PDA

View Full Version : World-building: Aasimar without Tieflings?

Rift_Wolf
2012-05-21, 10:21 AM
I'm currently putting together a Pathfinder campaign world, and am looking through the bestiaries for colourful and diverse races to put into the setting. I'm one of those players who hates role-playing a human, so I want to offer as much diversity as possible.

The campaign I've put together has a place for Aasimar (As remade devotees of a Good deity rather than children of celestials), but this raises the question; do I have to use Tieflings alongside Aasimar? Both of them seem to go hand in hand, but I'm really against Tieflings, especially the WTH variant rules that some PF module introduced that I know, if I allowed Tieflings into the game, some player would be adamant he should get to use.

But at the same time, a world with Aasimar but no Tieflings would seem unbalanced. Are there any other races people could suggest as Pepsi brand Tieflings? Comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

J.Gellert
2012-05-21, 12:02 PM
You don't "need" to do anything you don't want, and there is no balance you need to uphold.

If tieflings don't have a place in the setting, then they shouldn't be there, and trying to squeeze in an alternative might feel forced.

A campaign world you put together might be with you for a long time. This means that you shouldn't force stuff in that you might regret in the long run, and at the same time it gives you plenty of time to decide later on :smallbiggrin:

awa
2012-05-21, 01:57 PM
I agree if you dont want tiflings dont include them not having an evil asimar wont hurt the game.
edit a lot of races lack an alternative aligned counterpart, off the top of my head their feels like more evil races then good one so your not going to imbalance anything

Yitzi
2012-05-21, 02:06 PM
As the DM, you can make your world however you want. Just be prepared to explain why the Good deities remade their devotees in that way and the Evil ones did not.

Also, if "adamant players" are a problem, you're DMing wrong. If the game requires that a player not get what he want, then you can disallow it. Explain why if possible, but as the DM you get to invoke rule 0. The only three rules that really bind the DM are:

1. You shall not violate the written rules without invoking rule 0. (In other words, don't pretend you're following the rules when you aren't. Of course, this requires that you understand the rules very well.)
2. You shall not mix in-character and out-of-character. (E.g. if a player annoys you as a person, don't take it out on their character; likewise don't take out one character's offenses on another character played by the same player in a different game.)
3. You shall help the players have fun. (This is self-explanatory.)

awa
2012-05-22, 01:57 PM
thing is there are a lot of remade by evil gods monsters and templates, drider, loth touched, are two that pop up right off the top of my head. im certain if you looked through the various books you could find many more.

Yitzi
2012-05-22, 06:48 PM
So there's the answer then.