PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Help on my character and designing an outsider class

vylet
2012-05-21, 02:26 PM
First of all, Hi! this is my first post so please be nice to me. Additionally I am new to dnd, I've only been playing for a few months so please use basic terms and give links to any resources I might need, if possible. Also, sorry if I use the wrong terminology.

The reason why this is here and not in the roleplaying forum is because my character has a weird mix. She started as a C/N half elf/teifling rouge/fighter. She is gonna be turning into some sort of devil spawn thing. I want your guy's input on how to do that. You can read my backround info or skip to the bottom. Thanks fo the help in advance!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right now she is taking levels in infernal outsider and destined bloodline, scorcerer. She is N/E. My dm and I came up with a evil magic ritual that started to unlock her infernal heritage. I'll touch more on that later.

She is going to end up being the ultimate villan at the end of the campaign. (L/E) Yep have some player on player action. Haha I've heard that that is a bad idea in general but at the end we figured it doesnt matter. At the end I will be an epic level character in the mid 30's with 5 other PC's to take me down.
If they win... good for them. If not then they get to fight her again in a post apocolyptic setting where humans are slaves, and devils roam free. The mortal relm looks a lot like Dis and I am trying to prepare it for Asmodeus to rule.

Okay so back to the outsider thing. Like I said there is a magic ritual she did that involved slaughtering a pegacorn and drinking its blood that allowed her to tap into her latent powers...
what do you guys think of that idea? does it sound reasonable?
Then once she reaches level 10 in outsider she has to compleate the second part of the ritual to be considered a full blooded devil and get all of the benifits such as resistances and greater teleport. It works much like the dragon deciple prestige class.. except for that it isn't a class. We made it so that she is actually becoming infernal. As in at the end of 10 levels that will be her race. In light of this we've decided to level her up in outsider simultaneously alongside the rouge/fighter/scorcerer mix. So say I am level 14 overall. If I took levels in outsider I wouldn't be level 15, I would be level 14 with 1 in outsider. In outsider i level up as slow, and everything else as fast. So getting from lvl 1 to lvl2 in outsider would be 3000 xp and so on. The two are seperate. I dont get skill points or feats for the outsider levels, but i do get hd10, good bab, and extra fort/ref/will bonuses...
So what do you think of this idea? Is it good or cheap? I mean I can see how it would be unfair to the other players but i'm the bad guy. It's not suppossed to be fair.

okay so after I get to level 10 in outsider the other pcs will have to kill me.... what they don't know is that by killing her they actually compleate the ritual (one of the ingrediants is betrayl by a friend). so for all intents and purposes she is dead. Some months later my "new" character joins the party. A N/G (almost lawful) destined scorcerer/twfighter named fleur... except she isn't a new character at all. She is the other one in disguise. As a former rouge she has amazing ranks in mundane disguises. As an outsider she got spell like abilities of alter self and undetectable alignment. So this compleatly rational. All she has to do is pretend to be good. Not too hard right?
I know that between 4 different classes I am spreading myself thin, but i still like the idea. What do you think?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay so you've gotten some background info, What do you think would be the best way to build the outsider heritage? You can talk in generalizations for any outsiders, or specifically for me. If we get a good outline then we could create a whole template of how to do this sort of thing to aasimars or anything else trying to unlock their inner potential.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2012-05-21, 05:48 PM
If I were the GM, I would work out a prestige class for this sort of thing. Something like Dragon Disciple but for being an outsider.

Theroc
2012-05-22, 01:56 AM
It almost sounds like your DM is planning to Gestalt (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/gestaltCharacters.htm) your character partway into the game. I imagine that would result in some mild to major complication of your build and the like due to the staggered nature, and would be making your character SIGNIFICANTLY stronger than most other party members(unless you were avoiding optimizing and stuff).

While the flavor sounds neat, the mechanics seem a bit complicated. To avoid rambling aimlessly, I'll try to address each part you bolded.

The magic ritual is fine, it sounds similar to a PrC(Abbreviation for Prestige Class) roleplay requirement, which seems appropriate for your game(though I don't know what a pegacorn is... a unicorn/pegasus?).

I think you'd almost be better off talking to you DM about maybe getting closer to the gestalt idea, or the PrC like Thomar mentioned. Maybe just having a slightly imbalanced PrC would be easier than what you described.

I... don't understand how your character gets 'killed' and then comes back to life. I can't really say much on that note as I can't get my head around it with just what you've described.

