PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to "enchant" Totemist natural weapons?

danzibr
2012-05-21, 10:11 AM
I'm building a 1-20 Warforged Totemist and was wondering what the best ways to boost the weapons are. Essentia can give certain attacks + to attack or damage or both, but it'd be nice to get some other abilities on there, like Flaming or whatever.

For the record, I'm going to be using the Warforged slam attack, Jaws of Death, Second Slam, Girallon Arms, and... something else, Landshark Boots if those stack.

I'm aware that Magic Fang, Greater may be Permanency'd, but I'm not sure the best way to go about it. Plus, would a dispel undo that?

I'm also aware of Amulet of Mighty Fists, which seems like the best way to go (though doesn't stack with the aforementioned), but this still doesn't give things like Flaming.

LordDrakulzen
2012-05-21, 10:35 AM
The Necklace of Natural Weapons from Savage Species works to enchant natural weapons, and allows specific enchantments.

Necklace of Natural Weapons: The enhancement
bonuses on this necklace are applied to attack and damage
rolls involving one or more of the wearer's natural weapons.
In addition, any weapon special quality may be applied to
this necklace, and the quality then applies to those natural
weapons as well. For instance, a +1 throwing returning necklace
of natural weapons would apply its enhancement bonus
and the throwing and returning special abilities to one or
more of the wearer's natural weapons.
Caster Level: 3rd; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, Craft
Magic Arms and Armor; Market Price: 600 gp, plus the cost
of the enhancement bonuses, multiplied by the number of
natural weapons affected. A +1 necklace of natural weapons
that affects one natural weapon costs 2,600 gp; if the same
necklace affects six natural weapons, it costs 15,600 gp.
Weight: —.

My favorite part of that, by the way, is the part that mentions throwing and returning natural weapons... to quote previous poster on different thread "I take a 5-foot step back and throw my bite at them!"

danzibr
2012-05-21, 10:48 AM
The Necklace of Natural Weapons from Savage Species works to enchant natural weapons, and allows specific enchantments.

My favorite part of that, by the way, is the part that mentions throwing and returning natural weapons... to quote previous poster on different thread "I take a 5-foot step back and throw my bite at them!"
Oh man that is perfect. But ouch, it'll be really expensive. I plan on using a racial bite, two racial slams, four upper claws from a soulmeld and two lower claws from another soulmeld. So multiply the price by 9.

This makes me wonder what'd happen if I used different soulmelds.

LordDrakulzen
2012-05-21, 11:04 AM
From Eberron Campaign Setting

Composite Plating: The plating used to build a
warforged provides a +2 armor bonus. This plating
is not natural armor and does not stack with other
effects that give an armor bonus (other than natural
armor). This composite plating occupies the same
space on the body as a suit of armor or a robe, and
thus a warforged cannot wear armor or magic robes.
Warforged can be enchanted just as armor can be.
The character must be present for the entire time it
takes to enchant him.

I would judge that if a worforged can be enchanted like an armor, it can be enchanted like a weapon.

LordDrakulzen
2012-05-21, 11:06 AM
And to answer your question in the original post, yes a Dispel Magic could Dispel a permanancied Magic Fang. It would be subject to a dispel check based on the long winded explanation in the PHB, which I refuse to look at for a long time after reading it 5 times last week...:smalleek:

danzibr
2012-05-21, 11:52 AM
My main concern is getting all of my natural attacks some sort of bonus without spending tons and tons of money. Having 9 attacks before haste or anything is cool and all, but if I'm not swinging for much, it's not much beyond cool. Perhaps I should try to pick up a DFI Bard cohort or something.

LordDrakulzen
2012-05-21, 11:58 AM
I just built a natural attacker with claws, gore, and wings. I gladly spent the 150k on mighty fists. I get what you want, just don't know the way to enchant all the different effects. The thing with weapon enchantments is they are very costly, and difficult to get on natural weapons.

Thought possible: in Magic Item Compendium there's the gems, or jewels or whatever (i always think of them like materia from Final Fantasy 7) that are removable and start out pretty cheap. Don't know if you can put them on all your different attacks but something to look into

zagan
2012-05-21, 12:27 PM
The Kensai (CW) prestige class can allow you to put weapon enhancement bonus and speical property on you natural weapon, you need weapon focus for that weapon and I don't know if you can have more than one.

The thayan gladiator (CoR) also grant you two weapons special property (from a specific list) at 5th and 10th level to one (and only one) of your natural weapons. It also grant a few other benefit like improve natural attack and a bonus attack with that weapon. Also of note it's an evil only Prc (unless you have a nice DM).

The bracers of lightning (MiC p206) can grant the shock weapon property to all your attack for one round as a swift action at will. It cost "only" 11000 gp.

Person_Man
2012-05-21, 03:12 PM
The beauty of the Totemist is that he doesn't need to "enchant" his attacks with anything but soulmelds and chakra binds, and thus does not fall prey to the single largest expenditure for most melee builds. This allows you to more efficiently spend that cash on other things, like magic armor, rings, boots, etc., and non-melee options.

Specifically, the Heart of Fire soulmeld bound to Totem chakra: 1d4 * essentia invested Bonus fire damage to all natural weapons, and Sphinx Claws soulmeld bound to Hands chakra provides you with Pounce with all natural weapons. With just that, 8ish+ attacks, high Strength, and miscellaneous bonuses (Charge, Flanking, etc) you're good to go.

Metahuman1
2012-05-21, 06:04 PM
I personally think a DFI Bard, Optimized for Inspire Courage and DFI, as a cohort, is a wonderful expenditure of a feat. Though a +1 Amulet of Mighty Fists with the speed property and the Sphinx Claws Soul Meld bound to hands goes super extra yummy with this combo. More so if you can score swift action movement somehow, one level of cleric for travel devotion being the preferred method.

Think about it, Charge and make 18 attacks at highest attack bonus + Iteniratives while the Bard adds +4 to hit and +4+4d6 Force damage to each attack/hit, and then move away!

tyckspoon
2012-05-21, 06:21 PM
Specifically, the Heart of Fire soulmeld bound to Totem chakra: 1d4 * essentia invested Bonus fire damage to all natural weapons, and Sphinx Claws soulmeld bound to Hands chakra provides you with Pounce with all natural weapons. With just that, 8ish+ attacks, high Strength, and miscellaneous bonuses (Charge, Flanking, etc) you're good to go.

If you're going with Sphinx Claws for the pounce, it can be worth spending a feat to pick up Shape Soulmeld: Thunderstep Boots. Essentia*d4 Sonic damage when you charge as the shaped effect, so it doesn't use up any of your scarce bind slots, and if you do want to bind it (it's a pretty decent Bind effect, too! This meld is the best thing Soulborns get, steal it shamelessly) it's on the Foot slot so it's not competing with your Totem bind.

awa
2012-05-21, 08:57 PM
custom magic item of at will greater magic fang?