature template. Are you assuming LA buyoff rules?

Haven't touched gear, as I don't know what level we're starting at. And it's ahouse rule that we can take traits twice, but only 2 max. The penalties just add up so I'll be losing 2hp a level. That adds up. As for the shadow creature template I'm using is from the Manual of the planes, which gives a speed boost of x1.5 base for no level adjustment. Not quite as cool as the one in Lords of Madness, but neat in of itself. Apparently not supposed to be used for PC's, but negotiations will be made.

Daftendirekt
2012-05-24, 01:29 AM
He's not talking about templates. He's talking about air genasi. They're a race. :smallconfused:

Yaitanos
2012-05-24, 01:34 AM
He's not talking about templates. He's talking about air genasi. They're a race. :smallconfused:

Right, got that. I was commenting on that fact that he said that Air genasi have a lower level adjustment than Half air elementals. When for all intents and purposes the halfies don't while the genasi do. I was going human for the bonus feat so I could take advantage of the half elemental spell like abilities more than once per day. It has more of an impact on their big list than the air genasi 1/day levitate. Though their breathless ability is intriguing...

Could combine the two, get rid of the Up the walls feat to keep magic in the blood and be EVEN more super awes-cheese-ome.

Morph Bark
2012-05-24, 06:24 AM
I think we used a belt of battle to get another full round action to move at full sprint twice in a round.

With the Run feat and two full sprint actions you would've moved 3000 ft in a round. You would've needed to move 6600+ ft (very close to 6700 in fact) in a round to break the sound barrier.

I've often heard and read that they're LA+3. Maybe check the errata?

Elfinor
2012-05-24, 07:55 AM
Half-Air Elementals have LA+3, it's in the MotP 3.5 update (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a).

Person_Man
2012-05-24, 02:30 PM
If homebrew is on the table, you should look at the Vanguard in my signature thread. It's pretty much exactly what you're looking for.

Yaitanos
2012-05-24, 11:57 PM
Half-Air Elementals have LA+3, it's in the MotP 3.5 update (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a).

Well, would ya look at that! Kinda blows but I can work with it. Especially since I was kinda counting on the shadow creature speed boost. This will require more thought. Will probably go with Air genasi unseelie then, replacing magic in the blood with air heritage. Any other suggestions? The game is this saturday.

Roto
2012-05-25, 01:07 AM
A 1 Level dip into Infiltrator (Kalamar Players Guide) grants you +10 to your base speed.. and 1d6 sneak attack.

Elfinor
2012-05-25, 01:16 AM
Well, would ya look at that! Kinda blows but I can work with it. Especially since I was kinda counting on the shadow creature speed boost. This will require more thought. Will probably go with Air genasi unseelie then, replacing magic in the blood with air heritage. Any other suggestions? The game is this saturday. Does the fly speed mean you'll be dropping Elocator from the build? Grab the Lesser Planetouched variant (PGtF, p191) of Air Genasi if you can.