PDA

View Full Version : Random Adventures OOC (D&D 3.5)



Pages : 1 2 [3]

Lexin
2013-02-16, 04:46 AM
... I think that with this roll Felix might hear their hearts beating...

missmvicious
2013-02-16, 06:48 AM
Hey guys, today I am gonna be out all day doing a nerd girl pinup shoot and I was wondering if my turn pops up if someone can control my character. I'm gonna lay my hands on Jarvis before I go but after that you know maybe run someone through for me. Pleeeeese

inexorabletruth
2013-02-16, 12:32 PM
Okay guys, here is a preemptive look at your new Battle Grid. It's my first attempt at adjusting for a vertical scale (the further down you go, the smaller the squares get. The idea is a work in progress, so after the battle feel free to tell me what you liked about it and what you didn't like. I'll keep the things you like and discard what you didn't (if it's possible). If you hate the whole thing, let me know that too, and I won't try this again.

Rows come in 3 "heights" so to speak. 1", 3/4" and 1/2". If you are in a square that is larger than your opponent's square, you have high ground. Jump checks from a larger square to a smaller square will also require tumble checks to prevent fall damage when landing.

A few notes:

The scale isn't perfect, I know. But it's good enough for a game.
Yes, I know the map goes east, and you guys are heading north. I only realized that after I spent an hour and a half getting everything the way I like it, so just pretend you're still heading north.
The entrance to the goblin cave is at S8/T7, where the river kind of bunches up to make another pool.
Many of the NPCs won't fit on this map. Assume they are parked a little further south and won't be joining in this fight unless the goblins defeat you.
If you don't like where your character is located, please state a coordinate by tomorrow and I'll make the necessary changes before I post initiative.


Each of you technically has one more round's worth of action before the first goblins can close the gap. Once I post initiative, preparation round shenanigans are done, even if you didn't post your second action by then.

See you tomorrow. And don't forget to bring your can of whoop-ass.

Preliminary Battle Grid!
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/50887717/Random%20Adventures/BattleGrid2.jpg

Jungian
2013-02-18, 12:57 PM
I know it's my initiative order. I'll be posting tonight around 6 est.

missmvicious
2013-02-19, 08:21 PM
Oscar should get magic missile.

Jungian
2013-02-19, 09:12 PM
Would be all over that if I didn't ban evocation and enchantment. In my defense, the character was planned to transmute a meat shield butler into a raging mountain...

Croverus
2013-02-19, 09:29 PM
You can transmute the monk that breaks open goblin skulls like melons into a monk that might hit the goblin so hard in the head it causes a fear effect in the other goblins.

I know if I was a Lv 1 goblin warrior and my buddy's head just was kicked so hard by a nearly naked elf so hard his head exploded, I'd be like, "Screw this I'm going back inside and cowering."

Morale checks are always fun. I had a chart for when a creature should roll for it - whenever it takes more damage than it's constitution score, whenever an ally goes straight from alive to death with no chance to stabalize, whenever a higher ranking "leader" is struck down, and circumstances stuff for some creatures.

Jungian
2013-02-19, 09:35 PM
That's going to the reason Oscar got cracked in the head. It wasn't so much a target to transmute, as much as a fighter solely dedicated to the squishy wizard comfort and survival.

inexorabletruth
2013-02-20, 09:37 AM
Don't forget coordinates, guys.

I don't want to godmod your character's actions, but if you don't tell me where you're moving when you describe a move, or at least who you're attacking when you describe an attack, I have to make a best guess. And if you still decide to be vague and I move and attack for you, I don't want to hear any complaints if it wasn't what you intended your character to do. We all know how to use the battle grid by now... even weird experimental ones like this, and I don't want to pause gameplay to shoot PMs back and forth asking for details that should've been posted on your character's turn.

inexorabletruth
2013-02-20, 10:32 PM
Jungian, it's your turn buddy.

Jungian
2013-02-20, 10:54 PM
I just got home from work, I'll post before crashing.

inexorabletruth
2013-02-21, 04:55 AM
Since you're exhausted from a day of work, I'm going to be nice and assume you meant you were going to Shift first, then cast. Otherwise, my goblin gets an AoO, which would probably mean you and Oscar would have something in common... you'd both be taking naps. :smalltongue:

BTW, Battle Grid:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/50887717/Random%20Adventures/BattleGrid2.jpg

Jungian
2013-02-21, 06:29 AM
Ugh that was what I meant. Oscar would be more permanent..

missmvicious
2013-02-22, 07:35 PM
Tumble check, not a good chance this works but if she can avoid that AoO then she will.
[roll0]

Blehhhhh

inexorabletruth
2013-02-23, 03:46 AM
Psh. Like it matters. You're AC was high enough to deflect the AoOs. Besides my dice roller sucks. I typically roll below 10 for some reason.

Except for that sweet flanking shot I just gave you. I think Gwen's going to need some aspirin after that shot. :smallamused:

Croverus
2013-02-25, 04:38 PM
Sorry for absence. I was away LARPing.

inexorabletruth
2013-02-25, 09:45 PM
I've recently developed an interest in LARPing, so I'm a little jelly.