I hope some of this is at least partly helpful, but I am realizing my focus is dwindling at this hour.

vylet
2012-05-22, 11:51 AM
....and would be making your character SIGNIFICANTLY stronger than most other party members.....

You are absolutly right on that. I've been worried about it because the entire game my character has already been stronger than everyone. I do do the optimization where everyone else doesn't. So no matter what I do it will be an issue.

...The magic ritual is fine, ....(though I don't know what a pegacorn is... a unicorn/pegasus?)...

yep or in dnd terms a pegacorn would be a half celestial unicorn I think?

I think you'd almost be better off talking to you DM about maybe getting closer to the gestalt idea, or the PrC like Thomar mentioned. Maybe just having a slightly imbalanced PrC would be easier than what you described.

Yeah, it would probably be better if i chose one or the other, Now that I understand more about what they are.

I... don't understand how your character gets 'killed' and then comes back to life. I can't really say much on that note as I can't get my head around it with just what you've described.

I have an erinys(sp?) working with me that will help resurect me. Basically it is gonna be a (very hard to get) componant in the ritual that revives me. sort of like "sheding off the mortal coil" if you will. Kind of like how vampire victims actually die before coming back as a creature of the night.

Anyway the thing about being more powerful is... none of the other Players know this is happening yet. Not even OOC. I am not allowed to use anything other than the better saves in battle, while they are around anyway. The only time they will know what I have become is when she reveals herself. So while I may be stronger in theory, in actual useability I am not. I may already have some scorcerer spells, but I am not allowed to use them until the time is right. does that make sense?

Theroc
2012-05-22, 03:20 PM
Well, I suppose if you can't use the strength then it doesn't matter as much, but I was more concerned about the inevitable PvP encounter.

The Gestalted PC might have a rather large advantage over the party, particularly since you've stated you have a tendency to optimize while the rest do not. Granted, since you're also multiclassing 3-4 times, that would mitigate things a bit(unless you're doing little dips for an OP'd build), so it might come out a wash on that front. The biggest concern would be if you'd had a full casting class on one side, since that would allow you to utterly annihilate your party, Wail of the Banshee on your party if you'd properly optimized your DC's would just kill off half your party, then you could Dominate one to fight the others.

But that's assuming you had fullcasting and if you don't, it won't be as bad as I'm envisioning.

To the resurrection: If someone else is doing it, that's fine. The way you originally described it made me think spontaneous resurrection, hence my difficulty comprehending.

Also: The fact that DYING is part of your character's goal, also balances the encounter slightly, I think, since if you don't DIE in that fight, the ritual isn't complete... so you actually WANT them to beat you there, right?

vylet
2012-05-22, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the help and I've talked to my dm- we are gonna go more for a prestige class thing we think. I understand your concern with the power struggle. The dm is actually nuging and helping the other players to attempt to max their characters so it will be more evenly fought.

The first time they fight me yes I want to lose. I won't even be using my optimized weapons. The second time (after she is resurected) it is suppossed to be a VERY challenging battle.

But no I am not gonna be a full caster ever. Only a max of level 10 in scorcerer. And the majority of my spells are gonna be buffs, or echantments, or illusions. What have you. My character is smart enough to consider the dominate person tactic but too arrogant to use it.

Here's a breakdown of the timeline
1 me as normal rouge/fighter
2 start ritual, gain outsider as a prestige class
3 get to lvl10 in outsider
4 "kill character" then revive her as a full devil
5 "new character" joins party
6 defeat the evil in the land and save the world
7 new character betrays party and reveals herself to be old character
8 party makes a tatical retreat
9 2 year time skip
10 stronger epic level party try to stop me from ruling the world
11 party fights me and either succeeds or...

12 party dies. New campaign in post apocolyptic setting
13 party hopfully succeeds this time and kills me or

14 Party all dies, Aftrerlife campaign
15 party goes to heaven, gets charged with bringing down Asmodeus and given awesome holy power to do it
16 make their way through 9 hells
17 kill me one way or the other
18 bring down asmodeus or

19 die. thats it. game over. evil has taken over the mortal plane.... you had 3 chances to stop it and you failed.

Theroc
2012-05-22, 04:47 PM
My character is smart enough to consider the dominate person tactic but too arrogant to use it.

I just recently made a character based around pride, and planned to use the dominate tactic on enemies.

His rationale: "Bow to my will, LESSER CREATURE!"

That aside, glad I could help, it seems like despite the pitfalls, you guys have thought through most of it pretty well. Good luck and have fun!