It would be nice to get out with some nerd friends and swing a plastic sword at their boingloings. :belkar:

Croverus
2013-02-25, 09:50 PM
Lol, well shots to the jewels are discouraged in usually most people disregard any calls to those or to the head (unless you have a helm that protects you). My LARP takes place in Virginia and North Carolina. I'd be happy to talk about it with you in PMs if you want.

Also, that was an epic flurry of blows right there! I was almost going to just use one attack, but taking them both out at once in the method I did is so cool to visualize.

Anyway, not my turn so Gwen gets to try killing one of the helpless gobbies.

inexorabletruth
2013-02-25, 10:15 PM
That's a long commute for me. I live near Dallas, TX. I know there are some larping groups around here. But I'd kind of like to go first with friends, or at least an outrageous amount of alcohol. IRL I'm a bit reclusive and surly without some sort of social buffer between me and new people.

Croverus
2013-02-25, 10:42 PM
Yea, my group is associated with the BSA so alcohol is a no no at them as well. Gotta keep it PG-13.

missmvicious
2013-02-26, 04:15 AM
Now did we want to head back to our merchants and get going or kill all the goblins AND loot everything we can? I'm not hanging out to kill a bunch of unconscious goblins if there isn't loot involved.

Lexin
2013-02-26, 04:47 AM
Now did we want to head back to our merchants and get going or kill all the goblins AND loot everything we can? I'm not hanging out to kill a bunch of unconscious goblins if there isn't loot involved.

Said like a true paladin...

We can try to kill them all, but there would be at least 6 more goblins in the cave and one or more warg. If you think we will beat them, we can go for it...

inexorabletruth
2013-02-26, 02:36 PM
Hmm... well the Gobbos wake up in 24 more seconds. I'll give you guys until tomorrow to decide what you do.

missmvicious
2013-02-27, 01:09 AM
Said like a true paladin...

We can try to kill them all, but there would be at least 6 more goblins in the cave and one or more warg. If you think we will beat them, we can go for it...

All the loot we have is loot that wont be in the hands of monsters. Also think about the dynamic in a D&D setting, looting is the norm so its not wrong to do.
Fyi I want to loot.

inexorabletruth
2013-02-27, 09:35 AM
Mkay... so with no one deciding to go catch up to the caravan, or head down to the goblin cave, I guess we're still in initiative then, since there are still two goblins left in the fight, and one of them is back on his feet... more or less.

So... wat do?

Pound on a blind and defenseless goblin?
Catch up to the caravan?
Go spelunking in the goblin cave?

Lexin
2013-02-27, 09:41 AM
Ehh... okay then.

Goblin Cave!

inexorabletruth
2013-03-01, 12:10 AM
For future ref:
Once the goblin woke up, he was only prone... not defenseless. So, no CdG on the awake goblin. The unconscious goblin, on the other hand, is helpless.

Since you didn't specify which goblin you wish to CdG, I'll go ahead and give you the CdG on the unconscious one.

inexorabletruth
2013-03-01, 04:59 PM
@ Lexin:
I'm ruling that your dog is an open-air dog, and not particularly comfortable in caves, though he is superbly trained. He'll follow you into the cave and fight beside you just fine as long as there is enough light, but you're going to take a -2 penalty to ride checks. If he is injured while in the cave, you take another -2 penalty to ride checks and a -2 penalty to HA checks while in the cave.

Mules and Donkeys can go into caves without penalty.

My reference for this is based on PHB, pg 131


Donkey or Mule: The best kinds of pack animals around, don-
keys and mules are stolid in the face of danger, hardy, surefooted, and capable of carrying heavy loads over vast distances. Unlike a horse, a donkey or a mule is willing (though not eager) to enter dun- geons and other strange or threatening places. (See the Monster Manual for more information on donkeys and mules.)


Dog, Riding: This Medium dog is specially trained to carry a Small humanoid rider. It is brave in combat like a warhorse. You take no damage when you fall from a riding dog. (See the Monster
Manual for more information on riding dogs.)

I'm definitely imposing RAI here, and RAW beats RAI. If you find a RAW reason why you shouldn't take penalties for mounted combat in a cave, please let me know.

In the meantime, do you wish to ride Alfie, or dismount. I'll edit the map accordingly once I know.

Lexin
2013-03-01, 09:42 PM
Felix would be riding, he doesn't have HA...

inexorabletruth
2013-03-02, 06:21 AM
BTW,

Combat XP:
600 each.

Croverus
2013-03-02, 07:24 AM
Level up! Do we level up on the fly or have to wait till we rest?

inexorabletruth
2013-03-02, 07:50 AM
You level up when you rest.

The whole "Ding!" effect never made sense to me. Plus, I'll give bonus RP if you fluff out how you suddenly attain your new abilities.

Croverus
2013-03-02, 08:01 AM
Ah, I was gonna see if I could start using my Deflect Arrows, sort of a middle-of-combat spark of inspiration resulting in him learning his new technique.

No real way to show training in learning evasion, or suddenly gaining +1 to all his saves. The +1 to attack rolls I suppose will just him doing some monk training.

Lexin
2013-03-02, 08:23 AM
Umm... I can't move up to I9, or is it simply that map is not updated yet? (and extra question: wouldn't the torch help a little, if Felix is standing in I9?)

inexorabletruth
2013-03-02, 03:08 PM
Durr dee hurr...

I updated it, but forgot to relink it. I was really tired. Fixing it now. Sorry. :smalleek:

Your torch doesn't have near the radiance of the hooded lamp, but it did help. It provided clear illumination in areas where there was previously shadowy illumination. You'll see your torches area of effect in the new map.

Jungian
2013-03-04, 06:15 PM
Just arrived back home from the trip, feeling crushed by the drive at the moment. I'll try to post this evening, but I may be delayed till tomorrow morning.

inexorabletruth
2013-03-05, 03:05 AM
It's okay. I've been working extra hours, and several players have been AFK at the moment. Normally I'd harp on that 24 hour rule, but lately, the break has been helpful.

inexorabletruth
2013-03-05, 05:50 PM
No IC activity in 3 days alert!

I'm imposing the 24 hour rule. If I don't see any posts IC before I go to work tomorrow, I'll post a roll call.

Lexin
2013-03-06, 02:36 AM
... only one person can post IC in initiative... (or am I wrong?)

Croverus
2013-03-06, 02:42 AM
We are still in initiative, yea, but I think we can at least plan our actions for each turn. I've already moved this turn.

inexorabletruth
2013-03-06, 02:48 AM
So, we're waiting on Jungian.

He can't be delayed, because he's already last in initiative. So, if he doesn't post tomorrow, he loses his turn.

Jungian
2013-03-06, 08:39 AM
Post is up, sorry for the delay. What is the height of the cave?

inexorabletruth
2013-03-06, 02:16 PM
The cave ceiling is only 10' high at the moment, but it appears to get larger. I updated the map to reveal the extra square you can see with you holding the lantern as opposed to Gwen, but I'm not going to update anything IC, because nothing else really changed.

@Jungian:
Are you holding the charge of Enlarge Person, or just readying an action?

@miss:
You're up.

missmvicious
2013-03-06, 11:42 PM
Goblins that have taken levels, good to know.

inexorabletruth
2013-03-07, 12:39 PM
Croverus, you're up.

Lexin
2013-03-13, 01:16 PM
If the map is fully updated, and most of the group is far behind Felix, he would delay his turn till they catch up. Going alone is not for him.

Croverus
2013-03-13, 01:35 PM
I posted so yeah, whoever is next

inexorabletruth
2013-03-14, 02:10 AM
Alfie/Felix is up. The battle grid is now updated.

inexorabletruth
2013-03-17, 11:08 PM
*pbtpbtpbptpbtpbtp*
:smalltongue:

Ok... so we've been inactive a while. We're back online and no longer seem to have any problems. So, that said, here's the initiative:

Initiative:
Feddin
Alfie
Felix
Oscar (+4 AC) (2 hp)
Gwen (12 hp)

And the Battle Grid:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/50887717/Random%20Adventures/BattleGrid3.jpg

Lexin
2013-03-18, 03:51 AM
Gwen and Oscar 'crept forward' are they close to Felix now, so he can scout ahead again? (map is still the same...)

inexorabletruth
2013-03-18, 11:36 AM
I'm catching up now. I was trying to update it at work last night, but kept having too many snags. Once again, sorry for all the holdups.

Jungian
2013-03-25, 09:06 PM
Alright in posting mode again, so what's the status of the game?

Croverus
2013-03-26, 06:59 PM
Sorry for being inactive guys, I'm back. Who's turn is it?

Oh, it's mine. Time for some shuriken action!

inexorabletruth
2013-04-01, 01:59 PM
Don't be afraid to PM me if I go inactive for a few days. I've been really busy lately, and I'm having a hard time keeping track of what games I have and haven't updated.

inexorabletruth
2013-04-22, 12:58 PM
I think it's time to declare Random Adventurers dead.

ToD: 4/22/13 12:55 pm Central.

Guys, you were really fun to game with. I'm going to miss being your DM, but my schedule is just so demanding right now, that I don't even have time to go to the playground anymore, let alone run campaigns on it.

I hope to eventually see you around on the playground again. In the meantime, happy gaming all!

Lexin
2013-04-22, 01:02 PM
I think it's time to declare Random Adventurers dead.

ToD: 4/22/13 12:55 pm Central.

Guys, you were really fun to game with. I'm going to miss being your DM, but my schedule is just so demanding right now, that I don't even have time to go to the playground anymore, let alone run campaigns on it.

I hope to eventually see you around on the playground again. In the meantime, happy gaming all!

Have fun with your real life.
I have just request, if you ever come back to DMing on this forum let me know (please). I am quite sure you are the best DM I met here.

Croverus
2013-04-22, 04:51 PM
Seconded, it was a pleasure playing in both your games.